Hastings, Hastings
✟10,419.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From early 2018 until now I backslid, became lukewarm and no longer hate sin, I no longer grieve my sin and often find the scriptures are empty and do not incite awe of God or prayer

during my rebellion I lost my health and my close fellowship with God and I don't know how to get back to loving him and desiring the kingdom above all else, I force myself to read my bible, get frustrated by my lack of interest and throw it into the cupboard, my prayer life is forced, and my peace and joy is lacking, I regularly watch inappropriate content and touch, I lie, steal and mistreat others without remorse

there is a scripture which I feel contains Gods advice on repentance

2 chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

but how do I humble myself? how do I seek his face? how do I turn from my wicked ways, when turning comes as a result of knowing his love, but knowing his love requires you to turn from evil? its a catch 22 it seems, where do I start?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: NBB
Upvote 0

BenCollyer91

Aug 13, 2021
Hastings, Hastings
✟10,419.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it's time to look for a different church.

I would recommend these UK churches,
(Links above are locators.)

I may be tempted to look for a smaller more bible focused church such as calvary chapel, my current congregation is a large one and is focused on welcoming seekers rather than sharpening disciples

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your sins are what is separating you from God. God is right where you left Him, but you have walked off into the wilderness and looked around, then asked yourself; "Where is God?" The correct question for you to ask is, "Where have I ended up"?
You appear not to be willing to repent of sins, so why should God begin to believe your sincerity?

Read Psalm 51 and meditate on the passages.

• Agree
Reactions: Lawrence Paul
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
From early 2018 until now I backslid, became lukewarm and no longer hate sin, I no longer grieve my sin and often find the scriptures are empty and do not incite awe of God or prayer

during my rebellion I lost my health and my close fellowship with God and I don't know how to get back to loving him and desiring the kingdom above all else, I force myself to read my bible, get frustrated by my lack of interest and throw it into the cupboard, my prayer life is forced, and my peace and joy is lacking, I regularly watch inappropriate content and touch, I lie, steal and mistreat others without remorse

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

but how do I humble myself? how do I seek his face? how do I turn from my wicked ways, when turning comes as a result of knowing his love, but knowing his love requires you to turn from evil? its a catch 22 it seems, where do I start?
Two verses spring to mind:

James 4:8 - "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and make your hearts pure, you double-minded."

1 John 1:9 - "But if we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous, forgiving us our sins and cleansing us from all unrighteousness."

I have found that no matter how far away from God I feel, whenever I turn around to seek him, he is there waiting for me. He is quick to forgive us if we repent.

Upvote 0

BenCollyer91

Aug 13, 2021
Hastings, Hastings
✟10,419.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Two verses spring to mind:

James 4:8 - "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and make your hearts pure, you double-minded."

1 John 1:9 - "But if we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous, forgiving us our sins and cleansing us from all unrighteousness."

I have found that no matter how far away from God I feel, whenever I turn around to seek him, he is there waiting for me. He is quick to forgive us if we repent.

how does one draw near to God? practically speaking

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have been yes but the fellowship and sermons are as dry as every other aspect of my spiritual life

It is important not to mistake the feeling of spiritual dryness for God being distant from you. Many great saints in history have gone through similar periods of spiritual dryness - most recently and notably, Mother Theresa of Calcutta. Despite her years of faithfulness and dedication, she said she suffered though a spiritual dryness. Even Jesus, while hanging on the cross, cried out "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Periods of spiritual highs and sensation of closeness to God is very good when it happens, but it only happens when God wills it, not when we will it. God gives us what we need, not what we think we need. So don't worry about it if you don't feel that spiritual high that you once felt. God gave you those feelings at that time, and perhaps now he has taken them away. It does not mean He is displeased with you. The devil wants you to think that so you will give up and resign yourself to walking away from God. God is very near to you, even when you don't think is near. Just have faith and ask God to show you the way back to him. It may be shorter than you think.

