How Do Reformed Baptists Understand the Sacraments?

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm Southern Baptist, and the SBC teaches that baptism and the Lord's supper are merely symbolic.

I read on another thread in another denomination's forum that Reformed Baptists believe that baptism is a "means of grace." What exactly does that mean, and is it similar to "baptismal regeneration?"

What do the Reformed Baptists here believe? Are the baptism and the Lord's supper merely ordinances and symbolic, or are they sacraments and and are a "means of grace?"

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm Southern Baptist, and the SBC teaches that baptism and the Lord's supper are merely symbolic.

I read on another thread in another denomination's forum that Reformed Baptists believe that baptism is a "means of grace." What exactly does that mean, and is it similar to "baptismal regeneration?"

What do the Reformed Baptists here believe? Are the baptism and the Lord's supper merely ordinances and symbolic, or are they sacraments and and are a "means of grace?"
One of the things that set Baptists apart is their view of the Lord's Supper and Baptism. They are not sacraments in which grace is imparted but ordinances that are symbolic. Yet they do not take them lightly as in them the Gospel is clearly preached and we see how we are saved and the result of our salvation and the One who saved us. There may be a few who hold a closer view of the ordinances as sacraments as the Presbys do but they are in no way the majority.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
It has been my understanding, from reading 17th century Particular Baptist works that historically, Baptists believed that Baptism and the Lord's Supper were a means of grace. The Gospel is preached through the sacraments or ordinances just as the Gospel is preached in word. Not that they convey grace in the physical elements or means (like Calvin) or the work/ritual performed (RC), but that they convey the Gospel just like preaching the word conveys the Gospel.

"Worthy receivers (believers), outwardly partaking of the visible elements in this ordinance, do then also inwardly by faith, really and indeed, yet not carnally and corporally, but spiritually receive, and feed upon Christ crucified, and all the benefits of his death; the body and blood of Christ being then not corporally or carnally, but spiritually present to the faith of believers in that ordinance, as the elements themselves are to their outward senses." 1689 Second London Confession of Faith, 30.7

17th century Baptist catechism:

Q. 99. Wherein do Baptism and the Lord's Supper differ from the other ordinances of God?

A. Baptism and the Lord's Supper differ from the other ordinances of God in that they were specially instituted by Christ to represent and apply to believers the benefits of the new covenant by visible and outward signs.

(a) Matt 28:19; Acts 22:16; Matt 26:26-28; Rom 6:4

Q. 107. What is the Lord's Supper?

A. The Lord's Supper is a holy ordinance, wherein, by giving and receiving bread and wine, according to Christ's appointment, His death is showed forth, and the worthy receivers are, not after a corporeal and carnal manner, but by faith, made partakers of His body and blood, with all His benefits, to their spiritual nourishment, and growth in grace.

(a) 1 Cor 11:23-26; 1 Cor 10:16

Q. 108. What is required to the worthy receiving of the Lord's Supper?

A. It is required of them that would worthily (that is, suitably) partake of the Lord's Supper, that they examine themselves, of their knowledge to discern the Lord's body; of their faith to feed upon Him; of their repentance, love, and new obedience: lest, coming unworthily, they eat and drink judgment to themselves.

(a) 1 Cor 11:27-31; 1 Cor 5:8; 2 Cor 13:5

I believe it is a means of grace.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0