How Do I Advice Someone Who Thinks Whatever You Pray To, Answers?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,834.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A friend of mine thinks God doesn't really exists but whatever you strongly believe in, worship and pray to, even if its a pen. Will somehow hear you and grant your request.

How to I make I see that she's obviously wrong?

I believe she is partly right. If you make an idol that you start to worship, demons might answer you. It's just hard to prove to someone that doesn't believe God exists that He does. There are good arguments for God, like the moral argument. In the end conviction is by the Holy Spirit. All you can do is be sincere with your belief in God to your friend, and praying for her. If she sees God's light in you, she might change her view.

• Friendly
Reactions: Psyco
Upvote 0

Psyco

Jan 29, 2021
Javino
✟14,013.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe she is partly right. If you make an idol that you start to worship, demons might answer you. It's just hard to prove to someone that doesn't believe God exists that He does. There are good arguments for God, like the moral argument. In the end conviction is by the Holy Spirit. All you can do is be sincere with your belief in God to your friend, and praying for her. If she sees God's light in you, she may change her view.

I pray she does. Sometimes I feel very uncomfortable knowing that she might miss heaven if she perishes in her current state.

• Friendly
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A friend of mine thinks God doesn't really exists but whatever you strongly believe in, worship and pray to, even if its a pen. Will somehow hear you and grant your request.

Point out the wrath of God in the OT for idol worshippers. This is idol worship.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God does answer prayers; but He wants to do more than only answer our prayers; He wants to adopt any person to become a child of God > this comes through Jesus on the cross and trusting Jesus for salvation.

Plus, He evaluates what is good for us; He does not only grant us things we want, but He can bring her to better than all she can want.
even if its a pen.
A pen can't love her!

If she is trying to use prayer to use things, using is not loving. She can miss out on real loving, if she only tries to use prayer to use things . . . or even just to use God. Jesus wants us to love God and one another as family, and reach with care for any and all people.

But selfish love can have us merely picking and choosing who we hope to use and possess.

Jesus says, "if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" in Matthew 5:46.

So, yes be her good example while we pray for her.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,834.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I pray she does. Sometimes I feel very uncomfortable knowing that she might miss heaven if she perishes in her current state.

We all do! We have families and friends and loved ones that don't know Jesus yet.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Welcome! Show your friend your God by the wonderful works He has done for all of us. That being said, Athiest 's have a very hardened heart and need much convincing. Pray that the stronghold is released. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Prayer is the means by which we approach God. How does Jesus say we should do it?

Jesus tells us how we should pray .... we are to pray to our Father in heaven .... His will be done .... not ours. Objects have no spiritual powers.

"The Lord's Prayer."

Keep pointing her to Jesus.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus drew people to himself, He didn't condemn even though He knew they were sinners. He drew in love and in truth. Your friend doesn't have the truth. Jesus is gone from earth, it is we who carry on His work now as His body, we have His spirit in us. Display that, display His truth and love. Let her find that truth and she will learn her ways are not right with God as she gains in truth you may then be able to show her little by little falsehood she lives in.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A friend of mine thinks God doesn't really exists
I would concentrate on the scientific evidence for a creator.
What caused everything to begin?
The complexity of creationt?
Irriducable complexity?
Moralityetc etc etc.

Challenge her, she can belief what she likes, so long as she has a rational explanation for creation.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Others have touched on it, but I too would say that it is probably necessary to go back to the beginning as it were and confront her (somehow)with such concepts as "Where did we come from?" Then build from there, if she is willing.

It's nearly impossible to succeed by going straight at the beliefs of someone whose spiritual orientation is animism or any other nature religion.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟151,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith can have a placebo effect.
Matt. 13:58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

The power of the placebo effect - Harvard Health

Your mind can be a powerful healing tool when given the chance. The idea that your brain can convince your body a fake treatment is the real thing — the so-called placebo effect — and thus stimulate healing has been around for millennia. Now science has found that under the right circumstances, a placebo can be just as effective as traditional treatments.

"The placebo effect is more than positive thinking — believing a treatment or procedure will work. It's about creating a stronger connection between the brain and body and how they work together," says Professor Ted Kaptchuk of Harvard-affiliated Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, whose research focuses on the placebo effect.

Placebos won't lower your cholesterol or shrink a tumor. Instead, placebos work on symptoms modulated by the brain, like the perception of pain. "Placebos may make you feel better, but they will not cure you," says Kaptchuk. "They have been shown to be most effective for conditions like pain management, stress-related insomnia, and cancer treatment side effects like fatigue and nausea."

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Let's look at a case study:

Islam vs Christianity.

Islam Contains the following teachings:

A husband is commanded to beat his wife if he suspects she is doing wrong (see quote from Quran):

Qur'an 4:34 Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme

Islam and Mohammad were cruel and show little mercy:

...they reverted to disbelief after their conversion to Islam, killed the shepherd and drove away the camels. When this news reached the Prophet he sent in their pursuit (and they were caught and brought). The Prophet ordered that their eyes be branded with heated iron bars and their hands be cut off, and they were left at Al−Harra till they died in that state.

Abram, Simon. Islamic Hadith . Kindle Edition.

Compare this to the teachings of Christ:

Jesus told us to love all people even those who are our enemies:

Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Christians are commanded to love their wives, and not be bitter against them:

Col 3:19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.

Now we have two God's, one who is cruel and one who is kind. Would the kind God respond to a prayer to a cruel God, no, he would not respond, for He would be supporting wife beating, and murder.

Only satan would respond, to a prayer to a crule, hurtful god.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums