how do I convert an atheist to Christianity?

Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I saw some K-pop group members' religions and found out that some of my friends at church are Atheists so how do I convert an Atheist to Christianity?

YOU don't. God does if / when it happens.

Upvote 0

Karin12414

Nothing is impossible for my God!
Jul 9, 2018
Lakeland
✟29,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Christians are called to love and spread the Gospel, only God can convert/save.

Just keep them in your prayers and continue to be an example of God's love through your actions and how you treat them. Don't change anything about how you treated them before you found out. Just act Christ-like and show them His power by living your life like a changed and new person, set apart from the ways of the world. :)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Perhaps the same way , without being a wife to them, but the same way God Says a woman can convert her own husband, if God permits:

1 Peter 3 English Standard Version (ESV)
Wives and Husbands
3 Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, 2 when they see your respectful and pure conduct. 3 Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— 4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. 5 For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.

I saw some K-pop group members' religions and found out that some of my friends at church are Atheists so how do I convert an Atheist to Christianity?

• Agree
Reactions: Karin12414
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Lanae, I agree, only God can convert an atheist to Christianity, but He does give us the great privilege of being part of the process as His witnesses, and we may also end up needing to be apologists and evangelists as well :) .. e.g. Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:13-17; 1 Peter 3:15; cf 1 Corinthians 13:1-8.

As Karin just said, pray for opportunities to share your faith with them, and make sure that you act like a Christian is supposed to act whenever you're around them .. e.g. Matthew 5:16.

Since they are friends (rather than people you've never met and/or people that you will have little contact with in the future), you'll want to approach them as such. I think the first thing that I would do is find out what they believe, specifically, and why, and I'd probably want to find out why they, as atheists, are choosing to hang out at church ;) I think I've heard this kind of approach called "conversational evangelism", so always remember that working the Gospel into the ongoing "conversation" you're having with them (and that sooner than later whenever possible) is something that you should always be praying for the opportunity to do (and then by following the Lord's lead, of course). After all, faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ .. Rom 10:17.

Hopefully this will not be a problem for you (since these atheists are choosing to hang out with church people), but the word of God always needs to be regarded as something that is precious, so the Lord (in Matthew 7:6) has commanded us to be discerning whenever we share it with others.

The Gospel is meant to be,

1. believed* or
2. not believed*,​

never mocked, sullied, ridiculed, etc. (nor did the Lord intend that those with the "beautiful feet" .. Romans 10:15, be ridiculed and scorned or harmed when we present the Good News about Him either, though sadly, it certainly happens). If these friends of yours do something along those lines, you will want to bring the witnessing you are doing to a quick and polite close, as they are more than likely not ready to hear it, and they certainly do not deserve to hear it (at least at that moment anyway).

*People are welcome to openly question what the Bible has to say, of course, but they need to do so in a respectful manner.

Praying for you!

--David

1 Corinthians 13
6 Love .. does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Remember too that atheists normally take great pride in their intelligence (as well their knowledge and understanding of all things), so you will want to avoid offending them in regard to that (especially since many/most seem to believe that we are severely lacking in all those areas based simply upon the fact that we chose to become Christians :rolleyes:).

So, as often as possible, try to avoid "telling" them anything. Instead, ask them questions that will help them think critically about the Gospel for themselves (and thereby come to their own conclusions about it).

Here's an excellent book by Greg Koukl that will help you with this approach to evangelism: Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Lybrah
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
First, understand that conversion is their decision, not yours. All you can do is try.

You might tell them that the Lord will solve all their problems for them - he solves all my problems for me.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

That being said, I am a former Atheist that converted, so it does happen. It requires thick skin from the Christian attempting to do so, and a lot of effort. I myself was very resistant and often quite mean in this regard. Ultimately, tbe person themself needs to take that leap, you can only facilitate the process as much as you can. It takes time.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, identify whether or not you're actually an evangelist. Not everyone is an evangelist. In the New Testament, we see this model for evangelists:

1. Called to evangelism and so gifted by the Holy Spirit
2. Thoroughly trained in the gospel by teachers in the Church
3. Commissioned to an evangelistic mission by a congregation
4. Accountable to that congregtion for the execution of that mission

If you are actually an evangelist, the Holy Spirit will tell you where to go, who to speak to, and how to speak to them. If you listen to Him.

Evangelism is not the same thing as "witnessing." The difference is this:

Evangelism is telling people what Jesus did for them.
Witnessing is telling people what Jesus did for you.

Take for example Jesus speaking to the Samaritan woman at the well. Jesus evangelized her; the woman then witnessed.

Every Christian should have a witness. Ponder what Jesus has done for you. Think about it, clarify it in your own mind, and develop a narrative so that you can tell others. Check out the 3:15 Project for examples and inspiration.

With regard to "conviction of sins," that's the role of the Holy Spirit (John 16:8).

You can almost never convict anyone of his sins, except with explicit words from the Holy Spirit designed for that individual.

That's because you don't really know what I call the "convicting sin" is for any given person. Oh, you may know of some particular sin that person is committing, but you don't know the particular sin the Holy Spirit is actually prying loose within them.

So by harping on the wrong sin and antagonizing the person on something they don't (yet) think is a problem, you're not helping--you're hindering the process.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bonus tips: None of these techniques have EVER convinced ANYONE of ANYTHING.

Speaking in tongues or other pseudo-miracles.

People’s conversion stories.

Any subjective experience.

The Bible Code or similar numerological feats.

Creationism of any sort.

Actually, personal conversion stories and subjective experiences have, indeed, frequently worked. They usually work better than evangelism. Scripture gives us a couple of examples as well as direct instruction to use personal conversion and subjective experience stories. It's called "being a witness," a different thing from evangelism.

Think of them as "user reviews."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, personal conversion stories and subjective experiences have, indeed, frequently worked. They usually work better than evangelism. Scripture gives us a couple of examples as well as direct instruction to use personal conversion and subjective experience stories. It's called "being a witness," a different thing from evangelism.

Think of them as "user reviews."

In this postmodern age, personal testimonies actually can be more relevant than the often argumentative tone some apologists/evangelists have taken in the past (think of Jack Chick here). Provided the testimonies are sincere, and not simply dumped on people decontextualized from an authentic human relationship.

Apologetics is actually inspired by the Greek rhetorical tradition, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the Bible. There have been Christians, such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer, that have rejected it as misguided.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In this postmodern age, personal testimonies actually can be more relevant than the often argumentative tone some apologists/evangelists have taken in the past (think of Jack Chick here). Provided the testimonies are sincere, and not simply dumped on people decontextualized from an authentic human relationship.

Personal testimony includes what others see in your life.

I note that the Greek martus, from which we get "martyr" and actually means "one who bears witness unto death." The Greeks believed you couldn't validly assert the character of a person until the person was dead--then you could properly judge character by how the entire life had been lived.

While we may not wait until we're dead to testify what Jesus has done for us, our lives should show it.

It's kind of like giving a testimonial for a product. People need to see you actually using it to believe you when you say it's great.

Apologetics is actually inspired by the Greek rhetorical tradition, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the Bible. There have been Christians, such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer, that have rejected it as misguided.

My opinion is that apologetics is most useful for believers who are trying to figure it out.

I think Paul attempted it, but then abandoned it, from what he said about the inability of Greek reasoning to grasp the gospel.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Don't just TELL 'EM. Got's to SHOW 'em

of course,

you have to adorn the gospel in your life as well as speak it from your mouth.

no one is going to come to faith based on evidence. evidence isn't the issue. a lack of faith is. someone coming to faith based on evidence means they put God under their judgement and this will change if they get new evidence. that's not a renewing of your mind. that's not a new creation.

it's why getting into debates with non-believers is pointless.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟733,159.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is often the case with Atheists that they at one point were bought up in church, or had a church back ground. They are usually in my opinion the hardest group to convert due to their past choices to ignore the message of Christ. However this is not always the case. I know of atheists that have converted to Christ.

Personally I don't know what the best method is to convert an atheist. Pray, study the case for Christ, just share your own testimony.

• Friendly
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Are not most all of all 'religious'/'Christian' forums debates with non-believers?
True, most threads never result in anyone's conversion nor salvation.....
(have only seen one person's mind changed / ('saved')/ in over ten years, and that because they saw all the arguing amongst /about a group/ and went and searched for themselves to find the truth and found it! (they had not realized it in all their years until they saw first hand the members of the group arguing so vehemently trying to defend their indefensible 'religion')

Any atheist might likewise realize with so many different arguing points and opposing views online, that they are going to have to search for the truth themselves, personally, if they hope to ever find it.

If an atheist ever then does search for truth, and keeps searching, they find it!!!! (just not on forums, but in Scripture/ "in Spirit and in Truth")

Upvote 0

Lanae

Sep 20, 2017
NC
✟46,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Christians are called to love and spread the Gospel, only God can convert/save.

Just keep them in your prayers and continue to be an example of God's love through your actions and how you treat them. Don't change anything about how you treated them before you found out. Just act Christ-like and show them His power by living your life like a changed and new person, set apart from the ways of the world. :)

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

That being said, I am a former Atheist that converted, so it does happen. It requires thick skin from the Christian attempting to do so, and a lot of effort. I myself was very resistant and often quite mean in this regard. Ultimately, tbe person themself needs to take that leap, you can only facilitate the process as much as you can. It takes time.

First, identify whether or not you're actually an evangelist. Not everyone is an evangelist. In the New Testament, we see this model for evangelists:

1. Called to evangelism and so gifted by the Holy Spirit
2. Thoroughly trained in the gospel by teachers in the Church
3. Commissioned to an evangelistic mission by a congregation
4. Accountable to that congregtion for the execution of that mission

If you are actually an evangelist, the Holy Spirit will tell you where to go, who to speak to, and how to speak to them. If you listen to Him.

Evangelism is not the same thing as "witnessing." The difference is this:

Evangelism is telling people what Jesus did for them.
Witnessing is telling people what Jesus did for you.

Take for example Jesus speaking to the Samaritan woman at the well. Jesus evangelized her; the woman then witnessed.

Every Christian should have a witness. Ponder what Jesus has done for you. Think about it, clarify it in your own mind, and develop a narrative so that you can tell others. Check out the 3:15 Project for examples and inspiration.

With regard to "conviction of sins," that's the role of the Holy Spirit (John 16:8).

You can almost never convict anyone of his sins, except with explicit words from the Holy Spirit designed for that individual.

That's because you don't really know what I call the "convicting sin" is for any given person. Oh, you may know of some particular sin that person is committing, but you don't know the particular sin the Holy Spirit is actually prying loose within them.

So by harping on the wrong sin and antagonizing the person on something they don't (yet) think is a problem, you're not helping--you're hindering the process.

Personal testimony includes what others see in your life.

I note that the Greek martus, from which we get "martyr" and actually means "one who bears witness unto death." The Greeks believed you couldn't validly assert the character of a person until the person was dead--then you could properly judge character by how the entire life had been lived.

While we may not wait until we're dead to testify what Jesus has done for us, our lives should show it.

It's kind of like giving a testimonial for a product. People need to see you actually using it to believe you when you say it's great.

My opinion is that apologetics is most useful for believers who are trying to figure it out.

I think Paul attempted it, but then abandoned it, from what he said about the inability of Greek reasoning to grasp the gospel.

of course,

you have to adorn the gospel in your life as well as speak it from your mouth.

no one is going to come to faith based on evidence. evidence isn't the issue. a lack of faith is. someone coming to faith based on evidence means they put God under their judgement and this will change if they get new evidence. that's not a renewing of your mind. that's not a new creation.

It is often the case with Atheists that they at one point were bought up in church, or had a church back ground. They are usually in my opinion the hardest group to convert due to their past choices to ignore the message of Christ. However this is not always the case. I know of atheists that have converted to Christ.

Personally I don't know what the best method is to convert an atheist. Pray, study the case for Christ, just share your own testimony.

That is an important point. The Lord never worries about the numbers.

Mod Hat

Staff reviewed the thread and decided on a cleaning. Multiple trolling and off-topic posts have been deleted.

Carry on.

/Mod Hat

Are not most all of all 'religious'/'Christian' forums debates with non-believers?
True, most threads never result in anyone's conversion nor salvation.....
(have only seen one person's mind changed / ('saved')/ in over ten years, and that because they saw all the arguing amongst /about a group/ and went and searched for themselves to find the truth and found it! (they had not realized it in all their years until they saw first hand the members of the group arguing so vehemently trying to defend their indefensible 'religion')

Any atheist might likewise realize with so many different arguing points and opposing views online, that they are going to have to search for the truth themselves, personally, if they hope to ever find it.

If an atheist ever then does search for truth, and keeps searching, they find it!!!! (just not on forums, but in Scripture/ "in Spirit and in Truth")

Thank you. I meant how do i bring an athiest to Christ. Not convert. Sorry about that

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,073,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
My question is, what are they doing in a Church? Trying to stir up trouble? Just there for the social life, doughnuts and coffee or to make business ties?

My dear, you can't convert anyone. You shouldn't even try, because you can't. Only the Holy Spirit can do that. In fact, the Savior said NOT to give what is holy to the dogs and NOT to cast your pearls to the swine. Now if HE guides you, go for it. But to tell you the truth, the fact that you think you can convert anyone is a strong indicator that you, yourself, need to get a good understanding of how things work spiritually. Some long term, intense, study of the Bible might be good.

Also, if your Church seems indifferent to having atheists, then I'd say that's a big red flag. Now, if they have some kind of ministry to them, maybe okay. Otherwise, no.

Upvote 0