How do most Eastern Orthodox view the Origins debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphite412

Eastern Orthodox Neophyte
Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many saints in the past century accepted evolution?

I won't comment much but to say that I don't know of a single one that accepted it, but there are tons of them who in the strongest language condemn it. Saint Paisios of Mt. Athos is such an example. I also came across anti-evolutionary talks when reading Fr. George Calciu, who was a modern confessor from Romania who spent his last years in the USA.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So the ultimate answer is that it can be a very controversial topic - especially here on TAW :) One view is more traditional and the other more modern, but either opinion won’t bar you from the Chalice.

Going beyond that, we are close to debates...which should go to St Justin Martyrs.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So the ultimate answer is that it can be a very controversial topic - especially here on TAW :) One view is more traditional and the other more modern, but either opinion won’t bar you from the Chalice.

Going beyond that, we are close to debates...which should go to St Justin Martyrs.
Well, depends on how you define "traditional".

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, depends on how you define "traditional".
Sure. Let me explain my perspective on the word :)

I lean towards OEC myself, though I am not dogmatic about it. I actually don’t think my view (OEC) is the most traditional, considering that most of the Church fathers thought the earth was about 6000 years old. There were some early church fathers who didn’t believe in the 6 day creation (instead they believed it was instantaneous), but I don’t know of any church fathers that teach the current theory of evolution I’ve seen promoted by Orthodox Christians - or OEC for that matter.

I’m not stating this to debate, but rather to explain what I mean by “traditional”.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1b089a.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is it true that no saint accepted evolution?
There are probably a lot of "everyday saints" who don't have a problem accepting evolution. It's generally not a big concern of theirs, however. They are too preoccupied with worshiping God in spirit and in truth, and adhering to that religion that is undefiled before the Father. We should be careful not to let anything distract us from repentance and prayer, especially useless debating over things.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Where is St Justin Martyrs? Is that another forum?

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sure. Let me explain my perspective on the word :)

I lean towards OEC myself, though I am not dogmatic about it. I actually don’t think my view (OEC) is the most traditional, considering that most of the Church fathers thought the earth was about 6000 years old. There were some early church fathers who didn’t believe in the 6 day creation (instead they believed it was instantaneous), but I don’t know of any church fathers that teach the current theory of evolution I’ve seen promoted by Orthodox Christians - or OEC for that matter.

I’m not stating this to debate, but rather to explain what I mean by “traditional”.
There are really 2 main sides to the issue. Those that believe Genesis and Job give an account of natural history, and those that don't. OEC and YEC both typically believe that they do give a natural account, but interpret the times differently. Evolutionary Creationists don't think Genesis is giving an account of natural history at all.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith