How do we know that the Bible is the "True" Word of God?

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,739.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That will work well with things like whether
the Bible says Pi=3 as derived from literal reading.
The numbers are approximate, and the real value of
Pi is way more useful than 3.0! So, correct reading is,
a big vessel, about so big.

"Don't steal" is common folk wisdom so does not
especially suggest a divine origin. Useful, tho.

A lot of things in the Bible are neither of practical
use nor is there a way to check for consistency
with reality. (CWR)

Others that are not useful and are not CWR,
however much people may try to argue there really
was a flood.

I'm not sure how "useful" and CWR has anything to
do with whether the Bible is God's word, or how your
system applies to more than a small fraction of it.
Nobody forces you to somehow drive your life with verses that are no longer useful or if you are not sure you understand them. Bible has 1000 pages written in different times. Its no surprise that just a portion applies to us today.

It would not be wise to manage your life affairs according to Mosaic rules, for example.

Upvote 0

mmarco

Aug 7, 2019
Roma
✟54,312.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Quick question. How do we know (you guys in particular) that the Bible is the true word of God? Likewise, How do you know that it is indeed the true word of God instead of other writings such as the Quran and etc?

Hi Jaedan,

the reason why the Bible has such a special role in my life is that I believe in the divine nature of Christ. So the question should be: why do you believe that Christ is God?
The answer is that I find that the christian concept of God and of divine love is the highest possible concept. I find that the idea itself that God loves us so much that He chose to assume the human nature and accepted to suffer crucifission in order to save us, expresses such a high concept of God and of divine love that it can comes only from God and it is certainly a truth. This concept is fully convincing for me, it proves itself by itself and makes superfluous any other arguments . I believe that Chirst suffered His Passion to help us to have faith in Him and trust Him, to make us understand that God loves us infinitely, that God is good and merciful, that God is near to us and that we are so precious for Him so that we may totally trust Him, open our heart to Him and let Him change our existence in true life and true love.

There are other religions teaching that God is love, but the problem is to define what the word “love” means, because by itself it could be only a vague and generic idea.
The christian faith is unique because it gives a very concrete and unique meaning to the concept of divine love: in fact God’s love actualizes in the acceptance of a terrible physical suffering; the God of the christian faith loves us so much that He is willing to suffer a painful death in order to save us from a sinful existence. In the christian faith, love is not only a theoretical and vague concept; Christ’s Passion is a clear and concrete realization of the concept of divine love which teaches us what the true meaning of love is.

Upvote 0

Jaedan

Take this brother may it serve you well
Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Image telling your family and friends you will be attending church every Sunday.
There surprise at the change in your language, no more swearing or blasphemy.

Bold for you to assume that I don't attend Church. Likewise, It is bold for you to assume that my language is vulgar and blasphemous as well.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Quick question. How do we know (you guys in particular) that the Bible is the true word of God? Likewise, How do you know that it is indeed the true word of God instead of other writings such as the Quran and etc?
We know through His Holy Spirit. Be blessed.

Reactions: Navair2
Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

contrary to all other religions or spirituall movements Christianity has prophecy ( so God with foreknowledge tells us what happens to validate who he is ) and Christ came to fullfill prophecy to validate these Scriptures

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quick question. How do we know (you guys in particular) that the Bible is the true word of God?
Well for me, since I started to go into a deeper study with translations, etc I find that it actually lines up with the fact that the earth is millions, if not billions of years old. Unlike some who believe the earth is only 7000 years old. Also, the descriptions in Job could only be that of a dinosaur, no other animal in creation has a tail as big as a cedar and it's nose cannot even be snared. There are other things as well throughout the bible. But reading it as a whole for the first time over 20 years ago really opened my eyes up to many truths. But of course we still go by faith. But these are things that someone wouldn't have known to write about back then, these weren't men of science.

