Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe this sounds like a strange question. But in my head I like to pray, and pray a lot. Sometimes I "romanticize" of going up early in the morning and pray for two hours straight. I like to pray passionate, with tears, pray with hunger and thirst. Yet so often I don't feel that way. I want to pray, but when at home and I pray it's often for 5 minutes before bedtime. And it feels a bit like I have failed yet another day in my prayer life. The easiest way for me to pray is when I go to prayer meetings, but there are not many of those meetings around here, and since I work in the evenings it makes it even harder. Anyone got advice? How do I get into a prayer spirit? How do I go from head to action ...

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Prayer is a discipline, in which you must control yourself and do it...even when you don't feel like it. Emotions are a gift, but they are a dangerous master. Set aside a specific time for prayer, and pray. Do n't worry how you feel about it, just do it. I have found taking an organized approach can help me to stay focused (and I do need help to stay focused!), and when I get distracted or bored, I pray about that!

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So long as you pray to God, in Jesus's name, your "passion with tears" literally is not necessary as long as your prayer is from the heart. You don't need to be starving, literally crying, thirsty, to pray to our God. It should come from your heart though, to God, in Jesus's name, praying as much as you are able.

Excuse me for not using verses, however, if you wish for them I can post them. I just saw this post last minute and I am on a time constraint at this moment.

Take care and have a wonderful day.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe this sounds like a strange question. But in my head I like to pray, and pray a lot. Sometimes I "romanticize" of going up early in the morning and pray for two hours straight. I like to pray passionate, with tears, pray with hunger and thirst. Yet so often I don't feel that way. I want to pray, but when at home and I pray it's often for 5 minutes before bedtime. And it feels a bit like I have failed yet another day in my prayer life. The easiest way for me to pray is when I go to prayer meetings, but there are not many of those meetings around here, and since I work in the evenings it makes it even harder. Anyone got advice? How do I get into a prayer spirit? How do I go from head to action ...

You don't have to have emotions to have a powerful prayer. Also the duration doesn't' matter either just make sure you have a layout..that's what ensures you get a full prayer in.

This is mine unless the Spirit leads otherwise.

1. Lift up/thank God

2. Deny myself/pray against my flesh

3. Pray against satanic forces/the enemy

4. Ask God to lead me and let his will be done

5. pray for others/things I desire/need

Once you have a set layout or plan it ensures you at least stay praying until you cover everything you have. Additionally, it ensures each prayer before bed is at least 10 minutes with all that.

But yeah I hear about people who say..."pray an hour a day" and all that but personally I don't believe in that to me it makes prayer a sort of works...and you just focus on details to extend the prayer. Now i'm not saying that's wrong to do...I know people stronger than me spiritually that ensure they get at least an hour a day in. Now sometimes I do end up praying an hour at home but that's just if i'm led that way. Now of course before bible study we pray about an hour or before service but right now focusing on individual prayer cause as you point out it's easier with others.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but yeah if you just focus on the discipline of it..having a set layout to go off of (but if led by the Spirit you change) then yeah.

It's kind of like how certain churches have a set service, but if the Holy Spirit just takes over it's subject to change. You're prayer should be as that, have a set layout always and start with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
prayers by some people in the Bible were short and from sincerity of heart...examples:
1 Chronicles 4:10
Philippians 1:9-11
Luke 23:34

There's no mandate in the Bible that states one should must always be
long in prayers and be anguished, gushing tears and snot etc.
our prayer outline is: Matthew 6:9-13.
another thing to reflect on is this: Matthew 6:5-7

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pray without ceasing (II The 5:17) - someone on a forum (sorry I don't remember who said it to give them credit) said look for opportunities to pray throughout the day.

So it can be something like - getting up, we thank Yahweh because this is the day He has made (Psa 118). Listening to the news, we learn of families that need His help (I Tim 2:1). We're reminded to pray for our leaders, our government; Congress, Supreme Court and the judicial system, federal, state, county, city, etc (I Tim 2:1-2). We pray for our military and all those involved in protecting our country (Psa 91). We thank Him for our nation (Jer 29:7). Pray for the peace of Jerusalem (Psa 122:6). Getting our kids ready for the day, we pray with them and bless them as they get dropped off for school (Pro 22:6). We thank Him for our families and friends. We pray for our enemies (Matt 5:44). Seeing an accident, we pray for the victim & their families and friends, emergency & hospital personnel, law enforcement, etc. Seeing a bag lady, alcoholic, or someone else in need, we pray for them. ++++++

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The best way I've found is silent prayer in the mornings at a monastry not too far away. Then I have 40 minutes to pray for everything that comes up. I have with me a prayer book so I both read written prayers and pray freely. The only possible downside is that I can't say the prayers loud. Yet it's great because they have silent prayer there every morning except mondays. Being there I'm together with others and I wont leave until it's done. After this there is lauds for 20 minutes. Feels like a great start in the mornings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums