Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Personally I'd be cautious of viewing personal upkeep and spirituality as diametrically opposed. A healthy body after can be a huge advantage for a healthy mind, let alone a functioning emotional chemistry, better sleep, etc - all of which positively feedback into your spiritual life.

Also, to me when I'm out and about I consider myself a tool at God's disposal, so being fit enough to help out where needed is important to me. Old lady pinned under a burning car? I'm right on it. Frightened kitten stuck in a tree unable to come down? Up I go :grinning:

Now, if you choose to fill your workout time with active spirituality then podcasts, sermons, lectures, audio Bibles are aplenty. But I would consider also the value of just having silent time between you and God in at least some of these cases. Usually when I hike I just try to be in the present moment, appreciating the glory of God's Creation, often just breathing in a "thank" and out a "you" to God with each breath.

Your milage may vary... :grinning:

Upvote 0

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
How do you focus on growing spiritually and still take care of your physical appearance?. I have noticed that the more we grow spiritually, the less time we tend to spend on physical appearance. Is there a need for balance and how is this done?

It sounds as though what you're describing is a shift in the area of vanity as you grow spiritually. Vanity becomes less important, and many people do not even realize until they grow spiritually that they are actually suffering from vanity. There's a difference between vanity and taking good care of yourself, being neat, presenting yourself well, etc. It's typically about the amount of time that we invest in these things and the priority that we put on them. Of course we all want to look as nice and as pleasing as possible, at least the majority of people want to, but to invest so much time and obsess over how we look is vanity.

Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say what I have read thus far are useful thoughts and strike a balance well. The Lord has used illness in my life as a Spiritual tool, sometimes to excruciating limits. I am now able to see the Spiritual value far outweighs any physical limitations as a result however. With that said I still try walking a lot, lifting weights to keep my strength up and eating a primarily plant based diet. I am getting near 60 and have a good height to weight ratio, try to practice good hygiene, etc.. but like the above writers said try to be aware when that becomes too much the focus while at the same time trying not to let myself go.

Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
How do you focus on growing spiritually and still take care of your physical appearance?. I have noticed that the more we grow spiritually, the less time we tend to spend on physical appearance. Is there a need for balance and how is this done?

I can't divorce my spirituality from my physical appearance. I endeavor to always look reasonably decently dressed and my hair done, (I don't wear makeup) unless I'm at home. I stand in front of my students daily and it is incumbent on me to be appropriate. When I wash my hair (which I have a lot of), I give thanks for the water, the shampoo and yes, the mop on my head. When I dress, I give thanks for the clothes. When I drive to school, I pray for my students, that I can not only teach them, but somehow influence their lives in a positive manner. When I grade papers, I ask for the grace and guidance to see where my students are having problems and pray for the words to use to help them understand. My faith is entwined with my temporal self.

As a mom who had many small children, my daily routine is still short, sweet and to the point. It takes me 15 minutes or less to get ready, not including a shower. As I am doing that, I have my morning conversation with my Lord. There were times when the prayer was no more than "Lord, help me from losing it with the kids today". Now, it's more centered on the children I am about to teach.

I do have a dress code for school, and since I'm an active teacher, I usually dress fairly plainly, clothes that allow me to get up, sit down, sit on the floor if necessary, stand on a ladder. Sometimes my day feels like I've run a marathon.

Ok...back to the original question. Find a balance. Growing spiritually, for me, leads to taking care of my personal appearance. I represent Christ even if I don't say a word about it. There's no reason to "let myself go" in favor of spirituality. Yes, I do go get my hair cut and colored, manicures and pedicures done. As I said, I'm a teacher, high school age. Its incumbent on me to be an example to the young women and men God has given me to teach.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0