How do I find Jewish scholars in my area?

MikeinSeattle

Looking for believers to pray with. Message me.
Mar 22, 2019
Seattle
✟34,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

So this question is coming from someone with no Jewish connections at all. As a Christian the more I study the Old Testament the more I wish that I was in fellowship with people who have a deep understanding of the historical Judaism and tradition and culture and just everything about Jewish history. Especially ancient Jewish history.

Could anyone give me some advise on trying to find Jewish scholars that I could get to know well enough that I could ask them questions of regularly? Perhaps this forum is a good place? I dont know.

Thanks

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are not a ton of Jewish people on these forums, much less scholars. There are knowledgeable people, however. The best way I have found it just to reach out to some! Email or call someone that might be respected in your area. I have spoken with Rabbis from Chabad, Reform, and Messianic congregations in my area. They have all been more than willing to talk or email about questions or thoughts - some have been extremely helpful even though I am not Jewish they have taken time to write me and help with issues.

D. Thomas Lancaster and Tobby Janicki out of Beth Immanuel and First Fruits of Zion in Hudson WI are nice, but very busy. They are probably one of the most prominent Messianic Jewish "scholars" around right now and they both have written many books about Jewish and Messianic beliefs/history.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
google is your friend. IUse it to find jewish forums and jewish communities in your area.
A rabbi will respond to a request to learn more about judaism. Try reddit as there are many ethnic groups there.
One word of advice. Do check out what flaviour of judaism you are interacting with.
A friend of mine went to a series of eveening classes run by the local synagog. He was very surprised to learn that they were liberal jews who did not believe in the miracles in the OT.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, try to keep a mind that you will be learning the "Jewish" point of view, which likely will be different from the mainstream Christian, and possibly different from the Messianic perspective as well. I have found great value in learning these different perspectives and how to mesh them with the Christian one in my life and understanding. Worth noting is that even the "Jewish" perspective is not necessarily what is believed by any one Jewish person, or group. Meanings of verses or scriptures can vary by person - hence the volumes of material written on opinions of various sages and rabbis. Further, what is believed now may not necessarily be what was believed in the 1st century by Yeshua and the Apostles. What I mean is that even with the volumes of material written, things change in the understanding of passages. For example, do some research on "Memra" theology, it would have been reasonably common in the 1st century, and is part of the Targums - but it is essentially absent now.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

So this question is coming from someone with no Jewish connections at all. As a Christian the more I study the Old Testament the more I wish that I was in fellowship with people who have a deep understanding of the historical Judaism and tradition and culture and just everything about Jewish history. Especially ancient Jewish history.

Could anyone give me some advise on trying to find Jewish scholars that I could get to know well enough that I could ask them questions of regularly? Perhaps this forum is a good place? I dont know.

Thanks
Read the OT.

Upvote 0

Alien Lotus

Jul 8, 2019
Mid-Atlantic USA
✟5,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all,

Thanks
Maybe this resource. Jewish Renewal Directory | ALEPH Click the "Contact" link in the top right of the page.

Reactions: MikeinSeattle
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe this resource. Jewish Renewal Directory | ALEPH Click the "Contact" link in the top right of the page.

Jewish Renewal is on the far left of the spectrum of Judaism, sme do not even believe in God as we would understand. Now, that might be OK and what the OP is looking for, but it is worth noting. They are also a rather small grouping. Personally I would reach out to Chabad. While they are generally Orthodox, they are also super helpful and friendly in my experience.

OP, Maybe pick up a Artscoll Tanak. It is a great translation and full of commentary from Rashi, it definitely gives a good perspective on the Jewish scriptures.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: MikeinSeattle
Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

Thanks
Sefaria: a Living Library of Jewish Texts Online

Upvote 0

pinacled

Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oftentimes local synagogues host discussions by scholars on a frequent basis. Most of them post their calendar of events online. Local universities with Jewish studies programs are another option as are Yeshivas and the Orthodox Union.

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks
You could begin by asking a question or two here. Members are more than willing to attempt to answer your question(s). Do you have a preference whether the Jewish scholar is Orthodox, Messianic or Christian? Even within Messianic Judaism you'll find "scholars" of Jewish ancestry have their own unique perspectives just as do members of this MJ forum.

Why don't you begin by asking a question on this MJ forum as members are quite knowledgeable of reference books, articles, links, youtubes of Jewish scholars as well as their/our own insights into Hebrew/Jewish history.

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I wish that I was in fellowship with (Jewish) people who have a deep understanding of the historical Judaism and tradition and culture and just everything about Jewish history. Especially ancient Jewish history.

There's nothing wrong with being a Gentile and not knowing any Jewish people. About the 'ancient Jewish history' part, perhaps consider 'Hebrew and Jewish' studies.

Jewish scholars that I could get to know well enough that I could ask them questions of regularly?

Did you mean Jewish or Hebrew ? Hebrew or Christian ? Follower of tradition or follower of Christ ? Physically circumcised or spiritually circumcised ? Because contrary to common knowledge there are many types of 'Jews' and without checking you may find yourself dissapointed. See discussion here, https://www.quora.com/Are-Jews-and-Hebrews-different

Many diaspora Jews I know are practically atheists who attend synagogue out of cultural / traditional obligation. And other Jews may be Christian sympathisers, not necessarily Christians. i.e. Nicodomites, who publicly misrepresent themselves, sympathising with Jesus by night.

The expression 'Hebrew of Hebrews' is used by Paul for this reason. He is the kind of teacher you want, not any old 'Jew' or 'Jewish scholar'.

"Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision. For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord." (Philippians 3:5)

This is why some have broken away from being 'Jews' and have chosen to be Messianics Jews or Hebrew Christians, focusing on Christ, not human tradition. Others have assimilated into Christianity. All focusing on Christ.

You could begin by asking a question or two here. Members are more than willing to attempt to answer your question(s). Do you have a preference whether the Jewish scholar is Orthodox, Messianic or Christian? Even within Messianic Judaism you'll find "scholars" of Jewish ancestry have their own unique perspectives just as do members of this MJ forum.

Why don't you begin by asking a question on this MJ forum as members are quite knowledgeable of reference books, articles, links, youtubes of Jewish scholars as well as their/our own insights into Hebrew/Jewish history.

This is a good point, it raises the debate around means of learning, formally vs informally, one-to-one vs one-to-many, structured programs vis independent learning, etc. Philosophy of education being a debate in itself.

It also raises the issue of submission to authority, submission to elders and church / synagogue authority, and the issue of true religion, as opposed to tradition of men, or ethnic/linguistic advantage being Jewish (Jewish believers, not unbelievers). i.e. what it means to a member of a church, as part of the body of Christ.

See Hebrews 13,

"Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation. Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein. ... Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you." (Heb. 13:7-9, 17)

i.e. Elders who preach Jesus Christ, spiritually and joyfully.

Seeking out true teaching (not traditional teaching) is right in principle, but often what is in front of us already is what God has provided, and to a degree we must be content with that (whatever it is), remembering not to covet after 'any thing that is thy neighbours' (10th commandment).

Blessings :)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

pinacled

Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums