• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do I stop thinking about bad events in the past?

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look into DBT therapy. It has to do with being aware (mindfulness) of how obsessing endlessly is self-defeating and how to train yourself to stop. It is not denying that it happened or discounting the hurt, but accepting and moving on.

It gets easier with with dedicated practice.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I echo the recommendation for DBT. It did a lot for me.

I'm sorry you were looked down on and judged badly by your teachers and classmates, especially since it was something that was completely out of your control. You are intelligent, and you are not responsible for your family's socioeconomic status while you were growing up. There are some things that leave scars so deep, we never fully forget it. Nor should we, because then we can learn from it and show compassion for other people. Maybe you can heal to the point where talking about it doesn't cause you pain, but you can guide someone else who is going through something similar, and you've also learned not to look down on someone else.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have to replace negative thoughts with more positive ones. It might help to also set some future goals for yourself so you have something else to focus on. An example might be a reading goal or next year like reading 10 books for the year or learning a new language

Upvote 0