It would be pretty impossible to make a case for Jesus Christ.
I think Psalms 22 makes a great case for Christ. He even aluded to this Psalm on the cross -g Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? That is to say, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" Christ still preaching, even on the cross and to show us this Psalm, written a 1000 years before had come to pass.

Its no surprise that just a portion applies to us today.

The entire bible applies to us. Naturally certain ordinances, etc don't. But there is more written in the OT about the Lord's Day then in the NT as well as many other prophecies. And really, if you don't understand the beginning of the Bible, you'll never understand the end. It's not a history book but it is God's overall plan and letter to us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

For me that came from testing what Jesus said, in real life, to find out how well it works. I had spent years testing other ways, before I began testing the things Jesus says.

To find out what Jesus says, one would need to read/listen to what He says.

Here's a good place to start:
Matthew 3 NIV

In chapters 5-7 you may need to slow down and think on what the words are saying. It can take days, years, to understand them more fully. You will find things to try out doing early on though.

There's no substitute for reading for yourself, to find out what He says.

The rhetoric of other people about Him are not the same as His words.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaedan
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bold for you to assume that I don't attend Church. Likewise, It is bold for you to assume that my language is vulgar and blasphemous as well.

I was trying to show the difference between Christians seeking to follow Jesus and respectable non church attending nonchristians.

If I offended you then I apologise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said two opposite things.

That's the only thing you took out of that? I admit I should have worded it better but what I meant is yes the entire bible applies to us but we shouldn't follow certain blood ordinances but we need to know about them because they set the stage for our future sacrifice for one and all time -Christ. And many things that happened in the OT, as Paul teaches are ensamples for us today.

And Christ himself often quoted the OT and prophets and said, "Haven't you read?"

You made an earlier statement,
But I cannot blame you, many (if not most) of todays Christians present Bible as some kind of a perfect idol, the source of everything.

Christ is the living Word and the Word itself is part of the armour that we need to equip ourselves to be able to "stand" in that "evil" day as Paul also taught. I'm not trying to hijack this thread over this but it's a downer to see another Christian talk about the Bible in this fashion.

And no offense but if you think a Christian needs to focus more on making this "world" a better place than knowing the Word of God than that means you apply more importance to this "world". It's one thing to be a decent Christian in our every days lives, but knowing the Word of God is the most important thing a Christian can do.

Again, this is our letter from our Father, it's not a history book but it is the source to know God's overall plan.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,739.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...we shouldn't follow certain blood ordinances but we need to know about them because they set the stage for our future sacrifice for one and all time -Christ.
There is no future sacrifice. Its all finished.

And many things that happened in the OT, as Paul teaches are ensamples for us today.
As our society and daily life and affairs get more and more different from the society of tribal Jewish people, the less and less useful their stories are for us.

For example, try to return a woman to her father if you find out after the wedding night that she was not a virgin. Good luck.

And no offense but if you think a Christian needs to focus more on making this "world" a better place than knowing the Word of God than that means you apply more importance to this "world". It's one thing to be a decent Christian in our every days lives, but knowing the Word of God is the most important thing a Christian can do.

Again, this is our letter from our Father, it's not a history book but it is the source to know God's overall plan.
I understand your point of view, but I have a different one.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no future sacrifice. Its all finished.
The OT set the stage for Christ. That was future.

As our society and daily life and affairs get more and more different from the society of tribal Jewish people

Of course it does but that doesn't change the fact that if we call ourselves Christians but don't study the word of God, we will fail to equip ourselves when the time is needed.

I mean even shoving all of the tribes into one -Judah, kind of shows that you really are far away removed from the OT. And the minor phophets alone are full of future prophecy.

I understand your point of view, but I have a different one

Ok, that's fine. We are all on our own paths, this I do agree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

The question probably requires some unpacking.

In Christianity the Word of God isn't text, He's a Person. Jesus Christ is the Word of God.

Further, the phrase "word of God" or "word of the Lord" and other similar expressions have been used in different contexts and can mean different things depending on context. For example in Psalm 119:105 the Psalmist says, "Your word is a lamp unto my feet", by which the author refers to the Torah, the commandments/instructions which God gave the Jewish people as part of the Covenant He established with them on Mt. Horeb, as recorded in the books of the Pentateuch (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy). In the writings of the ancient Prophets of Israel we often find the use of the phrase, "the word of YHVH" usually rendered as "the word of the Lord"; that is the word God spoke to, and through, His prophets in ancient times. In the New Testament we see St. Paul the Apostle speak of preaching the word, such as in Romans 10:17 where he says of the preaching of the Gospel, "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ" (some variant manuscripts instead read "word of God" here)--the "word of Christ" here is the Gospel message that is preached itself.

The Bible isn't book, which is a common misunderstanding, even among Christians sometimes. The very word "Bible" is taken from the Latin biblia, a borrowing of the Greek βιβλία (biblia), the plural form of the word βιβλίον (biblion) meaning "book". Thus "The Bible" simply means "The Books", which is also why it is called "The Holy Bible"--the holy books, the holy writings/scriptures.

To understand the Bible as the Canon of Sacred Scripture of the Christian religion requires understanding a bit about how the Bible came about in the first place.

In the first century, at the time of Jesus, there was no universally agreed upon Jewish Canon of Scripture. Judaism was divided into different groups, the two most notable being the Sadducees comprised of the Jewish priests and aristocracy; and the Pharisees who represented the more common everyman's Judaism--the Judaism of the synagogue. There were other groups, for example the still obscure Essenes (who may or may not be the same as the Qumran group responsible for the Dead Sea Scrolls).

The Sadducees only accepted the Torah as written in the five books of the Pentateuch as Scripture. The Pharisees however embraded a wider set of Scriptures, but there was no definite boundaries or edges of the Canon. Specifically the Pharisees embraced the Torah (Pentateuch), the Prophets (such as Isaiah and Jeremiah), and the Psalms/Writings (the most important of which being the book of the Psalms themselves). There was no clear consensus, and the Jewish Canon of Scripture would evolve into the modern Jewish Bible (The Tanakh) into the centuries following the destruction of the Jewish Temple and Jerusalem in 70 AD through the debates and work of rabbinical scholars.

At the same time as this, centuries before Jesus was born, a group of Jewish scholars living in Alexandria, Egypt made a translation of Jewish sacred texts into Greek. This Greek translation of these works came to be known as the Septuagint (meaning "The Seventy"), sometimes also known by the Roman Numerals LXX (again, meaning seventy)--on the basis of an old legend or tradition that 72 independent Jewish scholars each produced their own translation, and when they compared the results they were all identical. The LXX, by the time of Jesus, would have been an already very useful work, being in the Greek tongue, the lingua franca of the ancient Greco-Roman world.

This is why in the writings that make up what would be later called the New Testament, and among many ancient Christian writers generally, quotes from those books which would eventually be called the Old Testament often quote/reference the LXX. It was a readily available Greek translation that made it easier for everyone.

The first Christians worshiped in the same way as their Jewish counterparts did, in the Jewish synagogues and the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, but as Gentiles converts began to enter the Christian communities throughout the world, and as it became more apparent that Christianity and Judaism would diverge into separate religious traditions, Christians continued to worship the same way their Jewish counterparts did. By coming together for prayer, Scripture reading, and teaching (a sermon/homily). In addition to these things was also the most important aspect of Christian worship, the Lord's Supper or Holy Eucharist. This is the origins of the historic Christian worship service, the Liturgy.

Christianity inherited the notion of Sacred Scripture from Judaism, hence why early Christians referred to certain works as Sacred Scripture. But there was no definitive Canon of Scripture. That would arise over time. When Christians met together for worship, there would be set readings from Scripture, and the questions arose--which writings should be read? What should be read in the context of Christian worship. And that question continued to be very important for centuries.

What would eventually be called the New Testament can be identified pretty early on in Christianity, by the end of the 2nd century there was a well established Proto-New Testament, or what we might call the core New Testament. These books are known as the Homolegoumena, or the universally accepted books. These are the Four Gospels, the Acts of the Apostles, the Thirteen Epistles of Paul, 1 & 2 John, and 1 Peter. In addition to the Homolegoumena, there were the disputed books, called Antilegomena. The Antilegomena consists of both books that did eventually become part of the New Testament accepted by all Christians everywhere, as well as books that didn't. These include the Epistle to the Hebrews, the Epistle of James, the Epistle of Jude, 3 John, 2 Peter, the Revelation of John, the Epistle of Barnabas, the Epistle of Clement (aka 1st Clement), the Shepherd of Hermas, and the Didache.

The modern New Testament didn't arise through bureaucracy, but rather arose through the growing general consensus of the Faithful over time. That these books were beneficial, sacred, to be received and read in the context of worship, for the edification, correction, teaching, of the Faithful. No single bishop, no ecumenical council, no higher-up unilaterally ever chose the Canon. The Canon arose more democratically--by the voluntary consent and consensus of Christians around the world in continued communion and dialogue with one another.

The Old Testament arose through a similar process; but had a head start. Generally debates over what would become the Christian Old Testament involved a core Old Testament already accepted by the Pharisees in Jesus' time--the Pentateuch, the Prophets, and the Psalms. But also the presence of the Septuagint also played a central role in Christian worship and practice. But questions over certain books, notably those books often called Deuterocanonical--books that are in the Septuagint, but not in the later Jewish Tanakh--were sources of conversation, discussion, and at times disagreement. And while the history and story of this cannot be summed up easily in so few words; this is, in part, why there continue to be differences among Christians over the Old Testament. Specifically, Catholics and Orthodox accept the Deuterocanonicals (though the Orthodox technically accept more than Catholics do), while most Protestants either completely reject the Deuterocanonicals, or else regard the Deuterocanonicals a status of important, but not Scripture (the opinion Martin Luther himself had).

In the context of Christian faith, worship, and practice, our Scriptures have been received down through the centuries because of their enduring witness to Jesus, and the Apostolic faith of the Christian Church. Through which we believe God remains active in the life of the Church.

St. Augustine of Hippo said of the Scriptures, that the Scriptures have only a single Utterance, and that Utterance is Jesus Christ. Jesus is the Word that the Scriptures speak to us. Jesus Himself said, "You search the Scriptures because in them you believe you have eternal life, it is these which bear witness to Me". And that statement by Jesus is the fundamental understanding of the Bible in Christianity: The Bible bears witness to Jesus. That is why we call the two parts of the Bible the Old and New Testaments; from the Latin testamentum, itself from testari, "I testify"--they are the testament, the testimony, the witness-bearer of Jesus Christ. Of the hope and promise of redemption in the Old before His birth, and the witness of the Apostles and Evangelists whose writings make up the New.

Christians don't accept the sacred works of other religions, because they aren't what Christians have been reading and confessing for the last two thousand years--the books of the Bible, are.

The Qur'an (as just one example) contains statements directly in conflict with Christian faith and teaching, and thus has no use or place in Christian faith and practice. It is our faith in Jesus, and His Gospel, that is per-eminent; the Bible is ministerial to that purpose. The Bible serves faith, not the other way around.

For a TL;DR version: The Bible isn't the point of Christianity, Jesus is. The Bible points to Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

Knowing the Bible is true and faith in what it reveals are not the same thing.

Fulfillment of over 120 Messianic prophecies is testimony to its truth.

But only the testimony of the Holy Spirit gives faith in its truth.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

The fact is the bible and it's story spans human history. Each generation had the same revelation from God, said God was the same.

The Quran was written by a single man, who changed history, made his own version of God, and enforced it by the sword.

Buddism likewise was created by a single man in a single point of history, not being backed by any other writings.

Only the bible spans human history. If gOd were real I would imagine he would a) span human history, b) be unified in what heHe had to say.

Upvote 0