How do you balance participating in 'regular' society while also being a good Christian?

justaconfusedgirl

Jul 7, 2018
South
✟16,176.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This might sound a bit like a debate but the question came across my mind when I was thinking about my own issues.

Im wondering in what ways people have ensured they are not isolating themselves and are participating with others in society while being a good Christian? Has it only really been possible through mixing mostly just with other Christians or has it been easy to find the right balance?

I have isolated myself for a long time but wish to make sure I start mixing with others though with that comes unhealthy temptations. Im single, a virgin and I don't mix with many people..I don't wish to stay like this but I wonder whether anyone here has successfully changed from being like I am now, to being someone who can participate in a lot of things without being tempted into sinning too much? I have a history of gender dysphoria and living a female to male transgender lifestyle which I am now repenting against so I would feel nervous and guilty about the potential of sinning again so soon

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What you are asking is what we are all trying to figure out. One thing is for certain:

But God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.” ~2 Timothy 2:19

Therefore prioritize departing from iniquity over rubbing shoulders with wicked people. You have no trouble being in the world. You've got that covered. You're here. But it's not being of the world that we are challenged with.

Remember bad company corrupts good morals and also it says this:

Dead flies make the perfumer’s ointment give off a stench; so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor. ~Ecclesiastes 10:1

So you can do a lot of work towards becoming righteous and get quickly wiped out by engaging with the world on THEIR terms. Keep to being safe in the Lord and interact with those who are coming to your side of things, rather than you going to them.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This might sound a bit like a debate but the question came across my mind when I was thinking about my own issues.

Im wondering in what ways people have ensured they are not isolating themselves and are participating with others in society while being a good Christian? Has it only really been possible through mixing mostly just with other Christians or has it been easy to find the right balance?

I have isolated myself for a long time but wish to make sure I start mixing with others though with that comes unhealthy temptations. Im single, a virgin and I don't mix with many people..I don't wish to stay like this but I wonder whether anyone here has successfully changed from being like I am now, to being someone who can participate in a lot of things without being tempted into sinning too much? I have a history of gender dysphoria and living a female to male transgender lifestyle which I am now repenting against so I would feel nervous and guilty about the potential of sinning again so soon
I can’t really answer the participating in regular society part, since I really just go to work (in a hospital), interact with my family, and go to Church, also leading our Church’s youth group. But I would say to you what I have said to my youth...as a Christian, our identity is in Christ. Our society places far too much emphasis on our identity in our gender, in our sexual preference, in our race, in our political party, in our nationality, in ourselves in general. Seek first your identity in Christ...everything else will follow. There is no point in treating a symptom (sinful actions) without dealing with the underlying cause (our sinful separation from God - and that applies to all of us).

I hope that makes some sense and is helpful. I can’t pretend to understand the difficulties you may have faced and are facing, but I pray that you may find guidance, love and support as you face them.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

For a good portion of college, Ive identified as bisexual, up til last year. It has not been easy, but getting into your Word is what is going to transform you. I feel like that realm of LGBT, the huge common factor is the confusion of gender identity, so in that aspect I can relate to you. When I left, it was like a "now what? Where do I start? How does being me in this body suppose to work?". So for that, you need to be able to discern truth from lies, to know when you are vulnerable and your triggers. And be able to find some sort of group to sort things out. The goal with that is to eliminate the anxiety and fear of having thoughts. Do not fear thoughts, thoughts are nothing without desire and actions.Once I seperated my temptation from my identity, I was no longer a slave to it, and I saw it for what it is. You are saved, your past is over, that transgender part is dead, your identity is now in Christ. You are now what you are created to be, a woman, not some sexual classification foolishness, so strive to be comfortable and confident in it. Learn what it means to be a woman in Christ.

If anyone ask you who you are now, you tell them you are a woman. If they bother you about identity, tell them your identity is with Christ.Thats all people need to know and thats all that matters.

In terms of how to be able to co-exist with society.You have to first establish the things that you would and would not do. Some are more clearly stated than others. You also have to know what you would be tempted to do. But more importantly, don't lose sight of the kingdom.

You'll find that there are things that although you can do, it would not be wise to do. There are things that you just cannot participate in or you know that it will not glorify God. Remember the commission, to go out to all the world and preach the gospel, to make disciples. I feel when you organize your life with that goal, you end up talking with more non-believers than you think. But they will be meeting that are of quality.

You rep God wherever you go, and people have to see God through you. A good indicator is that they are not coming for you to do careless things, they see you as someone wholesome in their ways, and you spark deep conversations about the most important things in this life, like their soul, and why the world works the way it does, and what about this God that you talk about. when someone meets with you, and wants to talk to you, it has to be of an expectation that they will leave enriched.

So its important that you decipher the environment in which youre able to be a good witness to them. So that right there would eliminate things like clubbing, or bars, or parties that are rowdy, or gatherings that are about chaos. Your time is of quality. This frees you up to a whole range of things you can do and participate. When I witness those who are in sinful lifestyle, its like they repeat a vicious cycle of things they do, their world is limited to the small little god they made of theirselves. They only feel lead to talk to those that agree with them, that agree with their lifestyle.

But this walk with Christ is teaching me how to reach out to people period. My choices of what I want to do feels unlimited, im not bound to my own world, my heart is towards reaching out to as many. It pushes me to understand other people, their mindset, to desire to gain knowledge and examine myself. I volunteer more, I talk to people more, I'm challenge everyday on how to be a better servant. I also don't feel bound to career and jobs or location, because my view changed from my little world, to His entire creation, and there's loads of events, places, and organizations I can do to further the kingdom. I'm not idle. And I meet on people that I learn from, and that I can share my testimony and love of God to and again, make the time of quality.

So you are a child of God, your time is of quality, so be about creating and participating things that are of quality. My lifestyle before brought about very little value,it produced nothing but temporary things. But being about the Father's business and sharing it with others, you are like a spiring of water for everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Being a mum I go to many groups. Some secular. I find at the secular groups that I need to zone out while they gossip, talk about other sinful things. I speak to the Lord during these times. Not about them, but sometime pray to not be tarnished by it.

Often when people know that you are a Christian they have high expectations of you. They might gossip to you but if you dare to gossip back you will either be judged severely, or they will conclude that you are not a proper Christian. But often I have found that when they are gossiping, talking filthily they don't actually talk like that directly to me. They allow me to be able to not say or think anything sinful. It is like they know to not put either of us in an uncomfortable situation.

I go to the gym, that is easy. Dress modestly etc. I'll be starting college next year that might be harder but if reading the word you can go out there wearing the armour of God from Ephesians 6:10-18.

I hope that doing so will give me more opportunity to witness.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Identity, Identity, Identity.

Work on learning who you are in Christ. I heard Bob Hamp say that a person who knows their identity in Christ wont go rob a bank.

I learned who I am. In Isaiah says Righteousness is learned, so when you spend time with the Lord and have a relationship with Him, you learn who you are and the Kingdom ways (Heavens culture). Temptation will come but you’ll be able to stand strong because you are learning from the best. I get tempted but I learned to bring it to the Lord without any shame.

I think that's what Eve should've done in the first place, go to God with the temptation.

One of my favorite verses is when God told Cain, sin is knocking at your door but you can overcome it.

God was right there with Cain just as He is with you.

❤️

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Good OP. I'm sure there are church groups in UK that would welcome your participation. The attitude that you have is really the ideal Christian one. It's also desperately needed into today's climate of gender confusion and LGBT advocacy.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I am active in my church and feel no need to socialize with anyone outside my church. I do have a brother living in another city who I email frequently and visit every year. Be careful, though - there can be temptation in a church.

Upvote 0