• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do most Eastern Orthodox view the Origins debate?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Jackson Cooper, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graphite412

graphite412 Eastern Orthodox Neophyte

+140
    Christian
    Married
    I won't comment much but to say that I don't know of a single one that accepted it, but there are tons of them who in the strongest language condemn it. Saint Paisios of Mt. Athos is such an example. I also came across anti-evolutionary talks when reading Fr. George Calciu, who was a modern confessor from Romania who spent his last years in the USA.

2. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,242
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
  3. All4Christ

All4Christ +The Handmaid of God Laura+ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+3,904
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    So the ultimate answer is that it can be a very controversial topic - especially here on TAW :) One view is more traditional and the other more modern, but either opinion won’t bar you from the Chalice.

Going beyond that, we are close to debates...which should go to St Justin Martyrs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,242
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Well, depends on how you define "traditional".

5. All4Christ

+3,904
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Sure. Let me explain my perspective on the word :)

I lean towards OEC myself, though I am not dogmatic about it. I actually don’t think my view (OEC) is the most traditional, considering that most of the Church fathers thought the earth was about 6000 years old. There were some early church fathers who didn’t believe in the 6 day creation (instead they believed it was instantaneous), but I don’t know of any church fathers that teach the current theory of evolution I’ve seen promoted by Orthodox Christians - or OEC for that matter.

I’m not stating this to debate, but rather to explain what I mean by “traditional”.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  6. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 auto-correct iPhone survivor

+2,930
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+881
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    There are probably a lot of "everyday saints" who don't have a problem accepting evolution. It's generally not a big concern of theirs, however. They are too preoccupied with worshiping God in spirit and in truth, and adhering to that religion that is undefiled before the Father. We should be careful not to let anything distract us from repentance and prayer, especially useless debating over things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Jackson Cooper

Jackson Cooper "Nature does nothing in vain." -Aristotle.

+20
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Where is St Justin Martyrs? Is that another forum?

9. Jackson Cooper

Jackson Cooper "Nature does nothing in vain." -Aristotle.

+20
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    There are really 2 main sides to the issue. Those that believe Genesis and Job give an account of natural history, and those that don't. OEC and YEC both typically believe that they do give a natural account, but interpret the times differently. Evolutionary Creationists don't think Genesis is giving an account of natural history at all.

10. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+9,948
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
  11. All4Christ

+3,904
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017