Upvote 0

BenCollyer91

Aug 13, 2021
Hastings, Hastings
✟10,419.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is important not to mistake the feeling of spiritual dryness for God being distant from you. Many great saints in history have gone through similar periods of spiritual dryness - most recently and notably, Mother Theresa of Calcutta. Despite her years of faithfulness and dedication, she said she suffered though a spiritual dryness. Even Jesus, while hanging on the cross, cried out "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Periods of spiritual highs and sensation of closeness to God is very good when it happens, but it only happens when God wills it, not when we will it. God gives us what we need, not what we think we need. So don't worry about it if you don't feel that spiritual high that you once felt. God gave you those feelings at that time, and perhaps now he has taken them away. It does not mean He is displeased with you. The devil wants you to think that so you will give up and resign yourself to walking away from God. God is very near to you, even when you don't think is near. Just have faith and ask God to show you the way back to him. It may be shorter than you think.

its problematic for me as i have alot of mental health issues, and so the peace and joy of God I NEED it more than most, so these dry seasons are terrible for me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
how does one draw near to God? practically speaking
The same way you draw near to anyone - you spend time with them. Listen to them, do the things that they desire and bring them into the things that you desire (and this is how we avoid sin - because if God is with us then we won't want to sin).

If your relationship with God is dry, then try something different - different Bible or listen to the Bible (audio book) or watch uplifting teaching from good teachers or determine to study a particular book from beginning to end (Paul's letters are good for this).

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,908.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Read the bible, pray to get help to quit sins and get closer to God, but like sabertooth said go to a 'spirit-filled' church, Its a lot different when in every meeting you can really tell God is present. No 'dry' stuff like you mentioned. (but beware of the fake ones, sadly i think there is lots of people trying only to get money from you saying God do miracles through them).

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Beloved one, you ask how do I humble myself. This is what we have heard what David did:

I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD," and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah -Psalms 32:5

Beloved one, daily acknowledge your sin to God, don’t cover your iniquity and confess your transgressions to the Lord Jesus Christ. And trust that He forgives the iniquity of your sin.

How do you know that you have been forgiven? This is what we have heard:

For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, -Matthew 6:14
but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. -Matthew 6:15

So beloved one, have you daily released forgiveness to anyone who wronged you?

I understand that you said that you have a lot
of mental health issues. Beloved one, humble yourself at every moment that your mind set on the things that are not of God. Yes, begin again by acknowledging your sin, don’t cover any iniquity whether it is on your mind, and confess your offenses to the Lord, and keep trusting every time that you have confessed your sins that you are forgiven. Comfirm that by releasing forgiveness to anyone who mistreated you. Believe that you have met the condition that Jesus said Himself in Matthew 6:14.

Beloved one, every time you have disturbing thoughts that you know that didn’t align with God’s words, trust in the Lord’s grace of repentance. Confess your offense again, and believe that God forgive you. Then release again forgiveness to anyone who wronged you. You need to do this cycle, to reassure yourself and calm yourself down so that you are strengthen to believe what God has said in Psalms 32:5 and Matthew 6:14

Also, pray this:

Lord Jesus Christ, my Shepherd.
I bless the circumstances that bring grief and sorrow into my heart. I bless it. I receive the peace of Jesus Christ and the inheritance blessings— that is coming to me; from blessing it.
Amen.

This is also a prayer you can use for confessing your sin:

Lord Jesus Christ,
I seek while You may be found.
I call You while You are near.
Grant me the strength to renounce my wicked ways and unrighteous thoughts.
I come to You. Have mercy on me.
I come to You, You abundantly pardon me.
I acknowledge my sin. I don’t cover my iniquity.
I confess my offense, that is, ……..
You forgive the guilt of my sin. Amen

For releasing forgiveness to others, you use this prayer :

Lord Jesus,
I bless the person who accuse me, hurt me, disappoint me, upset me, mistreat me, resent me, reject me, abandon me, distort what I said.

I may have been accused, hurt, disappointed, upset, mistreated,hated, and rejected, abandoned.

but now I release forgiveness to those who hurt me, disappoint me, upset me, mistreat me, resent me,reject me, abandoned me, and
distort what I said.

I bless the persons who accuse, hurt, disappointed, upset, mistreated,hated, rejected me, abandoned me, and distort what I said.

I thank you Father in Heaven.
When I bless them, I got blessings coming my way.
I am inheriting blessings today or tonight.
Amen.

This is how you humble yourself and make peace with God.

May God’s grace be with you. Amen

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

One way I think that will help is going out and helping others. I believe this is doing as Christ said for how we can know the kingdom of heaven as with the Godd Samaritan parable. I think there is a spirituality about helping others which brings you closer to God.

Find a cause, it doesnt have to be a religious one but one you have an interest in or can relate to. Perhaps a soup kitchen, visiting sick kids in hospital or volunteering for your local church or community centre in some capacity that helps the needy.

I think its also important to find someone/others to talk to and get support and advice. Don't become isolated as that can cause you to distort things and become disheartened.

Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

Lawrence Paul

Aug 25, 2021
Accra
✟8,564.00
Country
Ghana
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
All you need is the grace of God my dear. Grace simply means; Holy Spirit is involved. When grace is at work, you do natural things supernaturally and you do supernatural things naturally. Don't fight it by your own strength. By strength shall no man prevailed. Only rely on the grace of Yahweh and will easily be free.
You're on my prayer list from today. Shalom!
for one on one chat, please reach me on... (paullawrenceham1@gmail.com)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Christ addresses this at length. The answer is perseverance. I can see that you are doing just this. The thing is to keep pressing on. Even when it feels like nothing more than an intellectual exercise. You do this knowing that this is just a season. It's temporary cloud cover. Eventually the sun will turn the sky into white fire and the cloud will melt away. This is how you can exercise faith in your condition.

The other key thing is avoiding sin. Of course you can't be perfect, but inappropriate contentography is pretty devastating spiritually as are the other sins you mentioned. These sins widen the separation, making you hostile to God. These things hijack your desire so that your natural inclinations draw you away from God.

Hebrews 11:6 For he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I may be tempted to look for a smaller more bible focused church such as calvary chapel, my current congregation is a large one and is focused on welcoming seekers rather than sharpening disciples

Do they have a smaller bible study groups that meet and share regularly? A large congregation of immature believers doesn't sound healthy.

Speaking from my own experience, I tend to backslide if I don't have a group of fellow believers (preferrably with at least one member who is more spiritually mature) to whom I can confess my sins and be accountable to, and for whom I can help encourage and pray. It's far too easy to forget and then to make excuses when I stop praying or reading the Bible or fall into sin without anyone giving reminders.

On the more positive side, it's also easier to find nourishment and enjoyment from the sermons and Scripture reading when you can discuss them in a more personal context, and be shaped by it.

I think this process is also a part of humbling yourself before God: to allow yourself to rely on and be taught by other people who are just as sinful as (if not more than) you are. It speaks of our pride and self-righteousness if we even dare think that God alone has the right to rebuke and correct us, and that He should do so directly without using His "lowly" instruments.

I hope that you can find those people, whether in your current congregation, or at a different church.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

Hi Bro

Trust me, I have been there for a *long* time. I take things step by step, and He continues to lead me. For a long time, I'd ready the Bible, pray for guidance, but I felt like I got no closer to God. It was so frustrating, until one day.

I started reading up on the Holy Spirit in our walk. And He is the key. Without His lead, we are still lost. So, I started asking Him directly, out loud, to lead me in His will, to shape and change me, and verbally declared my submission to Him. I did this every day, and more and more, things changed. He ministered to me, with love and clarity. He showed me what to focus on and what to disregard.

Just continue to do that. You'll never be the same again.

Upvote 0