How do i love God with all my heart, soul, mind?

Terene

Bondslave of Jesus Christ
Mar 21, 2011
China
Visit site
✟8,378.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kinda long, but here it goes …. I went through a dry spell with Christianity. I read, prayed, went to church and did everything that I thought I should do. I had to re-learn being a Christian from a more passive point of view. I think it was very important to learn first to be a proactive Christian (“Faith without works is dead”), but then I needed to learn the positive passive aspects (“Be still and know that I am God)”. So to understand fully how He first loved me and why that was important, I really started thinking about myself as a child and how my family loved me and cared, truly cared, about the big and small things that would make me happy and be strong and healthy. Then I looked at other parents and how much love they showed their children and I really thought about this and would be still and think about God loving me this way. The child has to first receive the love to learn to give it. And then I began to see how this great Love for us was demonstrated by God sending His very own Son to sacrifice himself to bring us home to Him, His prodigal sons and daughters. And I also thought about how I would feel to deeply love and yearn for a child that had rejected me, and the lengths to which I would go to win him/her back and keep the child from danger. Thinking deeply from the perspective of a parent, then a child, then a sibling on unconditional love. How that love feels and how I see others experience it. I had to first put myself in this frame of mind to begin to really get it personally. To allow His Love for me to penetrate my mind. I could grasp the concept intellectually, but not personally.

And then I would remember these feelings when praying. Remember that a greater love than even these memories and feelings is what our Father has for us. And my heart would start breaking. I then expounded on the idea of love looking at newlyweds, as we are the bride of Christ. And what I felt when I looked into the eyes my sweetheart – the protectiveness, respect, kindness, forgiveness. And thought about this innocent love that Jesus has for His church. And my heart broke some more.

And then I read the Book of Martyrs and how these saints died as little Christian soldiers giving up their lives to make sure that the message of Jesus endured. And these were some horrible, horrible deaths that these people joyfully and heroically endured. In and of themselves these saints would never have been able to do this but for the Love of God being expressed for us through them.

And then I considered the beauty of the flowers (if you can check out a series of videos called “Animals that Defy Evolution”). I considered our interconnectedness and how the universe itself seems to be set up to support life on Earth. I thought about how the Lord cares to put a roof over my head and food in my belly. And I started making a daily gratitude list. And then the world slowly started to become absolutely awesome. It went from b/w to techni-color for me once I really grasped the incredible, fragile, fierce, and wondrous beauty of this world created by our Father. Our actual Father created this world. Amazing. And then how even at our absolute worst, knowing the condition of each and every heart, the Lord Jesus Christ died for us anyway. That was the most beautiful realization of all for me. Slowly crept up on me. I couldn’t really work for it, I had to let Him reveal it to me through loving interactions. Then I started to see Christ in the form of the Holy Spirit in others. Awesome again. And then I started to really feel the Holy Spirit within myself, which makes possible loving Him completely.

:amen::amen::amen: I truly wish at times that I could sympathize and comprehend the depths of His love for us, that even the sun, moon and stars and all the great hosts of heaven are made to serve us and sustain our living. If the impenitent world could only understand a small fragment of the kind of love God has for us, would not even the chiefest of sinners be brought to the knees at the mercy seat of our God and cry unto Him? Hallelujah that we serve such a great God Almighty!!! :bow::bow::bow:

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To get an idea, we only have to look to the example Jesus set.

Luke 22:42

"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

Though Jesus was greatly troubled, praying in the garden before His passion, Jesus stayed obedient to the Father, even onto death. He put God above all of His needs, above His very life.

And that is what it is like, putting God first, as He commanded. Its devoting your entire being to serving Him. To deny yourself to do His will. More than that, to do it out of love. To find a greater joy in doing His will than in worldly things. It is to always be thinking about how you can improve yourself, to make yourself more like His Son. It is to truly turn from your sins and repent from them, not just out of fear but because you love to please Him. This and many other things..that have to come from the heart.

Mathew 22:37 says: Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

My question: What does it mean to love God with all your heart, soul and mind?

Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
To get an idea, we only have to look to the example Jesus set.

Luke 22:42

"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

Though Jesus was greatly troubled, praying in the garden before His passion, Jesus stayed obedient to the Father, even onto death. He put God above all of His needs, above His very life.

And that is what it is like, putting God first, as He commanded. Its devoting your entire being to serving Him. To deny yourself to do His will. More than that, to do it out of love. To find a greater joy in doing His will than in worldly things. It is to always be thinking about how you can improve yourself, to make yourself more like His Son. It is to truly turn from your sins and repent from them, not just out of fear but because you love to please Him. This and many other things..that have to come from the heart.

My love for God is lacking. But Gods love for me is not. I confess my fault to God and I have faith that He loves me and that He will help me love Him more.

Upvote 0

gloryseven

Contributor
Nov 28, 2006
North American Union (Canada, Mexico, US)
✟22,262.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:groupray:When Jesus tells us to Love one another, He means that we need to be peaceful, kind and humble.

We need to be Peaceful, not stir up strife, confusion, and discord.

May Jesus guide us to more love and trust in His Power and not in our own. Amen.

We are not Gods, Only God Almighty is God. We need to remember we are humans with a celestial Savior.

He is Risen.:groupray::crosseo::wave:

Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
:groupray:When Jesus tells us to Love one another, He means that we need to be peaceful, kind and humble.

We need to be Peaceful, not stir up strife, confusion, and discord.

May Jesus guide us to more love and trust in His Power and not in our own. Amen.

We are not Gods, Only God Almighty is God. We need to remember we are humans with a celestial Savior.

He is Risen.:groupray::crosseo::wave:

Amen. :wave:

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mathew 22:37 says: Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

My question: What does it mean to love God with all your heart, soul and mind?

It just means: he would fill your entire life: your actions, your thoughts. It would be about HIM all the time. He would be your life, your goals. You would be longing for Him. Kind of like when you totally are into somebody: you think of them, you want them, you want to be with them. It's about giving all your heart to them and wanting them and making them number one in your life.

Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Praise our Lord Jesus Christ.:)

Psalm 16:8 I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. 9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. 10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore

Upvote 0

GodisLove2

Mar 4, 2011
✟8,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(NIV) Psalms 17:
14 By your hand save me from such people, LORD,
from those of this world whose reward is in this life.
May what you have stored up for the wicked fill their bellies;
may their children gorge themselves on it,
may there be leftovers for their little ones.
15 As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face;
when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.

:clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums