How do we know that the Bible is the "True" Word of God?

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

This thread was cleaned.
If another non-Christian seeker wishes to ask questions about the Christian faith, they may start their own thread. No more than one non-Christian Seeker (the OP) may post in a thread.

MOD HAT TOFF

Upvote 0

Coolbair

Jul 12, 2021
Lehi
✟7,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
God's Word is not a book of mere words. If you read it in earnest, truly seeking the truth that is there, then you will find that it is a powerful living document that can change your life through the Spirit of the One who gave it to us.

John
Fascinating! What do you mean by "powerful living document"?

Upvote 0

Coolbair

Jul 12, 2021
Lehi
✟7,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That only expands the question: How does one know that it's the Holy Ghost?

-CryptoLutheran
Agreed. How does one know it's the spirit? I'd like to hear your answer? And if the spirit really is a thing, why do we feel it when we read the bible?

Upvote 0

Coolbair

Jul 12, 2021
Lehi
✟7,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Good question, the fruit of the spirit is ...Galatians 5:22-23

So odds are that spirit that makes you feel relaxed on sunday but then irritable afterwards if asked to do anything is probably a different spirit.

I like your thinking. So, I assume you've felt the spirit when you read the bible? I'd love to hear more of your story about that!

Upvote 0

Coolbair

Jul 12, 2021
Lehi
✟7,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Spiritually yes. I was referring to empirical evidence. God doesn't seem to mind asking for empirical evidence, considering He provided it to convince Moses and Gideon etc. The empirical evidence for the Bible is multi tiered.

May I ask a sincere clarifying question? Yes, as the story goes, those "evidences" were shone to Moses and Gideon, but they weren't shown directly to us. We are asked to take their word for it. Those prophets witnessed of what happened by writing it down for us. My understanding of "empirical" is observable over and over, so not just you or me, but anyone can see the evidence. A reproduceable experiment directly related to the thing one is trying to prove. So, copies of the bible over millennia for example are empirical because anyone can see and hold them. And ancient Egyptian chariots found at the bottom of the Read Sea are empirical because it's a physical artifact, but these are two things that are empirical of what exactly? To what end? Technically they don't "prove" the events in the bible happened, do they? But rather offer circumstantial evidence of things that happened that may or may not be the same events described in the Bible, wouldn't you say? I guess my question is, to be as precise as possible, isn't the word we should be using "circumstantial" evidence instead of "empirical"? My apologies if this is better suited for a different thread. I'm still new here.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. How does one know it's the spirit? I'd like to hear your answer? And if the spirit really is a thing, why do we feel it when we read the bible?

I feel very strongly when listening to Bach, does that mean I feel the Holy Spirit when I listen to Bach, and that means Bach is divinely inspired?

No.

So the answer to your question is that feelings =/= the Holy Spirit.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Coolbair

Jul 12, 2021
Lehi
✟7,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
If there was just a clear empirical/conclusive evidence of God that even a skeptic could not deny today, then much of the New Testament would be incorrect in that we are required to have "faith" which is to believe without seeing (if you merely see first and then merely acknowledge that fact, it's not exactly the 'faith' we are to have -- Hebrews 11:1) -- to believe without, before any such outright empirical evidence. God wants those who would trust Him.
I love this topic of faith! It's so interesting isn't it? You've described my understanding of it as well. We are asked to believe based on what? Only witnesses from the Bible, right? Not anything truly empirical. But that's enough isn't it? A witness from the Holy Ghost is a powerful one, an interaction with the divine is it not?

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

Quick question. How do we know (you guys in particular) that the Bible is the true word of God? Likewise, How do you know that it is indeed the true word of God instead of other writings such as the Quran and etc?
christianity is the only Religion in which God makes himself available to the common person. all other religions verification of God comes in death but God had made a provision that is you seek him on his terms he will in the way of the holy Spirit connect with you directly. in other religions only prophets emissaries and or high priests have access to god.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I think you are taking it from the wrong end.

First, you must know Christ and be born again. After that, it naturally follows, that the Bible is about Him so you will prefer it before Quoran.
But you must "meet" Christ first and have a new heart.

Without trusting the Lord Jesus, its practically impossible to make a case for the Bible, other than "its quite well preserved", which is not enough.

Amen and Hallelujah!

• Friendly
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I like your thinking. So, I assume you've felt the spirit when you read the bible? I'd love to hear more of your story about that!
I actually have, studying the bible and experiencing God's presence in it is just like with everything else though. You need to pay attention to God like He's in the room. Since God is invisible, it can be tricky - prayer is part of the underlying framework. Like with any relationship, it takes time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Fascinating! What do you mean by "powerful living document"?

Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the diving asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

The document we call the Bible is the Word of God. The Greek word for quick in Hebrews 4:12 means "alive" or "living." So
God's Word is alive and has the power to judge the intents of our heart and to transform us who are dead in trespasses & sin into a new creation fit for heaven, and continues to change us into the image of His Son if we continue in His Word. The transformation brought about by God's Word is a lifelong process.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the diving asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

The document we call the Bible is the Word of God. The Greek word for quick in Hebrews 4:12 means "alive" or "living." So
God's Word is alive and has the power to judge the intents of our heart and to transform us who are dead in trespasses & sin into a new creation fit for heaven, and continues to change us into the image of His Son if we continue in His Word. The transformation brought about by God's Word is a lifelong process.
I'd like to point out that a book can't do this. The Reformers thought Scripture took on this role when preached. Perhaps a more general formulation would be that the Holy Spirit uses Scripture.

Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to point out that a book can't do this. The Reformers thought Scripture took on this role when preached. Perhaps a more general formulation would be that the Holy Spirit uses Scripture.

I totally agree. I was not suggesting that the Word has any power apart from the Holy Spirit.
John 6:63 " It is the spirit that quickeneth: the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak to you, they are spirit and they are life.
John 1:1 "in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
John 1:14 "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Upvote 0