How do we benefit from the Hebrew Scriptures?

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Do they truly depict the same God Jesus taught was our Father?

If Jesus said to preach the Gospel, why do we preach the Torah?

Do we accept the Hebrew Scriptures simply because they were added to the Gospel for some unknown reason?

What do the Hebrew Scriptures do to help us understand what Jesus taught?

Ripheus27

Holeless fox
Dec 23, 2012
✟15,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Tanakh is a very long and involved work. Some of its content is morally offensive, but other parts can also be morally uplifting. Christ reportedly did cite the Law from the Tanakh when He stated the two great commandments (according to the Gospel of Matthew).

I don't think Christ was the Jewish Messiah except in the sense that He was also the Maitreya (after a fashion) or any number of other foretold saviors. So I don't stress over the discontinuities I see between Judaism and Christianity, although I can see important, constructive overlap as well. That being said, then, what we can learn about Christ from Jewish teachings is like what we can learn about Christ by studying Buddhism or Taoism or Islam or whatever.

EDIT: Moreover, then, not only ought we read the Tanakh, but also the Talmud and similar works, because the latter involve some of the best analysis of the former, especially by the people who arguably know the involved languages the best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Everything Messiah said and taught originated from the Father (Deu 18:18; Isa 50:4; Isa 51:16; Jn 8:28; Jn 12:49). Both Torah and Messiah's Words are from the same Source.

I don't see it. Neither did the Jews, who know the HS's better than I.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The Tanakh is a very long and involved work. Some of its content is morally offensive, but other parts can also be morally uplifting. Christ reportedly did cite the Law from the Tanakh when He stated the two great commandments (according to the Gospel of Matthew).

I don't think Christ was the Jewish Messiah except in the sense that He was also the Maitreya (after a fashion) or any number of other foretold saviors. So I don't stress over the discontinuities I see between Judaism and Christianity, although I can see important, constructive overlap as well. That being said, then, what we can learn about Christ from Jewish teachings is like what we can learn about Christ by studying Buddhism or Taoism or Islam or whatever.

EDIT: Moreover, then, not only ought we read the Tanakh, but also the Talmud and similar works, because the latter involve some of the best analysis of the former, especially by the people who arguably know the involved languages the best.

10 Commandments and 2 Commandments. Which is right?

Upvote 0

Ripheus27

Holeless fox
Dec 23, 2012
✟15,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
10 Commandments and 2 Commandments. Which is right?

:p This is why you should read the Tanakh. The reality is there are not just "10 Commandments," but over 600 of them making up the Law, and the two greatest ones cited in the Gospel of Matthew are 2 of those 600.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
:p This is why you should read the Tanakh. The reality is there are not just "10 Commandments," but over 600 of them making up the Law, and the two greatest ones cited in the Gospel of Matthew are 2 of those 600.

OK. I checked it out. It's the Hebrew Scriptures (basically the OT) brought together around 400BCE. No wonder the Jews stumbled.:p

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't see it. Neither did the Jews, who know the HS's better than I.

That is true.

That is why the Jews killed Jesus. Jesus harshly rebuked the Jews for their practice of stoning to death adulterers. Drove away those selling animals for sacrifices. Rebuked the Pharisees for their riches, and also for not having discernment and many more...

The Things Jesus opposed were:

- Being/how to be rich - condoned and taught in Proverbs
- Animal sacrifice for the atonement of sins - Exodus - Jesus taught repentance instead for the forgiveness of sin - end of animal sacrifices - bad for business/profits...
- Stoning people to death - Exodus
- There are more I did not mention, simply want to keep my reply short

The Jews wanted to see a Jesus who brought swift death upon the transgressors, who made them rich, and was pleased by their animal sacrifices... ...But they did not find it in the real Jesus.

They were correct to say what Jesus taught is different. They are only wrong in choosing which to follow.

Ironically, the Book of Enoch which was also part of OT they omit from Canon for that too was different, but agrees with the Gospel of Jesus, particularly repentance for the forgiveness of sins

Upvote 0

astein

Mar 1, 2013
✟2,254.00
Faith
Christian
Do they truly depict the same God Jesus taught was our Father?

If Jesus said to preach the Gospel, why do we preach the Torah?

Do we accept the Hebrew Scriptures simply because they were added to the Gospel for some unknown reason?

What do the Hebrew Scriptures do to help us understand what Jesus taught?

How does one seperate hebrew from Jesus when all are on in God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums