How do I know if God can hear me

dandelionnn

Feb 22, 2009
✟7,787.00
Faith
Christian
I try to talk to him everyday. I talk to him about my problems and such...I mean that's how I start a relationship with him, right? That's what I'm doing. But how do I know if he even hears me...I ask for forgiveness, and I have been doing better with myself compared to how I used to be. But what if I've been praying to the air this whole time and he doesn't even hear me?

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For a relationship to be meaningful it has to be bilateral. In addition to talking to God you have to listen as well. Clear your thoughts and worries, and try to sense His presence and direction and what He's saying to you. Keep a steady daily diet of the Word, as the Spirit leads you to read, recall and meditate. We don't always get rhema words, sometimes we must walk by the logos and by faith and conscience. But by the rights of our heritage in Christ Jesus, our loving Father will speak to us personally when it is for our good for Him to do so. Also, persevere, persist and endure, because sometimes it takes time for the breakthrough.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also,

posted: I ask for forgiveness,

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:9

How we can be sure He hears us?

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

"God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?" Num 23:19

"Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them." Mark 11;24

"But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly' Mat 6:6. ETC

There are things we need to be sure of. For example, that we don't pray amiss James 4:3. Plus ask in His name (John 12:13), timing (Isa 40:31), etc.

Of course, this isn't a comprehensive coverage of this topic. Perhaps it's a beginning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Living in the Light

How may I be a better Christian?
Jan 7, 2012
United States
✟16,371.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
God is Omniscient, all knowing. God hears your prayer and He is not only in the air someplace, but with you. He is all Omnipresent -- he is everywhere. Possibly get rid of your doubt and you will experience the Presence. God will reveal Himself to you in His own way and time. Continue to pray and believe. Blessings.

Upvote 0

drew89

Oct 4, 2012
✟8,465.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
I am always skeptical of people who say "God told me..." I do not know of any Scriptural evidence that special revelation continues after the completion of the New Testament. It's funny how God tells a lot of people a lot of conflicting things. I think most of them, if not all, have convinced themselves that their own thoughts are God talking to them. Rely on Scripture and the teachings of Christ. They are true regardless of what you feel. Learn to ignore your feelings about whether God hears you, and know that he does. Our feeling and emotions change, but truth does not.

Upvote 0

Living in the Light

How may I be a better Christian?
Jan 7, 2012
United States
✟16,371.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Ask for a sign, I do and have recieved many, Saterday past, I am strolling along the beach by myself looking down at the sand and thinking to myself and knowing He is listening in of course , I thought, would it not be great if I could find something in the sand, like a ring or something that would somehow be a sign from you God, not that I need a sign to believe in you, but just a little something to show me I am on the write path. Anyway a couple of hours go by and as I am leaving, low and behold there in the sand is a ring, straight away I know that this is my sign, ariveing back home and upon closer inspection with a magnify glass, praise be to our wounderful God, written in latin is The Lords Pray Matthew 6:9-13 . go figar

Wow, Sin Machine, I really like your experience. It's good that you can recognize when our Lord is trying to get through to you. "Heaven and earth is full of His glory."

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I try to talk to him everyday. I talk to him about my problems and such...I mean that's how I start a relationship with him, right? That's what I'm doing. But how do I know if he even hears me...I ask for forgiveness, and I have been doing better with myself compared to how I used to be. But what if I've been praying to the air this whole time and he doesn't even hear me?

Well, you'd be quite silly to be just praying to the air. How do you know you're not? The Bible, the Word of God, says so. Do you believe that the Bible is the Word of God? If not, I can see why you'd have doubts about the value of prayer. Do you know why Christians trust that the Bible speaks authoritatively as the Word of God?

Selah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums