How do you Balance your Academic Life with God?

Jaedan

Take this brother may it serve you well
Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

I have a very hectic semester coming up (3 highschool classes, 2 dual enrollment classes at a local college, one SAT prep class, and other activities) that is going to be more demanding than my fall semester. Moreover, I'm planning to do as well as I did in my fall semester (All A's).

I'm not worried about my high school and dual enrollment classes. However, I'm very worried about how I'm going to do on my SAT test (I really want to excel on my SAT). This worry has led to me feeling very anxious in regards to how long I should study, how vigorous should my studying be, etc.

Due to this worry, I have been also getting thoughts concerning how much time I should spend with God. At the moment, I feel as if I should just abandon God for now and focus only on studying and prepping.

In regards to my faith, I have been significantly struggling with my relationship with God (minor thoughts about his existence, trust issues, and etc). My struggle with trying to understand God can be physically and emotionally exhausting sometimes. I don't want to damage my relationship with God (it doesn't need to get worse than it is right now). However, at the moment, I see my struggles with God as a hindrance (and a distraction)

So the overall question I have is: how should I balance my academic life with God? And is it wrong to put a higher priority on my academics instead of God?

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

I have a very hectic semester coming up (3 highschool classes, 2 dual enrollment classes at a local college, one SAT prep class, and other activities) that is going to be more demanding than my fall semester. Moreover, I'm planning to do as well as I did in my fall semester (All A's).

I'm not worried about my high school and dual enrollment classes. However, I'm very worried about how I'm going to do on my SAT test (I really want to excel on my SAT). This worry has led to me feeling very anxious in regards to how long I should study, how vigorous should my studying be, etc.

Due to this worry, I have been also getting thoughts concerning how much time I should spend with God. At the moment, I feel as if I should just abandon God for now and focus only on studying and prepping.

In regards to my faith, I have been significantly struggling with my relationship with God (minor thoughts about his existence, trust issues, and etc). My struggle with trying to understand God can be physically and emotionally exhausting sometimes. I don't want to damage my relationship with God (it doesn't need to get worse than it is right now). However, at the moment, I see my struggles with God as a hindrance (and a distraction)

So the overall question I have is: how should I balance my academic life with God? And is it wrong to put a higher priority on my academics instead of God?

Why can't the use and the education of your mind simply be seen as a part of your life as it lived each day in the Lord? Personally, I don't separate out being active in academics and learning from living out the "having of faith," nor do I think they need to be seen as completely separate or anti-thetical to one another.

Sure, academics can in various ways affect the thoughts and evaluations a person can have about the qualities inherent to the Christian faith, but I don't see why 'learning' has to be soley seen as a separate thing. Loving God with one's mind would include its effective and honest use, not the cutting of one's self off from the world in a cloistered, cultic pocket of thought.

Those are my initial thoughts. I know a lot more can be said on this topic, one that's certainly quite relevant these days, for sure. :cool:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The real question would be, 'Are you willing to put God FIRST concerning the matter?

Proverbs 3:6 (KJV) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
College is going to be at least that hectic once the semesters really get going. Welcome to life.

Treat the SAT studying as if it's another class.

Take walks or something that's up and about, for breaks and balance. This should not include reading. You can do prayer as you walk. And since you're breaking up what you're doing to keep your brain fresh, you're not as likely to be too tired of reading to crack open your Bible when it's time for a devotion. Or, if you find yourself getting too tired of reading to crack open your Bible, get an audio Bible for those walks, or just close your eyes and start listening.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This worry has led to me feeling very anxious in regards to how long I should study, how vigorous should my studying be, etc.

Due to this worry, I have been also getting thoughts concerning how much time I should spend with God.

May I suggest that you follow the pattern God has given us of 6 days of work and one day of rest, relaxation and recreation.

In other words don't study on Sunday but set that aside to attend church, meet friends and to chill/relax.

You could start or finish the day with a short Bible reading and prayer.
As the Bible says, man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from God.

As for having doubts and questions, that is a sign of a growing faith, so you could use some of the free time you have on Sundays to find the answers to your doubts and questions.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We're all going to be unbalanced at times and Tolworth's advice is pretty good. Taking one day "off" helps you reset the balance. It might be you have a test on a Monday in which case you might have to hit the books after church on Sunday. In that case, relax a bit on Saturday.

However, you might find being overloaded for one semester isnt all that bad. I took 21 credit hours (7 courses) both semesters of my final year in college. I was also the treasurer of my fraternity and had to manage the books and the payroll for our cook. I got the best grades in college that year. I simply was forced to being organized. I still had time on Friday nights for socializing or Saturday afternoons for college football games. Sunday mornings, I headed off for church. I'd study on Sunday afternoons as Mondays were pretty hectic.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

??? Yikes! You're going to abandon the One who gave you life and sustains it at every moment? You're going to abandon the One who has given you the capacity to think, and work, and earn good grades? You're going to abandon the One to whom you will give an account at the Final Judgment and who will determine your eternity?

It is a dangerous thing to think that there is anything with which God ought to be in balance. God stands above all things, without peer, answerable to no one. He is the Center of the Universe, and the sole reason you exist; He is "in balance" with nothing; for nothing in the universe that He has made is His equal. How, then, is it that you think your studies may take priority over Him?

Have you sought God's will concerning your future course? I expect, given your wandering from Him, that you haven't. Your life, though, was brought into being for His purposes, not yours. You will not find the kind of fulfillment and meaning in anything else that you can find in Him. When you live aligned with your created purpose, there is meaning, and joy, and contentment that no career, or relationship, or accumulation of wealth can produce.

Far more vital, I think, than academic study is settling within yourself the matter of your relationship with God. Answers to questions about God, about His existence, and about your connection to Him may be found at the following:

www.crossexamined.org
www.reasonablefaith.org
www.str.org
www.discovery.org

Proverbs 3:5-10
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.
8 It will be healing to your body And refreshment to your bones.
9 Honor the LORD from your wealth And from the first of all your produce;
10 So your barns will be filled with plenty And your vats will overflow with new wine.

1 Corinthians 10:31
31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Matthew 6:31-33
31 "Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'
32 "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I dont know if you are aware of this or not, that one can stay connected to God even in their academic studies. These are some of the benefits we can get to enjoy as children of the Most high .You'll find yourself even managing your workload better and excelling more in your exams and assignments etc beyond measure, just as long as you stay connected in the spirit. Ask for the holyspirit to lead, teach and show you how and you will be amazed at some of the things you can do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0