1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do we receive the Holy Spirit today?

Discussion in 'Pentecostal & Assemblies of God' started by Dietrich Johnson, May 16, 2022.

1. Dietrich Johnson

Dietrich Johnson Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Acts 8:16 says that those who had believed and were baptized (from verse 12) had not yet received the Holy Ghost.

This is in contrast to what is often said by some evangelists today: "believers are sealed with the Holy Spirit at the moment they believe in Christ".

Acts 8:15 says that the Apostles prayed for them to receive the Holy Ghost, then laid their hands on them (verse 17), and then "they received the Holy Ghost".

How do we receive the Holy Spirit today?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+6,274
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Visit a church* where they practice the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

*Pentecostal or charismatic.

3. SavedByGrace3

SavedByGrace3 Whoever calls on the name of Jesus will be saved Supporter

+2,004
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    The same way they received it in the NT. By faith.

Gal 3:2-5
    2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
    3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
    4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
    5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

This is the way I received Him back in 1971. Just me and the book of Acts. Knelt down by my bed and asked for the Holy Spirit the way they received Him in the book of Acts. I immediately began to prophesy.
    "I have loved you with a great love."

4. Ligurian

Ligurian Other Sheep

+395
    United States
    Protestant
    Private
    John 14:15-20 If ye love Me, keep My Commandments:[16] and I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever:[17] the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him. But ye know Him, for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.[18] I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you.[19] Yet a little while and the world seeth Me no more, but ye see Me: because I live, ye shall live also.[20] At that day ye shall know that I am in My Father and ye in Me and I in you.

This is the Gospel of the Kingdom.

5. Cockalorum

Cockalorum Member

+55
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    we receive the Holy Ghost by baptism in the name of Jesus Christ Acts 2:38 there is no other name, no other way

6. rocknanchor

rocknanchor Continue Well 2 John 9 Supporter

+7,809
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Good thought, though the OP focus is Baptism of the Holy Ghost, anyone else lacking? The Holy Spirit is with you throughout the Christian life, I'm sure you agree from conversion onward. This pertains to the OP "sealed" comment. Now when the Apostles said you have known our "traditions" then receiving the Holy Spirit today is still the same way as it was for them.