• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do I surrender my life to christ when I struggle letting go

curlycurl

Jul 31, 2019
assen
✟13,765.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, for a long time i have been wanting to get saved and I watched this video by Tim Conway about how to run to Christ.
He talks about needing to surrender yourself and let Christ do all the saving because it's him who does all the saving, not us. I get all those things.
He also talks about needing to accept the Christ that will change everything and free you from your sins and idols.
And he says that of you still have idols or sins that you dont want Christ to take away, that you can't be saved.
I still have idols that I would prefer to keep (I think they are idols), idols that would feel like cutting of my literal hand if Jesus would ask me to let go of them.
I pray to Jesus and I tell him he can take my life and that I surrender but does the fact that I in my heart don't want to lose everything mean that I am not sincere?
That's how I feel about it but does feeling that way mean I'm not surrendering to Christ? Then how can I surrender. I feel in my heart that I am fighting the idea of letting go and that I want Christ to let me keep living my life the way I was. I regonise that's not good and that I need to let go and be open for Jesus to change and take everything. But how do I get to that place that I will truly want to let everything go?
Is it only God who can get me to surrender/want to surrender? I pray for God to let me surrender but I don't feel change and I feel like my flesh I still refusing to let go.
The idea of letting everything go feels so depressing and hopeless even though I wish it would feel freeing. I so badly just want to feel happy again, I want to run back to my normal life and feel happy again but I regonize that that may just be false happiness.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The idea of letting everything go feels so depressing and hopeless even though I wish it would feel freeing. I so badly just want to feel happy again, I want to run back to

Please stop watching these videos/utubes etc and get in touch with a church. Try the Christianity explored web site for a church in your town.
Contact that church, if they are running this course sign up.

Explain your situation and they will help you?

In a few words, must people spend a life time submitting to Jesus, and Jesus knows all about our struggles with sin, things that distract us from him etc etc etc and he still loves us.

So stop watching these videos and contact a church.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,424.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I agree that supportive fellowship is a must.

I couple of things that helped me with the surrender issue.

Firstly He made you and knows what you were designed for and what you need, better than yourself.

His will for you is peace and blessing and fulfilment.

For me the big one was realising that giving Him control isn't the freak out it seems, because He is a God of Order. So surrendering to Him is surrender to Godly order. This is miles better than what happens when we try to take His place in our lives.

Lastly the idols you speak of, almost always represent short term self gratification.

His Love for you however is for the greater long term good.

Believe me we are so much better off in His Loving hands.

Time to come home.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,424.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I agree that supportive fellowship is a must.

I couple of things that helped me with the surrender issue.

Firstly He made you and knows what you were designed for and what you need, better than yourself.

His will for you is peace and blessing and fulfilment.

For me the big one was realising that giving Him control isn't the freak out it seems, because He is a God of Order. So surrendering to Him is surrender to Godly order. This is miles better than what happens when we try to take His place in our lives.

Lastly the idols you speak of, almost always represent short term self gratification.

His Love for you however is for the greater long term good.

Believe me we are so much better off in His Loving hands.

Time to come home.

Upvote 0

fashionista1

Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
✟404,965.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi curly curl, If it is any comfort, I suffer from the same issue. I fear that everything I enjoy is an idol. I really like fashion/style, and in so many Christian circles, this is frowned upon as worldly. I do realize it can be, so I've always tried to dress with taste and modesty. I also like magazines like Vogue which, I've been told, is a "no-no" for a Christian. I could go on, but I won't as I usually do not receive very many replies to anything I've posted in the past on this forum. But, again, I can totally relate to your post. Fashionkath

Upvote 0

Duke of Stratford

One day at a time.
Jun 2, 2019
America
✟33,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Huh. I saw something similar from this guy a few days ago and went into a full-blown anxiety attack. I get how you feel. Your post has described a lot of anxious feelings I’ve been having for about a year now. It’s scary, and I’m sorry you’re going through this.

Here’s the thing: I believe every single Christian struggles to surrender everything to Christ because, you know, we’re still imperfect and in need of a Savior. You don’t become perfect the second you’re born again. Sanctification is a lifelong journey of learning to be more like Christ, and that includes surrendering!

We all struggle with different aspects of surrender. Are there things you need to improve on? Yes. But that’s true for everybody. I know Conway is all about harsh wake-up calls for people, but that may not be what you need to hear right now—especially if you struggle with OCD! If this sort of thing leads you into anxiety—especially if that anxiety leaves you with a vague feeling of condemnation instead of godly conviction—I’d advise not watching it. Not that these teachings can’t be valuable for some people, but they could be hurting you more than helping you due to your specific situation.

When I start feeling like this, I ask God to help me want Him and love Him more. I try to remember what He’s done for me and that His way is better than my way. I pray for direction: if there’s something God wants me to do to grow closer to Him, I pray that He will give me the clarity and strength to do it. I think a good habit is praying for the guidance and strength to do what He would have you do each day, one day at a time. We can’t just will ourselves into getting everything right. Sometimes we have great moments of revelation and transformation, but usually, we just have to take life one day at a time. And I think that’s okay.

Here are a couple poems that help me when I’m feeling like this. The first one was written by John Newton, writer of “Amazing Grace.” If he can be so devout and struggle with the same thing, surely there’s hope for you and me!

’Tis a Point I Long to Know - Tim Challies
Answer to 'Tis a Point - Tim Challies

Upvote 0

Romansthruphilemon

Feb 6, 2017
Concord, NH
✟59,907.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, for a long time i have been wanting to get saved and I watched this video by Tim Conway about how to run to Christ.
He talks about needing to surrender yourself and let Christ do all the saving because it's him who does all the saving, not us. I get all those things.
He also talks about needing to accept the Christ that will change everything and free you from your sins and idols.
And he says that of you still have idols or sins that you dont want Christ to take away, that you can't be saved.
I still have idols that I would prefer to keep (I think they are idols), idols that would feel like cutting of my literal hand if Jesus would ask me to let go of them.
I pray to Jesus and I tell him he can take my life and that I surrender but does the fact that I in my heart don't want to lose everything mean that I am not sincere?
That's how I feel about it but does feeling that way mean I'm not surrendering to Christ? Then how can I surrender. I feel in my heart that I am fighting the idea of letting go and that I want Christ to let me keep living my life the way I was. I regonise that's not good and that I need to let go and be open for Jesus to change and take everything. But how do I get to that place that I will truly want to let everything go?
Is it only God who can get me to surrender/want to surrender? I pray for God to let me surrender but I don't feel change and I feel like my flesh I still refusing to let go.
The idea of letting everything go feels so depressing and hopeless even though I wish it would feel freeing. I so badly just want to feel happy again, I want to run back to my normal life and feel happy again but I regonize that that may just be false happiness.
This pastor preaches lordship salvation which is a false gospel. It’s easy to see once you know what to look for. The lordship salvation preachers will always tell you what you have to do and almost never mention anything about what Christ has done. It’s finished, God poured out his wrath, Jesus took what we deserved, now it’s finished. They will never tell you that.

Upvote 0

curlycurl

Jul 31, 2019
assen
✟13,765.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Please stop watching these videos/utubes etc and get in touch with a church. Try the Christianity explored web site for a church in your town.
Contact that church, if they are running this course sign up.

Explain your situation and they will help you?

In a few words, must people spend a life time submitting to Jesus, and Jesus knows all about our struggles with sin, things that distract us from him etc etc etc and he still loves us.

So stop watching these videos and contact a church.

I've only been to a church once in my life, it was last summer.
And I didn't go back because I was doubting my belief.
I am thinking of going there again.
They were very nice.
I'm not sure if that's the best church for me but there are very little amount of churches where I live.
I am just sad about feeling that I'm not getting saved. When I hear others talk about being saved it's always a transformation, they feel it and they are made different people.
I don't feel anything and I don't know what to do because I'm pretty sure I'm not saved):

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've only been to a church once in my life, it was last summer.
And I didn't go back because I was doubting my belief.
I am thinking of going there again.
They were very nice.
I'm not sure if that's the best church for me but there are very little amount of churches where I live.
I am just sad about feeling that I'm not getting saved. When I hear others talk about being saved it's always a transformation, they feel it and they are made different people.
I don't feel anything and I don't know what to do because I'm pretty sure I'm not saved):

All I can suggest is two things.
Try the Christianity explored web site for the nearest church to you and contact them.

Otherwise check out the local churches web sites to see what they believe and try the online services most churches have on there web sites.
Again contact the local church that most seems to you to be following what Jesus taught.

Upvote 0