How do I overcome my prejudice about transgender people?

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, here is my belief about transgender people, especially transgender people. I think it is sad that there are people who have a medical issue and believe that they actually born in the wrong body. Why are people who are transgender considered in the same community with gay people? Is someone who is transgender living an alternative lifestyle like gay and bisexual people? I have no clue about transgender men and women and obviously have a prejudice about LGBT people. I would like to know how to overcome my prejudices towards the LGBT community, including transgender people.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Don't have any prejudices. As Yahweh (God) says, judge righteously the SAME judgment as Yahweh and His Word says. Don't try to make an exception, lest you fall into greater darkness and share in the sin of the world that Jesus came to save you from, Jesus died for you. Don't walk away from Him to try to play nice with the sinful world.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As Christians we sometimes are more willing to cast stones at people who experience different troubles and trials than we do.

I try to remember that Christ died so all will come to Him.

They have extra trials, but I try not to make a huge distinction between my trials and theirs and I try to have compassion for them that it is a heavy burden to carry.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is okay to be critical of poor choices, but God wants us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. If you were so deluded, how would you want God's people to respond to you?

Upvote 0

henacynflin

Site Supporter
May 14, 2018
Wales
Visit site
✟49,084.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Respond to them as to anyone else. Deal with what they say and do. Don't be misled by the idea that the medical opinion on this issue is settled. Particularly in the area of psychiatry diagnostic labels come in and out of fashion and have less of a close relationship to objective realities.

Park the LGBT aspects and relate with respect to their actions and beliefs. Their sexuality is unlikely to be important to you (unless you are considering dating them!). The choices they make and the actions the do will guide you sufficiently

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Okay, here is my belief about transgender people, especially transgender people. I think it is sad that there are people who have a medical issue and believe that they actually born in the wrong body. Why are people who are transgender considered in the same community with gay people? Is someone who is transgender living an alternative lifestyle like gay and bisexual people? I have no clue about transgender men and women and obviously have a prejudice about LGBT people. I would like to know how to overcome my prejudices towards the LGBT community, including transgender people.

It's a difficult situation, more so for families than being unbiased to a concept, or loving to a stranger. I have a cousin, born a male, married and divorced from three different women, had a son with one of them, but not considering his successes, dwelling on failures, and the influences of co-workers at a hospital including a doctor, and pursuing homosexual relationships, decided he was born in the wrong body, and went through the process as he could afford of becoming a woman (around his late 40's early 50's), though he had work done on his chest, as far as I know he could not afford the final operation. I use the word "he" because that is the word I used all my life with reference to well...him. I only knew him as a he. I have no idea how it effected his son, who got married while his dad was going through the process of becoming a woman. How would you even explain such a thing to family and friends? My dad became my mom? No, that's not quite accurate. It creates all sorts of awkwardness for those who only knew the..previous gender. He/she even changed his/her name...and ended up moving away from everyone but his/her mother and father. His/her father would not even acknowledge his/her sex change and preferred gender/name. But eventually he probably realized there was not much choice for him being his/her father. His/her mother is the sweetest woman you could ever meet, and both of his/her parents are strong devoted Christians. Personally, it blew my mind, it was difficult to wrap my mind around, this person was not a feminine like man, we're talking about a manly man, it's still difficult to believe, and it still saddens me, because I used to kind of look up to this guy, he/she is a lovely person, just a great person to be around. So I love him/her as a person, while not agreeing with his/her decisions to change his/her gender. The family relationship between him/her and me will never be the same, perhaps it is a mutual thing I do not know, but I know for me it is impossible to just forget about the man he used to be as though he never existed, and I know that person is still there, no matter how she may desire it to not be the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
First of all, you are correct that a person's gender identity and their sexual orientation are two separate issues.

Second, on the empathy question: One of the things that helped me the most was getting to spend time with some transgender people and with their friends. Listening to their stories has helped me understand their experiences, feelings, and self-perceptions; and spending time with them, just doing everyday life things, has helped me to empathize with them as people, and not just as a walking Psychology Phenomenon. (On the subject of your other thread, having gay friends and listening to their stories has also helped me understand what they go through.)

I don't know if you have any transgender friends who are willing to open up to you; it can be a pretty personal subject. But if not, explore the internet, and read some of the stories of people who are transgender or nonbinary. Not essays by experts about the transgender phenomenon, but people's own autobiographical stories.

I think it's great that you want to understand transgender and other LGBT people better. You can still disagree with some of the life choices they make, if that's where your conscience leads you, but listening to other people and understanding their point of view is a really good thing.

Reactions: Snow_Princess
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
On Apologetic_Warrior's story: Yes, it can be hardest for the family members who always knew her as "him" (or vice versa). It took me a couple of years to get used to using "she/her" pronouns for my niece, after knowing her for 20+ years as "he/him".

Several of the transgender people I know made the public gender switch on the occasion of moving to a new city, where they weren't around people who had known them before.

Reactions: bluegill_04
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hate the sin, love the sinner.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What about those that live next to a gay couple that has children or if a gay couple with children visit your church?

I don’t know, all I know is I separate their sin from the person and pray for the salvation of their soul.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Depends on if they're reprobates or not.

If they're reprobates, they hate God - therefore I will not interact with them. If they are not reprobates (meaning, they can still be saved), I will treat them like I do everyone else who are not believers: with patience, longsuffering, meekness, and gentleness as much as in me is able to in the hopes of giving them the Gospel at some point when they will be receptive to it.

I can't condone or love another who hates the Lord though, but that doesn't mean I have to act hateful towards them: God is the judge, not me, so I will keep my own conduct in line so as to not misrepresent the love that is of Christ, but will not try to stop them or warn them from condemning themselves because their hearts have been hardened.

But my view is also way more conservative then most, I think, so I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of response to this post saying how hateful I am. Meh.

• Friendly
Reactions: henacynflin
Upvote 0

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I don’t know, all I know is I separate their sin from the person and pray for the salvation of their soul.
My next door neighbours are a gay couple with children. I have no problem with them and I would hate to see if their children are hassled in school because of their parents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they're reprobates, they hate God - therefore I will not interact with them. If they are not reprobates (meaning, they can still be saved), I will treat them like I do everyone else who are not believers:...
But how would you know for sure which is their state...?

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My next door neighbours are a gay couple with children. I have no problem with them and I would hate to see if their children are hassled in school because of their parents.
their "parents" lol

What if they were aberrosexual but Muslims and had four 'moms'? Where is the conscience. It's Yin and Yang, my friend

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
their "parents" lol

No, not lol. Yes, the parents are adoptive parents. But parents who adopt children can be loving, supportive, nurturing parents, every bit as much as biological parents. The same-sex couples at my church are great parents to their kids. You can argue that they shouldn't have married, that they should be celibate, but looking at them specifically as parents: they are great dads to their kids. Kids who might have continued to bounce around the foster care system are instead getting raised by dads who love and care for them.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Now where I'm from, it be established years ago that it's an alternate lifestyle and become part of the acronym LGBT....Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender communities... there maybe other alternate lifestyles that maybe added to the LBGT as there be others who identify as different from the given identities and
their lifestyles range from living as some sort of animal or hybrid, having surgeries done to look like said animal, living in community with others who are like them etc...

Transgender people be living as /or have become a gender other than the one they were born with...granted, not all transgender have made full transition to the other gender.

There be those who have also went back to the gender they were born with and those who slide between lesbian>gay>bi identities/and or lifestyles...I worked in health care and have encountered all kinds of people and in kinds of situations.

This old world be rocking and rolling in sin and it's going to wax worse...just like
the Bible says.
Scripture teaches us to agape others and live as ambassadors of the Lord and
be praying.

I didn't have an issue taking care of people who live as LGBT or whatever...when they were sick and or injured, I gave them good care and talk to them just like I do with any others....as this be how I'd want to be treated by people.
It was in the 80s when AIDS/HIV reared its head and many caregivers wouldn't do
clients who had AIDS > HIV... I didn't reject them as clients and there be some flack but I stayed the course...I'm black and know about being treated badly and
not being given good medical care by certain medical professionals who be racist.

When asked me what I believed I told them and in all the twenty some odd years I worked in health care only two clients told the agency not to send me back and both of those clients were racists and claimed to be christians.

In this christian life we are to be unto others as Jesus demonstrated in the Bible.

Reactions: Anwen
Upvote 0