How do pro-abortion Christians reconcile their views with pro-life scripture?

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Proverbs 139:13, “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.”

Jeremiah 1:5, “Before you were in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as the prophet of nations.”

Job 31:15, “Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers?”

Psalm 22:10, “From birth I was cast on you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God.”

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For those of us that have repented because of abortion those verses should mean a whole lot to us. An abortion is something we Christians should never participate in or encourage others to do.

Don't be deceived by the devil the flesh and the world.

Abortion recovery groups for both men and women are a recommended thing to attend.

Oh Lord have mercy on us,
For we are sinners.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Quite simply, I don't think any of the passages you quoted are proof or even evidence that ensoulment or life or however you want to phrase it happens at conception. They're all either written about specific people or people just praising God through poetry and song.

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Quite simply, I don't think any of the passages you quoted are proof or even evidence that ensoulment or life or however you want to phrase it happens at conception. They're all either written about specific people or people just praising God through poetry and song.

You're in denial over the clear-cut evidence that the Bible supports the notion that life begins at conception.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

More study may be required?
Life begins when the sperm enters the egg. Has one ever observed that tiny heart beating in the womb? Who can really say that's not alive? And their God does not recognize it and know everything about it?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're in denial over the clear-cut evidence that the Bible supports the notion that life begins at conception.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible is written to the church.

What church supports abortion?

M-Bob

A true Christian church would never support abortion. That's the same thing as supporting murder!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do pro-abortion Christians reconcile their views with pro-life scripture?

Treat a pregnant women's life's with the same concern
you'd like for other people to have a controlling interest in your genitals.
For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 139:13, “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.”
Says nothing about when we should start treating the unborn as humans -- all it says is that God formed the speaker in the womb, which all Christians would agree with.
Jeremiah 1:5, “Before you were in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as the prophet of nations.”
Again, says nothing about the status of the unborn. Note that it says that God knew Jeremiah before he was in the womb -- rather like Paul saying that we were chosen from before the foundation of the world. How is this supposed to tell us when a human life starts? If take literally, this would mean that I existed as a human before my conception. Where was I? In my great-great-grandparents' bodies?
Job 31:15, “Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers?
Same as the first one.
Psalm 22:10, “From birth I was cast on you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God.”
Doesn't seem to be saying anything at all about the status of the unborn.

Note that I'm not a "pro-abortion Christian" -- I don't know when human life should be considered to start, and I would prefer to err on the side of caution. I just haven't seen a persuasive argument that the Bible says anything about this subject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A true Christian church would never support abortion. That's the same thing as supporting murder!

And the ones that call abortion anything other than murder are only deceiving themselves. Self-deception is something to watch out for. True abortion is all about self. Self-centered man and self-centered woman. Giving no thought to God or his concerns for man.

He made them and said they are good.

Who are we to destroy what God says is good?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Says nothing about when we should start treating the unborn as humans -- all it says is that God formed the speaker in the womb, which all Christians would agree with.

Again, says nothing about the status of the unborn. Note that it says that God knew Jeremiah before he was in the womb -- rather like Paul saying that we were chosen from before the foundation of the world. How is this supposed to tell us when a human life starts? If take literally, this would mean that I existed as a human before my conception. Where was I? In my great-great-grandparents' bodies?

Same as the first one.

Doesn't seem to be saying anything at all about the status of the unborn.

Note that I'm not a "pro-abortion Christian" -- I don't know when human life should be considered to start, and I would prefer to err on the side of caution. I just haven't seen a persuasive argument that the Bible says anything about this subject.

Would you prefer Luke 1:41? Here it is: "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit."

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
See, this is what I mean about not seeing a persuasive argument. This is usually what I see instead.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you prefer Luke 1:41? Here it is: "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit."
No, I'd prefer a passage that actually addressed the issue. But I see from your other responses that you weren't actually interested in what other Christians think about this subject -- you just wanted an excuse to rant. Carry on without me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, I'd prefer a passage that actually addressed the issue. But I see from your other responses that you weren't actually interested in what other Christians think about this subject -- you just wanted an excuse to rant. Carry on without me.

Telling you the truth with scripture doesn't constitute a rant.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

You asked for people to respond to your question (subject line) then you attack their response. If you are not looking for a response that agrees with your beliefs, why ask the question in the first place?

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You asked for people to respond to your question (subject line) then you attack their response. If you are not looking for a response that agrees with your beliefs, why ask the question in the first place?

I didn't attack anyone.

Upvote 0