How do you battle the "Christian" protestors?

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Normally it is best to just walk away, however an incident happened last night at Union Square in New York City, in where a "Christian" Church was causing a huge commotion. They wearing shirts and yelling on the top of their lungs on how homosexuals, Catholics, jews, and random sinners are in need of repentance or they are going to hell.

So, is it the yelling and t-shirts you object to? 'Cause the message of repentance and the jeopardy of Hell is quite biblical. Such things ought to be preached to lost sinners.

They even had the audacity to be a bit racial by saying negative things about Black people (ironically, some of the protestors were black). It was a huge blow up, with cops around and it reached about 4+ hours.

"A bit racial"? What does that mean, exactly? Is what they said about black folk true? These days, truth is being smothered beneath a mountain of PC rhetoric and pejoratives and society is being groomed to be utterly intolerant of it. Certainly, a wicked World on the fast track to eternal punishment has never wanted to hear the truth about sin and judgment. But if Christians don't tell them, who will? I don't think causing a stir of itself is necessarily a bad thing - especially if it provokes people to think about their eternal destiny and the character of their living. We are in a world that is working very hard to distract people from the Big Questions, from pondering those deep things that might lead them to God. Fewer and fewer of the lost are walking into churches and so it seems to me quite reasonable that Christians would leave the safe confines of their buildings and venture into the streets where the lost are and proclaim to them the Gospel which they so desperately need to hear.

Now, having said all this, Scripture is very clear about how we share our light:

2 Timothy 2:24-26
24 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,
25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,
26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've seen plenty of ultra fundamentalists, particularly among Protestants, who castigate Catholics, Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, and pretty much anyone with whom they disagree. Sadly, I don't think there's much that can be done.
Like Brinny says . . . pray.

In such a situation, I might first pray and enjoy God and then mix in and see who I connect with for a personal conversation, knowing how God's word will not return void. Plus, I could discover a real Christian to share with, in the crowd. And God can use whatever He has us say, plus He uses our example > not controlling and changing people's actions, but example >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

I think of this > if you go into the situation and are behaving well, this will stand out. You are quiet, you are smiling at various people and blessing. You might say, "God bless you" to one of the actors, and be kind and gentle with the person, and years later this can set in and effect the person. It can convict him or her, even right then, though the person might keep on acting up . . . still the person inside is getting a little confused that someone is responding gently and humbly. But the person is clueless, at the time, so he or she does not change, right away . . . maybe. But even decades later, the person mighty remember you, after becoming like you :)

Yelling and waving signs around is pointless and will only cause people to turn farther from Jesus.
Well, I consider Philippians 1:15-18. God is able to use anything and anyone for His good. But the person being used can miss out on finding out how to love. Even if the racket inciters were not preaching Jesus, that got Muslims and Jews to preach Him by saying the trouble makers were not like Him, I consider!

I also think of 1 Peter 4:17 which says we who are God's children get judged "first". So, in case ones are making a project of pointing at others, I might ask someone if he or she is at least as careful to point out how he or she is wrong . . . since the children of God get judged "first" (1 Peter 4:17) and we are example of honesty.

Likewise, are we busy with pointing at wrong demonstrators . . . more than dealing with how we ourselves get judged "first" (1 Peter 4:17)? :) It is so easier to point at someone else, in order to feel we are right and show how superior we are. And there are plenty of rigged things . . . design plays to keep our attention elsewhere, than to seek our own personal correction by our Heavenly Father > Hebrews 12:4-11.

i've heard these type of christians as examples for Atheists to use and I never really understood why they were examples, but after what happened last night, i can understand now.
I understand there are atheists who say they greatly value being objective. So, if ones are objective, they won't assume that a few people or one website speaks for everyone in a certain group. And they will not only assume that one or two churches represent Christianity, but they might check out various groups and worship places, and not just sit on their hinies pointing at the first wrong people they can find.

And if I am objective, I think, I will let each person speak for oneself, and I will not just glump every atheist together and assume that one or two atheists speak for all of them.

Not all atheists assume that a handful of bad actors represent the group they claim to represent. So, each atheist can speak for oneself :)

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, is it the yelling and t-shirts you object to? 'Cause the message of repentance and the jeopardy of Hell is quite biblical. Such things ought to be preached to lost sinners.

"A bit racial"? What does that mean, exactly? Is what they said about black folk true? These days, truth is being smothered beneath a mountain of PC rhetoric and pejoratives and society is being groomed to be utterly intolerant of it. Certainly, a wicked World on the fast track to eternal punishment has never wanted to hear the truth about sin and judgment. But if Christians don't tell them, who will? I don't think causing a stir of itself is necessarily a bad thing - especially if it provokes people to think about their eternal destiny and the character of their living. We are living in a world that is working very hard to distract people from the Big Questions, from pondering those deep things that might lead them to God. Fewer and fewer of the lost are walking into churches and so it seems to me quite reasonable that Christians would leave the safe confines of their buildings and venture into the streets where the lost are and proclaim to them the Gospel which they so desperately need to hear.

Now, having said all this, Scripture is very clear about how we share our light:

2 Timothy 2:24-26
24 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,
25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,
26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

Selah.

Given the first hand witness of the OP, I think you addressed the concern when you quoted 2 Tim. The description in the OP is in no way gentle to all, able to teach, patient, or showing humility in correcting.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That is true.. I agree that 9/10 times you shouldn't get involved but at the same time there is a rare event in where it is just felt in the inside that you should atleast show a good/true example of who Jesus is. That whole park attracted a huge gathering of the public and the bright side is that even the non-believers (Muslims, Jews, Atheists)were going "Jesus isn't like that".

But just out of curiosity, is there a verse or chapter in the Bible that rebukes this?

Perhaps it doesn't always apply here, but regarding judging people outside the church:
1 Corinthians 5:12

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, I consider Philippians 1:15-18. God is able to use anything and anyone for His good. But the person being used can miss out on finding out how to love. Even if the racket inciters were not preaching Jesus, that got Muslims and Jews to preach Him by saying the trouble makers were not like Him, I consider!

Of course God can work through all things, I never said otherwise.

I also think of 1 Peter 4:17 which says we who are God's children get judged "first". So, in case ones are making a project of pointing at others, I might ask someone if he or she is at least as careful to point out how he or she is wrong . . . since the children of God get judged "first" (1 Peter 4:17) and we are example of honesty.

Likewise, are we busy with pointing at wrong demonstrators . . . more than dealing with how we ourselves get judged "first" (1 Peter 4:17)? :) It is so easier to point at someone else, in order to feel we are right and show how superior we are. And there are plenty of rigged things . . . design plays to keep our attention elsewhere, than to seek our own personal correction by our Heavenly Father > Hebrews 12:4-11.

I apologize if I came across as attempting to "sound superior". Actually I am well aware of how I have fallen short of the glory of God.

That is much of the reason that I am uncomfortable with how many Christians yell and wave signs in people's faces, screaming that they are sinners going to hell. It's as though these Christians have forgotten how much they too have fallen short, and how much they need grace and forgiveness, because they seem completely unwilling to extend it to anyone else. Instead, they offer only anger and judgement.

And so, yes, I am very concerned that such Christians are pushing people further from Christ.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I apologize if I came across as attempting to "sound superior". Actually I am well aware of how I have fallen short of the glory of God.

That is much of the reason that I am uncomfortable with how many Christians yell and wave signs in people's faces, screaming that they are sinners going to hell. It's as though these Christians have forgotten how much they too have fallen short, and how much they need grace and forgiveness, because they seem completely unwilling to extend it to anyone else. Instead, they offer only anger and judgement.

And so, yes, I am very concerned that such Christians are pushing people further from Christ.
How quick we are to forget we wore the same shoes eh?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's right; you didn't. I am just making the point.

I apologize if I came across as attempting to "sound superior".
Amariselle, I have all along admired how you share caringly and humbly and honestly. I see how now you have been getting more into the middle of discussions, than you seemed to do, at first; I was getting worried that you would not share what you have to offer. So, I do not take you to mean you feel superior.

How quick we are to forget we wore the same shoes eh?
amen . . . good for me to remember.

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That's right; you didn't. I am just making the point.

Amariselle, I have all along admired how you share caringly and humbly and honestly. I see how now you have been getting more into the middle of discussions, than you seemed to do, at first; I was getting worried that you would not share what you have to offer. So, I do not take you to mean you feel superior.

amen . . . good for me to remember.

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

Thank you Com7fy8. :)

Yes, it is good for us all to remember.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Perhaps it doesn't always apply here, but regarding judging people outside the church:
1 Corinthians 5:12
It applies very well all the time when appropriate.
Remember all the men of God preached "REPENT OF SIN" = "TURN TO GOD, DO WHAT IS RIGHT, FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS AT HAND (TODAY!) " ...
So for idolators who are NOT in the assembly, they may hear the Truth and may repent to be forgiven,
but
HOW CAN THEY HEAR, if NO ONE PREACHES ? and HOW CAN ANYONE PREACH , if THEY ARE NOT SENT ? (paraphrased NT)

Within the assembly, there is no excuse for idolatry, or corrupting the image of God with any sin, or changing from worshiping God the Creator to worshiping any creature, or defiling the image of God with blasphemy or messages that originated with evil intent (whether other gods or evolution or humanism; anything opposed to God's Purpose in Jesus)....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That is true.. I agree that 9/10 times you shouldn't get involved but at the same time there is a rare event in where it is just felt in the inside that you should atleast show a good/true example of who Jesus is. That whole park attracted a huge gathering of the public and the bright side is that even the non-believers (Muslims, Jews, Atheists)were going "Jesus isn't like that".

But just out of curiosity, is there a verse or chapter in the Bible that rebukes this?

Romans 12
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Hebrews 12
14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

We can take the verses to heart. I doubt if the agitators will.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Here's what you do. You make a sign that's just the right size to fit in your briefcase. Write on it "On behalf of all sane Christians, I apologize for these jerks" Then just carry it around with you.

When one of these embarassing debacles pops up, you just whip out your sign, and stand silently in front of the jerks. Somebody will use their phone to take your picture and you will become internet-famous. :amen:

I would never do that! It's hateful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I can't lop Protestants to be this, because I am a frequent attendee at Non-Denominational Church (ironic due to my theological views) and the main reason why i go there is because they present God the right way. A loving God... i've heard these type of christians as examples for Atheists to use and I never really understood why they were examples, but after what happened last night, i can understand now.

The whole "love thy neighbor" was said, but they did have excuses and "scriptural references" to answer back. One of them being the fact that the Apostles did the same during the early times of Christianity --preaching around, telling the crowds that their sins are damning them, turn to christ". Hopefully one of the people there filmed it and will upload it around the net so you can get a visual example.

Nevertheless it was really that bad. The amount of attention drawn and the amount of people they argued with was something i've never seen before.

1 Thessalonians 2
. 7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children: 8 So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.

9 For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God. 10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe: 11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children, 12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.

Hurting people are drawn to caring people.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Hurting people are drawn to caring people.
And
sinners are drawn to the comfort of places that coddle their sin, all over the world and throughout the untied states.

Oh , some (a few)
repent , yes, when they HEAR and
and then they TELL OTHERS "REPENT, For the Kingdom of God IS AT HAND" and "Go and sin NO MORE".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I would never so that! It's hateful!
Not if you do it WITHOUT hate !

Notice that "hateful"* is used most often by sinners to describe Jesus and the disciples of Jesus ,
than it is used by Jesus or the disciples of Jesus to describe sinners !

ODD , isn't it ?

*"hateful" was used a couple or more times in this thread, but is not IN THE OP OR TITLE AT ALL !
Just "made it up" ?!

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus tells us to speak the truth in love - to boldly proclaim the truth of the Gospel with love and not judgment.
Ephesians 4:1-2 tells believers to "live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." So, long before any talk of speaking the truth in love, we are called to humility and to put others first.
sure , and humility involves obedience .. but he had a valid point about judging this case on "hearsay"
though Both points of view are wrong if we do nothing but "speak " love .
many who rant repent ..- do not go out and heal the sick feed the poor etc.
many who softly say . speak the truth in love .. -do not go out and heal the sick feed the poor etc .

making BOTH wrong until they do it .. and when they do it , they will be too busy to speak soft or loud but empty words ;)

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What kind of biblical verse can you give that rebukes this kind of acts? Do you and your church support this yourself - going into a public area with huge signs "Jesus is God", "Repent" and yell at the top of your lungs as to why they should repent?
Since I have not seen exactly what happened, I will just say that as long as no one was subjected to insults, there is nothing wrong with any of the above, so why would you rebuke it? It is time that people heard publicly that Jesus is indeed God, and all sinners do indeed need to repent. To make these proclamations publicly is also to show love, since all sinners are on their way to Hell. The first words out of the mouth of John the Baptist and Christ were "REPENT", and if anything is sorely needed today it is repentance throughout America.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not if you do it WITHOUT hate !

Notice that "hateful"* is used most often by sinners to describe Jesus and the disciples of Jesus ,
than it is used by Jesus or the disciples of Jesus to describe sinners !

ODD , isn't it ?

*"hateful" was used a couple or more times in this thread, but is not IN THE OP OR TITLE AT ALL !
Just "made it up" ?!

You're blind IF you don't know the difference between hate and love. I say that type of sign is hateful.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Since I have not seen exactly what happened, I will just say that as long as no one was subjected to insults, there is nothing wrong with any of the above, so why would you rebuke it? It is time that people heard publicly that Jesus is indeed God, and all sinners do indeed need to repent. To make these proclamations publicly is also to show love, since all sinners are on their way to Hell. The first words out of the mouth of John the Baptist and Christ were "REPENT", and if anything is sorely needed today it is repentance throughout America.

And if anyone is going to repent, it is because God brought it about.

Upvote 0