St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In response to anyone who asks us about why we claim to be Christians I respond by saying my priorities are concerning salvation in this life.
I think there are two issues about salvation. I have read the Gospel of St John many times, but all I gain is that as Christians we should only be concerned about eternal salvation. But what about salvation in this life, to be saved from pestilence,, disease, natural disasters, civil unrest and war?
Along with atheists our priority should not be the after-life. Good works in this life should be our priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
In response to anyone who asks us about why we claim to be Christians I respond by saying my priorities are concerning salvation.
I think there are two issues about salvation. I have read the Gospel of St John many times, but all I gain is that as Christians we should only be concerned about eternal salvation. But what about salvation in this life, to be saved from pestilence,, disease, natural disasters, civil unrest and war?
Along with atheists our priority should not be the after-life. Good works in this life should be our priority.

John 10:10
"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

The work of Messiah has always been to restore physical bodies to health and to improve the basic conditions of life. I think a lot of the problem stems from the erroneous thinking that the "Old Testament" principles of "the Law" are done away with and now everything is "new testament" spiritual "pie in the sky". For instance, the diet given to man from the Creator is the best possible diet for the human body...go figure...He Who made our bodies knows exactly what we should eat to enjoy the healthiest and longest life here on earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Tone, you like my OP. The Scripture you quote gives food for thought regarding good works in this life, but John 10:28 re-affirms that an after-life is our priority.
I accept we gain eternal life through faith alone, but we must also accept the workings of the Holy Spirit within us and do good works in this life to be saved in this life. I think this must be our priority as a Christian. Our after-life is in God's hands.
Atheists do not bother about an after-life, and most of them do good works, but I have pointed out to them on a secular website that it can lead to hedonism.

Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Responses to my thread are sadly few, therefore I am going to be a little more provocative. On a secular website I was told I was confused. I hope and pray I do not fall outside of the statement of purpose for this discussion and debate forum.
Have I touched upon a sensitive nerve? Is it likely that most people who attend an established Church are not true Christians, they are merely members of their Church but are not members of the universal church of Christ? Leo Tolstoy would suggest that if the millions of people who attend their Church truly followed Jesus, wars would cease and we would have more resources to help the poor and needy, combat sickness and alleviate the suffering in natural disasters.
I am not saying that many Christians do not do marvellous charitable work, but are they, altruistic they may be, merely propping up the corrupt state system? They know their good works will not lead to their eternal salvation therefore they could be non-believers and still do good works for salvation in this life. Their only reason for claiming to be a Christian is that they want eternal salvation, which is what most Christians mean when they say they want it. I think this is bordering on hypocrisy.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In response to anyone who asks us about why we claim to be Christians I respond by saying my priorities are concerning salvation.

I probably shouldn't respond, because I'm not really sure what your asking and I certainly don't want to debate. I will just mention that eternal salvation for me is an example of our Lord's amazing love, but is not a priority for me in my day to day walk. As you said "Good works in life should be our priority." I see being a Christian as a way of life in this life. This provides me with many blessings now, but I don't expect to be "saved" from all woes of this current life, and don't feel I was ever promised that. In fact it seems clear the Bible says we will suffer here on earth.

Hope this post was somewhat on topic. :)

Reactions: Norman70
Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@jacks. Many thanks for your post. This is the ďiscussion and debate forum therefore please do not hold back if I type nonsense. I opened this thread here because when I did so on a secular website the Christians who responded told me I was confused.

Upvote 0