New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 10:26-31
"It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the Living God"

The one thing that to this day is frightening to me is that it seems that this has happened to me (fell into Gods hands in a form of Judgment) and if I am indeed guilty of the sin mentioned in Hebrews 10:26-31 then I am done for.

You can't be guilty of it because you accept it and repent from it, in fact your fear of committing this sin is much the opposite of committing it. Your faith is really strong to get you through such heavy depression. I think maybe you're missing just a wee bit of the full story and you're maybe getting into negative thoughts on the POV you have of life. God wants you to live in the joy of Christ and rejoice with every day being another day to live in His eternal glory.

Read John 15, will explain our role in the world and the ruler of the world we have been saved from.

Then read the book of Nahum, its like 3 chapters.

Then concentrate on psalms and proverbs, those are good uplifting books, you'll get to see lots of God's personality there and His unfailing love and mercy. It is the positive side of God that you need to concentrate on, anything negative harmful or evil comes from the world and not from God. The Bible tends to draw our conclusions in sets of a-b stories, where first we see the fearsomeness of God, then we see God's mercy and love. Be careful not to stop reading before the right conclusion is drawn, you might conclude that God is evil and that will certainly get you down :cry: I hope you find some uplifting scripture to help you understand what God is telling you.

Upvote 0

JSGuitarist

Παρα σοι ιλασμος εστιν
Mar 7, 2008
✟9,364.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hate to say this, but you're twisting the word a bit here. He doesn't provide us with these 'wedding gowns." He expects us to provide them for ourselves.

Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.
“Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’
“But they paid no attention and went off–one to his field, another to his business. The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.

“Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. Go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, both good and bad, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.
“But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. ‘Friend,’ he asked, ‘how did you get in here without wedding clothes?’ The man was speechless.
“Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
“For many are invited, but few are chosen.” (Matt 22:1-14)

You're correct, and I submit to that; however, I don't believe that the parable then by default states that salvation is by any kind of works, for in many other places Scripture is unmistakeably clear on how our justification comes about.

Ephesians 2:8-10 - "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

It is the same principle as in Romans 3:23-28, where works have failed to create the saving faith, and that they have failed to create any kind of justification before God. What you see in this passage and what you also see in Romans 3 is that not only are works insufficient, but the Gospel intends to take out any potential for bragging or boasting that might be attempted by the saved party. If there are any works that are involved, then the individual has a right to boast.

[Forgot to put in more; more to come later]

JSGuitarist is correct Little_Meg, there is nothing that we can do to earn the wedding gown as it has already been bought and paid for by the blood of Christ Jesus on our behalf. If it was up to us to provide the wedding gown for ourselves through some kind of work other than believing what Jesus already did for us then Christ did die in vain.

I went through a year or two of trying so hard to make myself presentable before God by trying to be as perfect and as obedient as I possibly could be and you know what? My life turned into a living hell for me. I kid you not when I say this and its not my imagination or anything else playing tricks on me, I could literally both sense and feel Gods anger and wrath burning against me the more that I tried to please him without looking to the only one who can save me.

During this period of my self righteousness I experienced the darkest of darkest times that I have ever been through from terrors and nightmares of going to Hell almost every single night to waking up in the morning and feeling a huge enormous weight weighing down on my most inner being as if my very soul was being crushed! The pain was so very bad that for the first 10 minutes in the morning I would lie awake in tears buckled over in pain, it was so bad that I could barely get to the shower and make it to work.

Also something seemed different when looking at Gods creation as it seemed as though the trees, flowers, sun, moon etc were all looking down on me in disappointment, it was as if God was looking at me through his creation in utter and complete anger. I know that sounds off the wall but you will just have to trust me with what im telling you.

Yes, as scripture tells us the wrath of God abides on those who do not believe on the son and I am most convinced that I experienced Gods wrath and anger to the fullest possible extent without him actually plunging me into the depths of Hell.

Does God have some stored up mercy for me behind all of this wrath? I only hope so. I have hoped that God is using that dark period as an actual extension of his mercy to me to show me what will happen to me if I do not trust completely on his Son and his Son alone with no works of my own.

Some tell me that I went through a demonic oppression/attack and while it might seem to be so im really not so sure about that as this was something extremely powerful and heavy weighing down on me. I would most certainly describe what I went through as the hand of God pressing down on my very being with enough force to make my very soul feel as though it would collapse at any moment and the ground beneath my feet to give way at any moment from the huge weight and then myself sinking down into the pits of Hell.

Going through these torments its no wonder that I often think that I have committed the unpardonable sin or pushed God too far. Most people seem to think im just being silly etc but I tell them that if they went through what I experienced they wouldn't be so hard on me.

Hebrews 10:26-31
"It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the Living God"

The one thing that to this day is frightening to me is that it seems that this has happened to me (fell into Gods hands in a form of Judgment) and if I am indeed guilty of the sin mentioned in Hebrews 10:26-31 then I am done for.

I had tried this at one point. I don't think that there was any time at which God allowed me to more see the wretchedness of my own sin more than at that time. In many ways, it felt the same way that you described, and I never felt so sure that the wrath of God was upon me!

If you've read Pilgrim's Progress, there is a point where the character (not yet Christian, for he was unsaved at the time) was led by a man named Mr. Worldly Wiseman who [in great paraphrase] tells him, "Why do you want to undertake such a dangerous journey to relieve that heavy burden on your back when there is a much easier way? I can tell you how to relieve that burden on your back. There is a town nearby called Morality, where a man named Legality dwells, who has a good name, as well as his son named Civility. You go and converse with these men, and they will teach you how to relieve your burden, and you will be able to live a life with respectable men who have a name of good character."

The Pilgrim takes his advice, and so he approaches the town Morality which dwells on a hillside. In order to do this, he had to go out of the way that the Evangelist (who at the beginning warns him to "flee from the wrath to come"). But the closer he comes to the hill, the heavier his burden becomes, the hill appears far higher, and he feels as though the mountain may fall upon him. It also begins spitting out fire, and he becomes afraid that he will be burnt. He meets the evangelist again, who asks him how it is that he has turned out of the way so quickly. When the pilgrim realizes his error, he is very grieved that he has gone out of the way such as he has, and he wonders, "Could there possibly be forgiveness for a sinner like me?" To which the evangelist replies, "Every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven of men," and "be not faithless, but believing."

There is nothing so odious to God as what we perceive to be our own goodness. To think that we have any goodness at all is to understand the central purpose of the law, which was to expose sin. In Romans what you see is that the only reason the law was set up was to expose sin, to drive men to repentance. All that the law could ever do was aggravate the flesh against God, and make him embittered towards Him. This has been my own experience; when I think that I have some kind of standing before God, I only wonder how it is that He does not accept my acts, and instead knocks them out of my hands as being worthless. He cannot take them, for they are filthy and sinful to them, even the very best of them are as grime. It is no surprise to me that you get the same sense as I did when I tried to be justified by my own doings, that you felt nothing but condemnation. For there is nothing in you but that which is condemnable.

But know that every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven, and don't be one who is unbelieving, but believe.

I know that this is a question of the unpardonable sin for you, but the truth is that it's a question of unbelief. All sin begins with unbelief, even blasphemy. What the Pharisees had was unbelief, and that was why they sinned in the way they did. It sounds simple--deceptively simple--but the rock bottom line of it is unbelief.

Pilgrim's Progress | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

There is a section of Pilgrim's Progress in here. Go to the dialogue where Mr. Worldly Wiseman enters. I believe that this will give you understanding, as it describes his wandering into self-righteousness and legalism. Read the Scriptures that are cited. But what you read, combine it with faith and belief, or there will be little or no benefit for you; turn yourself out of the way which you go now, and do not return to it.

Continue to flee. I do not believe that the Spirit has abandoned you, and I only feel more sure of that the more we talk. Be encouraged, and believe that Christ will never cast out one who comes to Him. That is a promise.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We should try our best to not sin but it is impossible to stop sinning. We are imperfect being and incapable of perfection while on earth. As believers, Christ has covered our sins by his blood. The sins of the past, present, and future. If we have a repentant spirit, he is faithful and just to forgive us. Striving for perfection and good works does not save us.

Our faith in Christ gives us the power to strive for what the Spirit wants rather than our sinful nature, but our humanity is always going to be there.

Question about being a Christian - Christian Forums - here is a relevant thread on this very topic.

Upvote 0

Hupomone10

Veteran
Mar 21, 2010
Here
✟12,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Just a quick question to experienced and learned members, considering I've been a Christian only since the beginning of this year.

Is it necessary that we stop sinning? Isn't faith in Christ enough?
Faith in Christ is enough for sins to be forgiven. Continued faith in Christ and His accomplished work is the means whereby the Holy Spirit applies the further work of the cross to our sinful nature, allowing us to progressively be free in experience from those sins that have plagued us.

Upvote 0

JSGuitarist

Παρα σοι ιλασμος εστιν
Mar 7, 2008
✟9,364.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just a quick question to experienced and learned members, considering I've been a Christian only since the beginning of this year.

Is it necessary that we stop sinning? Isn't faith in Christ enough?

Because of faith in Christ, you will turn from sin. It begins with believing, the repentance from sin accompanies it, and all repentance really is, is a change of mind. Biblically, a change of mind in concerns to sin. These passages say it well.

1 John 1
5This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. 6If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

The mark of a true Christian is one who walks in the light, as He is in the light. What I believe this to mean is that the Christian abandons any idea of walking in sin. He sees that Christ "is in the light," as so he himself wants to be "in the light." The counterbalance, that John wants to make clear, is that there is not one who does not sin, and that there is nobody in this life who is perfect (I know some will say otherwise, who I believe are self-deceived), but there is a change of heart and mind towards sin that leaves no man behind and takes no prisoners.

1 John 3 (NASB)
1See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. 3And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
4Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness. 5You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. 6No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him.

7Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; 8the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 10By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

Again, the habit and practice of a Christian is one that aims towards sinlessness. Even though this is not acheived in life, one born of God certainly desires it. This passage refers to a lifestyle that shows the person has put all sin behind him, and desires to walk in righteousness as much as possible; and if that is the case of the heart, then it will show in the lifestyle. If a person, you see, lives in open sin and rebellion, has no remorse or repentance, and in his heart is only harboring love for the sin with no intention of truly giving it up, the person is not truly born again. But the person who is born again "purifies himself as He is pure," meaning that he lives in the furnace of refinement, wanting to be rid of sin, and so he makes every effort to purge it out. He wants to be like Christ, and that means abandoning all sin and endeavoring for righteousness.

Once again, the Christian is not perfect, I don't want to make a brother stumble by asserting that one is. Many godly men have fallen into even gross sin, but the difference between them and the reprobate is that they have gotten back up, sought forgiveness, and found their first love again. Even the very "best" are deeply saddened by the remaining corruption, and they see more and more of their sin as life goes on, and it breaks them. However, there is an attitude of the heart, mind and will in the Christian that does actually hate sin, and wants to be rid of it, and it shows that he does.

The life will tell how the professed believer truly feels about sin. He hates sin, loves righteousness, strives to be rid of one and abundant in acts of the other; even when he does sin, it pains him; and the more deliberate the sin, the more he is pained and agonized over it. And when he is lacking in acts of righteousness, it pains him as well in the same way.

But to be abundantly clear, these do not happen because they are necessary to become born again, but they happen because they are the RESULT of being born again! The natural man loves sin, hates righteousness, and pursues it because it gives him pleasure. The born-again man hates sin, loves righteousness, and lives so because he truly hates sin and truly loves righteousness. If faith is a seed, the works are the tree.

It starts with faith, then the repentance naturally (as opposed to forced) comes with it, and so do all these other things. They are not as strong in the beginning as they are towards the end of life, but they are there, and they are real.

The two-part task here is to not underplay the Biblical necessity of fleeing sin and being rid of it, and understanding that the work of sanctification is never complete in this life, and that believers do indeed still sin. But the life will manifest the work of God, if the work of God has been done in a person.

To answer your question, you are saved and justified by nothing but your faith. Even the very mindblowing simplicity of looking to Christ is enough. All of this is to say that true faith will naturally bring fruit.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
RobertZ.....

Have you ask God to be the Lord of your life - sounds simple doesn't it - if you have and you believe - when you keep asking God for forgiveness of sins you have already repented of - God is saying...what sins - I don't see your sins, you are white as snow. God has forgiven your sins, you keep kicking yourself for sins that have been thrown into the lake of forgetfulness - God remembers them no more.

I am seeing a person that has had legalism in church shoved on him for many years - I had the same thing, I threw down all religion, all legalism, all the 'can't do' things that people tell us we can't do - just turned and put my hand in the hand of Jesus and let the Holy Spirit lead me.

All this time you are thinking that God doesn't love you and has declaired you not good enough is just what the enemy wants you to do.

God is not a respector of persons - He loves you as much as another - you are putting the shield up and not letting God's love through into your heart. The Bible tells us that Jesus is our Friend - how do you treat a friend - do you keep telling your friend that he doesn't like you and says you are not good enough - this is not God saying this - Jesus stands with his hand out to you and looks sadly at you as you hang your head and accuse him of not letting you be one of His elect - this is not the picture at all.

Stand firm, head up and reaching to Jesus, shed all that guilt - it is not from God - you are a child of God, just let God's love into your heart and stop painting all the sins you have repented from all over again - Jesus does not see them. You are wasting your precious time of having JEsus love you and you loving him and walking hand in hand and letting the Holy Spirit guide you - Jesus' very Spirit is within you - how sad He must be to think you are beating yourself up when there is no need to do it - just see all those sins in the lake of forgetfullness, look up and see the love of Jesus flowing all over you.

Upvote 0

Serenaa02

Aug 11, 2010
✟15,145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it's all this anger you have in you that is seperating you from being closer to God. It sounds almost like you expect him to come to you when you need to show him change and act upon it with a full heart too.
Have patience, he loves you and is always with you. Maybe the reason why you are typing this IS because you are venting but the real reason is because there's a big part of you despite the anger you're lashing out, there's a part of you that knows you sinned and wants to change.
Hold onto that. Don't give up. Everybody suffers but christians are in this together.

1 Peter 5:8-9 Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.

Also I have tried reading my Bible, reading the Gospels and I get nothing out of it. No closeness to God no nothing, I just sense his anger burning down on me as I try to get close to him, its as if he is saying I have rejected you because you rejected me. It seems like the closer I try to get to God the angrier he becomes with me. I give up, I just give up and will stop trying. I dont even know why im typing this, just venting I guess.

I have a younger brother who is saved, God called him to himself and saved his soul a few years ago while I have done nothing but care about worldly things and lusted after women, it reminds me of an Esau scenario where God said Jacob I have loved and Esau I have hated. I wish at times God would just go ahead and take my soul, at least then I would not have to worry about going to hell I would just go ahead and get it over with and be there.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I have been in this dilemma most of my pathetic 37yrs on this earth. I grew up around the gospel and have been exposed to it all my life yet somehow I have either missed my opportunity for salvation or I simply do not understand how to be saved or im not one of Gods elect and I cant be saved even if I wanted to be saved.

I have said the sinners prayer a gazzillion times and now Im finding out that this isnt even biblical as there is no such thing as anyone in the Bible asking Jesus into their hearts for salvation.

I have lived a life of deep deep sin despite my exposure to the gospel so as you can imagine I feel pretty much condemned. I have sinned willfully after knowing better so I often wonder if I committed the unpardonable sin as the unpardonable sin can be committed by a person who keeps on sinning willfully when they know better because eventually you get to the point to where God tells his spirit to leave you alone after which time you are given up by God and you are damned.

I really dont know what has happened to me, I really dont. People keep telling me that there is nothing that I can do to earn Gods grace but then they come right back around and tell me that I must do this or do that to be saved! so which is it?! do I just believe and thats it or is there more to it then that?! How has something that is supposed to be so simple so complicated at the same time?

Im getting fed up with this, Im really ready to throw in the towel and call it quits. The depression is overwhelming me to the point of considering suicide. I see all these happy Christians all around me who know they are going to heaven and I get so jealous because its as if God loves them more than me and made sure to save those people while making sure I could never be saved. Im sorry, I know some of this sounds horrible but its the way that I feel. If I was created to end up burning in hell for eternity then I really wish God had never bothered creating me but then in Romans it says that God hardens whom he will harden and haves mercy on whom he will have mercy so I guess I have no say so about any of this. Some vessels are vessels of wrath fitted for destruction to bring glory to Gods elect and im guessing its pretty obvious that im a vessel fitted for destruction.

I became hooked on inappropriate content at the young age of 12 after stumbling upon a playboy magazine on a roadside ditch and to this day I still want to look at it even though I have put it away and dont look at it anymore but just because I have put my sin away means nothing, that is called self reformation and nothing more and it will lead only to death.

Heres the best illustration I can give to your answer.

Basically, the temple is where sacrifices are to be made. And sacrifices are the only way that one can be forgiven of sin. We are now the temple, in which God in the form of the Ruach Hakodesh (holy spirit) dwells within.

The secret to all of this is you can't do it all by yourself. Yeshua was the righteous man, who came as the ultimate sin sacrifice, so that we are ultimately and forever forgiven of our sins.

You have to accept Yeshua as the sin sacrifice of your life. You have to be willing to change your character, and relieve yourself of the flaws that go against God's word, and live life the way he has commanded you to do. Deuteronomy 30:11-14 offers these encouraging words " 11 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, "Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?" 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, "Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?" 14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it." Yeshua declares in like fashion in Matthew 5:17-20 "17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." You are saved by grace, God's grace. He forgave sin in the Tanakh when sacrifices were offered. Now Yeshua has come, and this has alleviated for the time being, the death penalty until he returns. You are only now to be obedient to what he commands. Accepting this reality is all that is needed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums