How do I know if this is idolatry vs this is just me realizing liking someone?

NASA321

Nov 5, 2015
✟9,295.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's this girl in my church that I'm crazy about. She's like everything that I like. Funny, goofy, gorgeous, loves God, kind, and compassionate. She's what I think about a lot of the times. I just haven't asked her on a date yet because she isn't ready to date. Is it idolatry for me to think about her so much?

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I've no authority, brother, but I think thinking slips into idolatry when it's all consuming your daily life and prayer life is effected by the obseesion of the object of desire instead of for seeking and spending time with God.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Reformed2

Site Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It could be. Do you think about her more than you think about Jesus? If so don't be to hard on yourself, but yest that would be idolatry, and it is much more common than many realize. Focus on Jesus, and never put anyone person on too much of a pedestal. :)

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you".

Upvote 0

Applekrate

Site Supporter
Apr 2, 2017
Arizona
✟127,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What you are writing about is called L-O-V-E. some call it infatuation. It is something we all go through. I have been there countless times and probably will be again. am sure most others here have as well. It is a good but, kind of helpless feeling depending on how she reacts to you.
It is a time to be cautious, esp for young people with less life experiences. You will find yourself doing things you would not normally do. Some of those things may be quite stupid. In extreme cases, they can be things that will haunt you the rest of your life.
Be wise, pray about it a lot. Do not do anything without prayer first. It may end up working out and be perfect but, the odds are not with you.
There is nothing wrong with friending her and treating her very well but, do not overdue it. Be mindful of how she reacts to you. Many guys do not. She will give clues, if not outright words, as to how she reacts/recieves you. If things go well and you remain interested, things may develop down the road. If things do not work out, you will feel hurt but, it is an experience that we all go through. I wish you the best.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
It could be. Do you think about her more than you think about Jesus? If so don't be to hard on yourself, but yest that would be idolatry, and it is much more common than many realize. Focus on Jesus, and never put anyone person on too much of a pedestal. :)

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you".

Can't say that I disagree.

1. Jesus
2. The bigger picture
3. Yourself.

Any of those distracted? If yes, then you have a problem.

The again, my mind is quite machine like and methodical. I lack (or possibly deny) emotion.

So I myself might have a problem lol.

Reactions: Reformed2
Upvote 0

Reformed2

Site Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know that others have opined and told the OP that this is love and normal etc but there is a possibility of idolatry. People with attachment issues are very vulnerable to idolozing the opposite sex/ romantic interests.

The fact that the OP mentioned it is indicative that it could be going on. I lovingly suggest researching attachment styles. I myself had an attachment issue before I totally gave myself to Jesus. ☺

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums