How do those who believe in OSAS explain James' warning against becoming teachers

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James 3:1 (NRSV) Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

James recommends not becoming a teacher because he or she will be judged more strictly. If all our past, present, and future sins have been fully paid for (which would include the sin of false teaching) and nothing can cut us off of the grace of Christ, How can a believer be judged with greater strictness? It cannot refer to the judgement seat of Christ (which wouldn't even make sense for a Christian to be judged more strictly if false teaching has been fully atoned for). James is clearly giving a warning here in the broader context of James 3.

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
James 3:1 (NRSV) Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

James recommends not becoming a teacher because he or she will be judged more strictly. If all our past, present, and future sins have been fully paid for (which would include the sin of false teaching) and nothing can cut us off of the grace of Christ, How can a believer be judged with greater strictness? It cannot refer to the judgement seat of Christ (which wouldn't even make sense for a Christian to be judged more strictly if false teaching has been fully atoned for). James is clearly giving a warning here in the broader context of James 3.
Christians are judged for their works just like the unsaved are judged for their works.

Read 1 Corinthians 3, which speaks of the judgement of the works of Christians.

Then read Revelation 20, which speaks of the judgement of the works of the dead.

Both are judged for their works, except one is judged unto condemnation, and the other is judged unto rewards; because one has the foundation of sin and death, and the other has the foundation of Jesus Christ.

Christians who try to become a teacher and teach foolishly will be judged with greater judgement by Christ when their works are judged, causing them to lose more rewards than they would have if they had not been a teacher; just as if he had been a great teacher, he would be judged worthy to receive double the rewards.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It cannot refer to the judgement seat of Christ (which wouldn't even make sense for a Christian to be judged more strictly if false teaching has been fully atoned for). James is clearly giving a warning here in the broader context of James 3.
Why?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure how OSAS exists on many levels. First of all, while I do believe we belong to God and can call ourselves sons or daughters NOW... we still decay, we still die, we still get exposed to sin and temptation... we have not been FULLY saved yet. Second, what does the mainstream Christian who sees Israel as having been cut off do when they were in covenant and called His bride but were then cut off? If we are saved NOW... then how weren't they when they were in a covenant relationship with their holy Father?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It's not false teaching, but rather if you hold yourself out as a teacher, you will be judged more harshly because as a teacher you can't plead ignorance. A teacher should know better.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Blessed Apostle Paul says:

I Cor. X. said:
But I chastise my body, and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.
If even Blessed Paul the Apostle had the potential to become a "castaway;" Hence, He had the potential and ability to lose his salvation. No man is immune to sin. All men are poor sinners. All need God's grace.

"OSAS" or "Once Saved, Always Saved" is unbiblical & heretical. If one can have a faith that is "dead" according to St James's Epistle, then one can certainly refuse or spurn one's salvation. St John the Apostle says in His Epistles that "God is Love". And that every man is a sinner.

"He who says he has no sin is a liar." -- St John's Epistle

And so, if God is love itself; Love does not make us or force us to Him. Love is voluntary and abiding. He will not coerce us into doing that which we refuse to do. God will not save us against our wills. He will supply the grace to enable us to accept Him if we choose. And the grace to choose to accept Him. Yet, ultimately, our will is our own. We are still Men; free to do or not do; to act or refrain from acting; to will or not to will. God moves our will by His grace: He, in and with Love, moves us: it is up to us to respond unto His grace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am not sure how OSAS exists on many levels. First of all, while I do believe we belong to God and can call ourselves sons or daughters NOW... we still decay, we still die, we still get exposed to sin and temptation... we have not been FULLY saved yet. Second, what does the mainstream Christian who sees Israel as having been cut off do when they were in covenant and called His bride but were then cut off? If we are saved NOW... then how weren't they when they were in a covenant relationship with their holy Father?
Because if you read carefully God made a promise to a physical nation. The new covenant is a promise to a spiritual, and the promise was made through Jesus Christ the righteous. Whereas the old covenant required obedience to the law of God, the new one requires faith in the one who was obedient for us. As he is eternally righteous, when we receive him as our Savior, his righteousness is given to us.

Salvation is by grace. It's a gift. We could never do anything to earn it or deserve it; therefore, once we receive a gift, it's ours to keep. We can never do anything to lose it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"As I live, saith the Lord God, this parable shall be no more to you a proverb in Israel. [4]Behold all souls are mine: as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, the same shall die. [5] And if a man be just, and do judgment and justice,

[6] And hath not eaten upon the mountains, nor lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel: and hath not defiled his neighbour's wife, nor come near to a menstruous woman: [7] And hath not wronged any man: but hath restored the pledge to the debtor, hath taken nothing away by violence: hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment: [8] Hath not lent upon usury, nor taken any increase: hath withdrawn his hand from iniquity, and hath executed true judgment between man and man: [9] Hath walked in my commandments, and kept my judgments, to do truth: he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord God. [10] And if he beget a son that is a robber, a shedder of blood, and that hath done some one of these things:

[11] Though he doth not all these things, but that eateth upon the mountains, and that defileth his neighbour's wife: [12] That grieveth the needy and the poor, that taketh away by violence, that restoreth not the pledge, and that lifteth up his eyes to idols, that committeth abomination: [13] That giveth upon usury, and that taketh an increase: shall such a one live? he shall not live. Seeing he hath done all these detestable things, he shall surely die, his blood shall be upon him. [14] But if he beget a son, who, seeing all his father's sins, which he hath done, is afraid, and shall not do the like to them: [15] That hath not eaten upon the mountains, nor lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, and hath not defiled his neighbour's wife:

[16] And hath not grieved any man, nor withholden the pledge, nor taken away with violence, but hath given his bread to the hungry, and covered the naked with a garment: [17] That hath turned away his hand from injuring the poor, hath not taken usury and increase, but hath executed my judgments, and hath walked in my commandments: this man shall not die for the iniquity of his father, but living he shall live. [18] As for his father, because he oppressed and offered violence to his brother, and wrought evil in the midst of his people, behold he is dead in his own iniquity. [19] And you say: Why hath not the son borne the iniquity of his father? Verily, because the son hath wrought judgment and justice, hath kept all my commandments, and done them, living, he shall live. [20] The soul that sinneth, the same shall die: the son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, and the father shall not bear the iniquity of the son: the justice of the just shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

[21] But if the wicked do penance for all his sins which he hath committed, and keep all my commandments, and do judgment, and justice, living he shall live, and shall not die. [22] I will not remember all his iniquities that he hath done: in his justice which he hath wrought, he shall live. [23] Is it my will that a sinner should die, saith the Lord God, and not that he should be converted from his ways, and live? [24] But if the just man turn himself away from his justice, and do iniquity according to all the abominations which the wicked man useth to work, shall he live? all his justices which he hath done, shall not be remembered: in the prevarication, by which he hath prevaricated, and in his sin, which he hath committed, in them he shall die. [25] And you have said: The way of the Lord is not right. Hear ye, therefore, O house of Israel: Is it my way that is not right, and are not rather your ways perverse?

[26] For when the just turneth himself away from his justice, and committeth iniquity, he shall die therein: in the injustice that he hath wrought he shall die. [27]And when the wicked turneth himself away from his wickedness, which he hath wrought, and doeth judgment, and justice: he shall save his soul alive. [28] Because he considereth and turneth away himself from all his iniquities which he hath wrought, he shall surely live, and not die. [29] And the children of Israel say: The way of the Lord is not right. Are not my ways right, O house of Israel, and are not rather your ways perverse?

[30] Therefore will I judge every man according to his ways, O house of Israel, saith the Lord God. Be converted, and do penance for all your iniquities: and iniquity shall not be your ruin.

