How do I know if I am baptised in the Holy Spirit and what is it ?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I like to teach the doctrine like William Seymour did 100 years before me... And that is in metaphor to the Hebrew temple...

1. Outer Gates - Justification - We enter in by faith
2. Alter - Salvation - Christ is our sacrifice
3. Laver - Sanctification (outer)- Conforming to a churches standard.
***Inside temple = inside sanctification
4. Table of Shewbread - Bible reading
5. Lampstand - E (proper Energy, motivation, love) / c2 (light, faith, hope, charity, joy)
6. Alter of Golden Incense - Prayer and praise
***You are now ready for the Holy of Holies
7. Ark of the Covenant and Baptizing in the Holy Ghost*

*The Baptism in the Holy Ghost *William Seymour warned that “Whenever the doctrine of the baptism in the Holy Ghost will only be known as the evidence of speaking in tongues, that work will be an open door for witches and spiritualist and free loveism. That work will suffer because all kinds of spirits can come in.”

Temple_zps43c1911c.png

You will know you've got it when he enters in.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Hi GCC. thank you for your response. yes I have been baptised in water and believe the other things you mentioned

Awesome! Then no worries! God has promised to be present in baptism, and he is absolutely faithful. His promises are true, and always true. God is with you, God the Holy Spirit dwells within you.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm willing to bet that this topic, and the way you worded the question, will net you some different, and likely very vigorous, responses.

I don't like to use the term "Baptized in the Holy Spirit". Pentecostals tend to have certain areas of agreement in this, but they can vary as to what happens. And often those from other parts of Christianity misunderstand what Pentecostals mean, perhaps because of the disagreements.

I prefer to discuss it in terms of "filling of the Holy Spirit". ALL believers "receive the Holy Spirit" and so all believers "have the Holy Spirit." All.

However, I believe that one can also be filled with the Holy Spirit. I believe the purpose of this is to carry out God's plans. There are some who equate it with "feelings" but that is not the actual purpose. Many do report physical sensations, most often as if something warm were poured over their heads, sometimes in waves. Some report a tingling sensation. But ... I don't believe the physical sensations are the defining factor. Some would also say that a person will automatically speak in tongues if this occurs. I do not agree with that either.

How can you know? That's a more difficult question. If you have had an experience that is like others describe, or you have spoken in tongues, that would very likely be taken as "evidence". However, I also believe that MANY believers have received an infilling of the Holy Spirit without any such sensations or ever speaking in tongues.

One can expect a renewed commitment to the Gospel, a dedication to study, a special enthusiasm to the "good works" prepared for us, or any number of other results. I would expect an increase in sanctification (but not legalism). If it is something that changes you, makes you ready and dedicated to do the things God has for you, then I would take that as almost certain evidence of having been filled with the Holy Spirit.

I believe that after the initial filling (which is what Pentecostals usually call the Baptism of the Holy Spirit) - I believe that one can also be filled again on later occasions, although it is very rarely that I hear anyone speak of this. The later fillings seem to not be a dramatic event in any case, but I believe one can repeatedly be being filled. As a matter of fact, it seems Paul instructs us to be.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
thank you so much for your answer Rocky. I was confused because a lot of people talk about "baptism of the Holy Ghost or Baptism in the Holy Ghost" but i cant find any bible teaching on it

It is a work after salvation....

14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. - Acts 8

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
thank you so much for your answer Rocky. I was confused because a lot of people talk about "baptism of the Holy Ghost or Baptism in the Holy Ghost" but i cant find any bible teaching on it

I'm not Rocky, but if you are looking for Scripture, verses such as Luke 3:16 are often considered to allude to it.

John answered and said to them all, "As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Pentecostals often take the events of Pentecost itself as evidence. It is usually assumed by Pentecostals that all of the converts who are baptized and speak in tongues throughout Acts are also evidence. This is the reason some say that speaking in tongues is a necessary evidence, but I disagree on that point.

Of course, different churches will teach differently on this. As I said, I expect you to get different opinions.

I prefer to consider such passages as Eph. 5

18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,
19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord ;

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I wish that every pentecostal that professed the Holy Spirit also possessed the Holy Spirit. If it were so I would be able to recommend the Pentecostal church to everyone! One thing for certain, and that is the Holy Spirit is not arrogance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I'm not Rocky, but if you are looking for Scripture, verses such as Luke 3:16 are often considered to allude to it.

John answered and said to them all, "As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Pentecostals often take the events of Pentecost itself as evidence. It is usually assumed by Pentecostals that all of the converts who are baptized and speak in tongues throughout Acts are also evidence. This is the reason some say that speaking in tongues is a necessary evidence, but I disagree on that point.

Of course, different churches will teach differently on this. As I said, I expect you to get different opinions.

I prefer to consider such passages as Eph. 5

18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,
19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord ;

The textual history of Luke 3:16 and its Synoptic parallels is fairly muddied, but I'd have to go with James Dunn (the leading scholar on Jesus and the Spirit) and say that the verse is better read "He will deluge you in sanctifying wind and fire." This is tribulation language, not baptism language.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0