How do we approach brothers and sisters in Christ who boast of their sin?

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Throughout college, I was part of the leadership team for a Christian college ministry. To preface this, I certainly don't mean to sound judgmental in this post. I am a sinner too, obviously. But I've noticed there were quite a few people on that leadership team who would go out in public to get drunk, some even boasting about it.

To me, being a part of Christian leadership means we need to set an example. So I never quite understood why some of our chosen leaders would make these sorts of choices. Now, I certainly have some nasty habits too, and I've failed to be a leader in many ways. But I always tried to be mindful of what image I was putting off to other college students. If I'm doing something that is blatantly against what Christianity teaches in front of others, then it seems natural to me that others will think Christianity is a joke that not even its followers take seriously.

Why do you guys think this is that we sometimes find ourselves boasting about sin? How do we address it? How do we approach a brother or sister in Christ who we notice is actively indulging in sin and maybe even boasting about it?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If anyone boasts about sin instead of repenting, and calls themselves a believer,
God Says that they are to be disfellowshipped. (with a view and hope, as written in Scripture, that they will be ashamed of their sin, have Godlly sorrow, repent, and be able to be restored)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If anyone boasts about sin instead of repenting, and calls themselves a believer,
they are disfellowshipped. (with a view and hope, as written in Scripture, that they will be ashamed of their sin, have Godlly sorrow, repent, and be able to be restored)
Agreed... but how we deal with it depends on where it happens, whose authority they are under, etc. For example... if I don't know the people but know they go to a specific church, I might go to their pastor and allow his church leadership to address it. If the person is under aged, I would go to their parents. If they were part of my congregation... I would talk to them directly with witnesses and if it didn't end, rebuke them before all just as the protocol is shared by Paul.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why do you guys think this is that we sometimes find ourselves boasting about sin? How do we address it? How do we approach a brother or sister in Christ who we notice is actively indulging in sin and maybe even boasting about it?

Apart from praying for them we should speak to them, to find out how they view their actions.
We should point out that there action are causing or are potentialy a problem.

It could be that they need help, or it could be that they are just being sinful.

Once you know, assuming they will talk to you, you take it to your church leadership team.

I stress that the approach is one of enquiry about there physical and spiritual health, not a deouncement of what one thinks is sinful behaviour.

Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟48,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...I've noticed there were quite a few people on that leadership team who would go out in public to get drunk, some even boasting about it...
They may have an addictive (old nature) problem that is still active. Boasting is a way to advertise that they are looking for cohorts to justify their error in behavior.
...To me, being a part of Christian leadership means we need to set an example. So I never quite understood why some of our chosen leaders would make these sorts of choices...
Yes, you do understand. All sinners, if they are truly honest with themselves, know what sort of fear drove them to sin. To set an example, is to be honest about what drove you to sin. To find similarities and not differences between yourself and others. Share those similarities and how you yourself let go of our old nature and let God take care of our new nature.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Throughout college, I was part of the leadership team for a Christian college ministry. To preface this, I certainly don't mean to sound judgmental in this post. I am a sinner too, obviously. But I've noticed there were quite a few people on that leadership team who would go out in public to get drunk, some even boasting about it.

To me, being a part of Christian leadership means we need to set an example. So I never quite understood why some of our chosen leaders would make these sorts of choices. Now, I certainly have some nasty habits too, and I've failed to be a leader in many ways. But I always tried to be mindful of what image I was putting off to other college students. If I'm doing something that is blatantly against what Christianity teaches in front of others, then it seems natural to me that others will think Christianity is a joke that not even its followers take seriously.

I have found it is very difficult to get through to someone in this scenario. Especially about alcohol. One way that sometimes works to confront them without them getting immediately defensive is to simply ask sincere questions. Think about the questions ahead of time. The point is to make THEM think about the answer, avoid starting with scripture (it will get there on it's own): "I'm confused, how does this alcohol thing work?", "To you, what is acceptable drinking and what is not?"

As for the why this sort of thing happens. It really boils down to idols. When something is more important in your life than God. This is why they get so defensive so quickly. It is also why they will likely have lots of "spiritual excuses".

The boasting is a form of deflection. It's saying, I'm so confident in my spiritual excuse I don't need to even hide from this behavior, because it isn't wrong. Boasting makes it harder to confront because it make it clear if you confront me, we're going to have an issue.

The most likely thing you will have to do in these cases is pray for them and protect yourself. This sort of behavior will ultimately lead to self-destruction. It may take some time, but it always does. I've seen it over and over. And, you don't want to be a casualty when it does self-destruct, you want to be there to help, but not in the line of fire:

Proverbs 13:20 - He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will be destroyed (suffer-harm).​

Notice, when hanging out with wise people wisdom rubs off on you. But hanging around with fools doesn't mean you necessarily become a fool, but when they self-destruct you could be harmed.

Say you hang with people that drink, you don't, but you want to be a "light" to them so you hang out with them while they are drinking (I've heard this many times). But what happens when one of your drunk "christian" friends starts a fight? Fists are flying and police are called. Maybe you suffer harm because you get a stray fist to the face, but more than that your "witness" or christian credibility is damaged because you were there. Even if you did nothing wrong, their bad behavior will make you look bad and therefore less effective in your calling.

Therefore the wise thing to do is to keep your distance from the behavior while continuing to care for the people and pray they get things figured out.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I think that our own actions speak louder than words. I think people who are living in sin, who for the most part are doing what they genuinely think is right, are more likely to be challenged by our exemplary character and behaviour rather than our words of judgement.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First of all, clarify - were they talking about how they enjoyed the drinks, or were they talking about getting drunk?

Were they actually boasting about getting drunk, or just being real about that being a shortcoming?

Multiple Scriptures give different approaches for different levels of severity. That's why you first need to determine the level of severity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

One of the things I find extremely distasteful are the people who 'witness' in front of a congregation and talk about their past sins as if they miss the 'good old days.'

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
One of the things I find extremely distasteful are the people who 'witness' in front of a congregation and talk about their past sins as if they miss the 'good old days.'
This reminds me of some Scripture that says like: Woe to anyone who boasts or brags about or takes pride and pleasure in their drinking (not water) .

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Multiple Scriptures give different approaches for different levels of severity. That's why you first need to determine the level of severity.

Paul says gives a list of sins that are "worthy of death." He includes gossip in that list and "wine bibbers."

All sin is equally "bad." It causes our relationship with God to cease until we repent. And I'm speaking of Christians as Paul was. Non Christians haven't yet come into relationship with God. They are still accountable for their sins but can enter into a relationship with God.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is the difference in what Jesus called "a sin unto death" vs what He called "a sin not unto death" ?
He says to pray for those whose sin is not unto death.

My reading of 1 John 5:16 and following is that John is talking about unrepentant sinners, not a particular sin. Sin that does not lead to death is sin that one repents from and asks forgiveness for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Paul says gives a list of sins that are "worthy of death." He includes gossip in that list and "wine bibbers."

All sin is equally "bad." It causes our relationship with God to cease until we repent. And I'm speaking of Christians as Paul was. Non Christians haven't yet come into relationship with God. They are still accountable for their sins but can enter into a relationship with God.
When I mentioned severity, what I meant was how severe is their state of unrepentance. Some cases call for more gentleness (Prov 9:8, Gal 6:1) than others (1 Cor 5:2, Jude 1:22-23).

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I mentioned severity, what I meant was how severe is their state of unrepentance. Some cases call for more gentleness (Prov 9:8, Gal 6:1) than others (1 Cor 5:2, Jude 1:22-23).
OK. Thanks for the clarification. Agreed.

Upvote 0

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
First of all, clarify - were they talking about how they enjoyed the drinks, or were they talking about getting drunk?

Were they actually boasting about getting drunk, or just being real about that being a shortcoming?

One in particular I talked to made it sound like they didn't intend to give up on drunkenness after becoming a Christian. They said, to some degree, the scriptures that speak against it are "for people who make bad decisions and are unable to reason while drunk." They, however, handle drunkenness fine, with their good senses remaining intact, apparently. To me, it sounded like they basically concluded that they were exempt from the rule, which is very frustrating to hear.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
One in particular I talked to made it sound like they didn't intend to give up on drunkenness after becoming a Christian. They said, to some degree, the scriptures that speak against it are "for people who make bad decisions and are unable to reason while drunk." They, however, handle drunkenness fine, with their good senses remaining intact, apparently. To me, it sounded like they basically concluded that they were exempt from the rule, which is very frustrating to hear.

If they weren't a Christian, what were they doing involved in a Christian ministry in the first place?

Seems to me, this is part of the problem. They weren't committed to Christ. And if they weren't committed, why was the leadership allowing their involvement in the first place? How is it that Christianity can be promoted by non Christians? It can't.

Upvote 0