Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was visiting my in-law's church and up on the wall was some sort of motivational mission statement that said "Engage, Equip, Extend" I understand the church is designed to equip and it should extend but I had to think about the engage one.

I finally understood it in a missional context where we should "engage" our mission. When I looked around me however and what I saw was a very churched culture and it didn't feel like this example of "church" was set at engaging their mission but rather it was set at engaging people used to church. What does it really mean take to engage our mission and is it something we should be seeking? At what point do we cast off the "church we do" to engage our mission?

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't even give it a second thought on my own. It sounds like their Church specific motto and it's probably already been preached in detail so, probably better of to ask someone that heard the sermon than try to work it out. Point being it really could mean just about anything.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I read up on this motto (The Crossbearers) but even he doesn't fully explain what HE means by engage.

When I first read it, I was like the other member, ENGAGE people... the way I do this is "always" have a line to begin a new conversation... waiting for the elevator, at the gas station, grocery store, mail box.... don't ignore them or avoid them, engage in communication...which communication should give them something to think about regarding God, heaven, hell, ...the gospel!

A segue that opens them up to talking... for examples:

at the elevator: seems we all wait a lot of our lives... (yeah...) is God waiting on you to talk to Him? He loves you, you know?....

at the grocery store: the produce is really slim pickings today or the produce looks so fresh today.... God surely blessed these farmers, don't you think? God blesses you too, even if you don't realize it...

at the fuel stop: seems this is a necessary evil or is it just me or am I here more often than I used to be? I'll be glad when God is in total control and we won't have to worry about running out of gas. He loves you, you know...so whenever you feel like you're drained or running low on energy, talk to Him!

anyway...that's just off the top of my head... I have some set ones for other situations like the standard EE, Have you come to a place in your life where if you died today you are sure you are going to heaven? And one I like for RVers and the Mobile Homeless, we're here now but where will you be 100 years from now?

Engage people! Don't let them go by without you saying something about God! Give them a seed that the Holy Spirit can work on them with to led them to Jesus... A smile and God loves you is short and sweet for beginners. :D

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was visiting my in-law's church and up on the wall was some sort of motivational mission statement that said "Engage, Equip, Extend" I understand the church is designed to equip and it should extend but I had to think about the engage one.

I finally understood it in a missional context where we should "engage" our mission. When I looked around me however and what I saw was a very churched culture and it didn't feel like this example of "church" was set at engaging their mission but rather it was set at engaging people used to church. What does it really mean take to engage our mission and is it something we should be seeking? At what point do we cast off the "church we do" to engage our mission?
LOL. Only churchy people need to ask that question. The unchurched really do know how to Love and let live, to lay down their lives and to simply live in community with one another on a daily basis. The churched seem to have their heads in the clouds where oxygen is rarified and the earth is far far away.

• Agree
Reactions: Gordon Wright
Upvote 0