[31] Cast away from you all your transgressions, by which you have transgressed, and make to yourselves a new heart, and a new spirit: and why will you die, O house of Israel? [32] For I desire not the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God, return ye and live."
--- Ezechiel XVIII.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

What does that have to do with OSAS? It's not even talking about salvation there. It's simply referring to a obvious principle that those who are teachers should be subject to scrutiny, and those who teach falsely should be subject to discipline and public rebuke. It's like Paul instruction to Timothy concerning church elders "Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning." 1Tim 5:20

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because if you read carefully God made a promise to a physical nation. The new covenant is a promise to a spiritual, and the promise was made through Jesus Christ the righteous. Whereas the old covenant required obedience to the law of God, the new one requires faith in the one who was obedient for us. As he is eternally righteous, when we receive him as our Savior, his righteousness is given to us.

Salvation is by grace. It's a gift. We could never do anything to earn it or deserve it; therefore, once we receive a gift, it's ours to keep. We can never do anything to lose it.
I appreciate your reply but we don't see things the same way here. First of all, I believe the Hebrew and Greek for "new" in Jer. 31:31 and Heb 8:8 actually means renew, not brand new. Chadashah (Hebrew) is the verb Chadash which means 'to renew' being used as an adjective to describe the covenant. Kainos (Greek) means "new in regards to freshness" whereas another word, nehos, means "new in regards to age. Kainos is always used to describe the covenant. So it is a renewed covenant, the one God called everlasting, being renewed with a caveat. And the caveat is that the text is written on the mind and heart, not on stone.

You see Nicolaus, I don't hold the mainstream view on that nor the "Israel has been cut off" view either. They were, cut off that is, but God promised to call them back. Take a moment, look at Deut. 30:1-6 and then read the entire first chapter of Hosea. The names of his family... look them up, they tell the story. God would punish for disobedience by scattering them into the nations and call them, "Not my people." But in that place (where they were scattered, the nations) He would go to them, Hosea said, and say, "You are sons of the Living God."

Blessings.
Ken

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

James recommends not becoming a teacher because he or she will be judged more strictly.
Jesus made an issue about how certain people wanted to be considered teachers. It was not about accuracy of teaching, but attitude . . . i.e., if the person was being humble or trying to be more than others by having status as a teacher. I have found that . . . in case I have had the teaching gift . . . much more attention has gone to how I am in attitude and relating with people, than to how accurate my ideas are.

I believe this is partly because teaching in Jesus is mainly for teaching how to be and how to love, not only or mainly what to think. And a good teacher can demonstrate, and be an example . . . a sample of certain things he or she is teaching :)

So, as I promoted myself as a teacher, I got more and more into a major operation of being corrected in how I am and love, and how I am and how I relate about whatever I am offering to teach.
If all our past, present, and future sins have been fully paid for (which would include the sin of false teaching) and nothing can cut us off of the grace of Christ, How can a believer be judged with greater strictness?
I think judging can include now in this life, how we are processed with stricter correction . . . like happened with Paul > see 2 Corinthians 12:7-15 :)

It cannot refer to the judgement seat of Christ (which wouldn't even make sense for a Christian to be judged more strictly if false teaching has been fully atoned for).
Hebrews 12:4-11 guarantees how God corrects His children. Plus, we have 1 John 4:17 about how "in this world" we in Jesus have already become. So, I consider that this means we will be corrected before we die. And Isaiah 55:11 guarantees how God's word will succeed in doing all He wants, which would include all His word says He wants of us before Jesus raptures us. So, I am not expecting that really saved people are going to go to their deaths still pushing false stuff and doing obviously wrong stuff. Because that would not be corrected, which Hebrews 12:8 guarantees our Father does do with His children.

James is clearly giving a warning here in the broader context of James 3.
And this context, I think, fits with my idea that teaching brings a person to become an example of how to be and relate in God's love. The person has a heart of love which brings one's tongue into control (Matthew 12:34, Luke 6:45), and the person is not putting out bitter water and sweet water, but only the sweet water of God's love overflowing. And this ministry gives people the meaning of God's word, deeper than words :)

Upvote 0