United States
✟16,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I just joined today and in browsing around the site, I came across the "How do I become a Christian?" page. I am concerned after seeing the classic verse from Revelation that is so often used improperly and out of context.

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." --Revelation 3:20 (NIV)

That verse is taken from a letter to a church and has absolutely nothing to do with salvation. Rather, this passage from Luke gives a much more accurate picture of salvation:

“Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open for us,’ and He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know you, where you are from...’ ” (Luke 13:24-25)

Our God is a powerful God, not a weak beggar. God closed the door of the ark as a picture of how He works in salvation, and we also have this explanation from Jesus recorded by Luke.

Reactions: dms1972

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The passage from the Apocalypse isn't about salvation, that's a misnomer. Jesus is there talking to established Christians. He stands at the door and knocks because He wants back into their assembly. The church in Laodicea had become stagnant, their love had grown cold, and so Jesus says even in spite of these things He is there, He's never left them, and He will enter in and sup with them if they just don't keep the door shut on Him.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Kevin1985
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe learn about what others believe before talking about what others believe?

-CryptoLutheran

I didn't make a statement about any belief ... because the article appears under the help tab .... the content thereunder is controlled by somebody other than regular members. Usually it's the system administrator of the site that controls the information listed under tabs ... and also I said likely

This is where the article appears

Help | Christian Forums

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I didn't make a statement about any belief ... because the article appears under the help tab .... the content thereunder is controlled by somebody other than regular members. Usually it's the system administrator of the site that controls the information listed under tabs ... and also I said likely

This is where the article appears

Help | Christian Forums

Definitely looking at the "How do I become a Christian" section is clear that it doesn't reflect Catholic teaching. It is basically a rehash of the popular 20th century tract from Bill Bright (founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, an American Evangelical organization) known as the Four Spiritual Laws. Back in my day (and I suspect still today) this was one of the standard tracts to try and convince people to make a "personal decision" to follow Jesus aka "make Jesus one's personal Lord and Savior"--concepts foreign from historic Christian thinking which places emphasis on God's means of grace, His Word and Sacraments; rather than on personal, individual human decision.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open for us,’ and He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know you, where you are from...’ ” (Luke 13:24-25)

Christ tell the Jews to “strive to enter”, so how could the striving requirement not produce something good?

Can a person not “strive” and be dragged in?

The reason Christ gave for striving was: “because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.” So, who are these many and how did they try to enter? “Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’ The Jews can say this, but it does not matter when it comes to salvation if you are a Jew or not which Jesus goes on the explain. These are not good Jews, but “all you evildoers”.

“People will come from east and west and north and south and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God. “

We need to go back to the feast parables and see God did invite and even compel some to come but they give weak excuses. The door will eventually be closed to all those who had full opportunity to accept God’s pure charity and refused. Every knee will bow, but that is after they refused, and it is too late then.

Our God is a powerful God, not a weak beggar. God closed the door of the ark as a picture of how He works in salvation, and we also have this explanation from Jesus recorded by Luke.
The Master compelled the homeless on the street to come to the banquet.
The father in the prodigal son story (represent God) begged the older son to join the banquet?
God is not above anything including the giving of his own son in doing everything to help willing individuals accept His pure charity.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The passage from the Apocalypse isn't about salvation, that's a misnomer. Jesus is there talking to established Christians. He stands at the door and knocks because He wants back into their assembly. The church in Laodicea had become stagnant, their love had grown cold, and so Jesus says even in spite of these things He is there, He's never left them, and He will enter in and sup with them if they just don't keep the door shut on Him.

-CryptoLutheran
I just joined today and in browsing around the site, I came across the "How do I become a Christian?" page. I am concerned after seeing the classic verse from Revelation that is so often used improperly and out of context.

That verse is taken from a letter to a church and has absolutely nothing to do with salvation. Rather, this passage from Luke gives a much more accurate picture of salvation:

Both -- "seek the Lord while He is near." Or as we all need, both the seeker, and those already inside:
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 7:7-12 - New International Version

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seeking the things of God requires faith, the gift of faith which comes solely by the grace of God. One can't arbitrarily take passages out of context to make them say something they don't say or mean.

-CryptoLutheran
Amen. Couldn't have said it better.
Isaiah 55:6 Seek the LORD while He may be found; call on Him while He is near.

It's to both those already knowing Him, and those not yet consciously aware. You can reword any way you like, so many ways.

Matthew 7:7 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Matthew 7:8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

Two of the most powerful chapters in the Bible are Isaiah 55 and Mathew 7. Once you've read through The Gospel of Mathew fully several times, chapter 7 is even more powerful to read again, having all of Mathew in mind to help.

If you haven't read through Isaiah chapter 55 yet fully, as a whole, you'll be so delighted when you do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums