How do Christians view Hauntings, the Occult and possessions?

Canaan-84

Jun 10, 2008
Houston, Texas
✟15,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was wondering about the different views several Christian denominations have in regards to hauntings, the occult (black magic) and possessions? I'm Roman Catholic and it appears they seem to have more leeway in regards to hauntings and possessions; we even have rituals to rid homes or people of evil spirits, but that doesn't seem to be the case with protestants at least from what I've heard or seen on programs. I don't know if people have ever seen a program on the discovery channel called A Haunting? Apparently these are true stories of haunted homes and when they've aired stories that involve protestants they often end up seeing a spiritual healer or a Catholic priest to rid their homes of the evil because protestant churches don't seem to believe in these occurrences and they merely bless homes to try and calm the families, though in the program a mere blessing rarely works. Is what these programs claim in regards to the protestant position on the issue true? Now as for black magic it seems that all Christian religions don't believe in it, though I'd like to hear more about the issue from other Christians and Catholics here.

Reactions: Sphinx777

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I believe all hauntings are actual manifestations of demons, but I'm sure a lot of hauntings are fictitious. I believe the spirits of people do not linger behind. I know Baptists who have actually encountered embodied and disembodied spirits, and a Baptist Pastor who drove a demon out of a man.

I think occult practices such as seances are actually either fake or if real involve demons. I don't believe we can communicate with the dead.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I believe all hauntings are actual manifestations of demons, but I'm sure a lot of hauntings are fictitious. I believe the spirits of people do not linger behind. I know Baptists who have actually encountered embodied and disembodied spirits, and a Baptist Pastor who drove a demon out of a man.

I think occult practices such as seances are actually either fake or if real involve demons. I don't believe we can communicate with the dead.

we can, it's just a no no.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was wondering about the different views several Christian denominations have in regards to hauntings, the occult (black magic) and possessions? I'm Roman Catholic and it appears they seem to have more leeway in regards to hauntings and possessions; we even have rituals to rid homes or people of evil spirits, but that doesn't seem to be the case with protestants at least from what I've heard or seen on programs. I don't know if people have ever seen a program on the discovery channel called A Haunting? Apparently these are true stories of haunted homes and when they've aired stories that involve protestants they often end up seeing a spiritual healer or a Catholic priest to rid their homes of the evil because protestant churches don't seem to believe in these occurrences and they merely bless homes to try and calm the families, though in the program a mere blessing rarely works. Is what these programs claim in regards to the protestant position on the issue true? Now as for black magic it seems that all Christian religions don't believe in it, though I'd like to hear more about the issue from other Christians and Catholics here.
I'm surprised by your information.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Visitations are not always demonic. God, if it pleases Him and is His will, can allow a passed on soul to vist a loved one or anyone for a specific purpose, IF it's willed by Him. They can't just travel around of their own accord. God must will it and then make it happen.

But I guess that is not what's meant by haunting. That's what I can not say for sure. I guess God could allow a damned soul to vist a person to scare the hell out of them, literally...

But a haunting would be demonic... i suppose, but hey, if it happens, God allows for what ever His reasons are.

The Emily Rose movie comes to mind... we don't believe in God, well I'll show you the devil.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Bible clearly presents any contact with dead people as bad, evil, sinful.

I'll stick with what the Bible says.

yeah, any direct contact we make with them... seance etc...

But we aren't making contact with them if they come to us, are we? We should never ask or seek it- never.

But God can allow a soul who is in heaven or hell even to been seen by one of us if He wills it.

A damned soul indeed can come and warn a person. Look at the bible example of Lazareth and the rich king- (was it?) he asked if he could come and warn his relatives... so please, don't be so quick to disagree just becuase you see a Catholic icon.

There are too many experiences of folks who have been visited and to tell a grieving widow her husband's visit was really a demon, is crazy... however a demon can simulate anyone- so. Point is, being visited is NOT the same as contacting them and making communication. that is wrong, so we agree.

Folks have had dreams where their loved ones warned them or just gave them some comfort.

Our God is good and loving, He does this for us and it's HIM doing it- not us holding some seance- that is what the bible warns us against-- that is crazy wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nope...all bad.
The rich man wanted Lazarus sewnt back, the request was denied. There simply is no biblical basis for thinking contacting the dead is ever a good thing. There is no example of God sending a dead man back to speak to the living.

You're wrong because you're wrong...not just because your rcc. All you have is wishful thinking and opinion that flies in the face of Scripture.

Upvote 0

Canaan-84

Jun 10, 2008
Houston, Texas
✟15,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nope...all bad.
The rich man wanted Lazarus sewnt back, the request was denied. There simply is no biblical basis for thinking contacting the dead is ever a good thing. There is no example of God sending a dead man back to speak to the living.

You're wrong because you're wrong...not just because your rcc. All you have is wishful thinking and opinion that flies in the face of Scripture.

She's not speaking of contacting the dead she's speaking of visitations. As for the dead coming back, didn't Moses and some other prophet appear with Jesus and to the Apostles?

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Nope...all bad.

where was his request denied? You are not interpreting the bible correctly.

and we are not contacting dead people- God can send them to us if it's His desire to.

Good and bad Angles certainly do- show me where God said He will never send a soul to vist a person if it suits Him?

Us going over His head- trying to contact dead people ourselves becuase we are desperate, or curious or trying to manipulate the future, is what is forbidden, not God sending tho to us if He wants to.

God can do what ever he wants and we have testimony of people who this happened to. God cannot forbid Himself to do something.

Upvote 0

Canaan-84

Jun 10, 2008
Houston, Texas
✟15,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
all three are real and they all are demonic....and they can all be faced boldly by the children of God with prayer and the Word.

Do you believe spiritual healers are also demonic? Even if they help people? I know some of these individuals believe their gift comes from God.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
She's not speaking of contacting the dead she's speaking of visitations. As for the dead coming back, didn't Moses and some other prophet appear with Jesus and to the Apostles?

Sure did.

the point is when this happens to any of us, we have to try to discern why? if it is not from the Evil one but from God, what is he trying to tell us.

There's been many visits from the souls in purgatory simply asking for prayers.

One of the Fathers of Mercy I heard speak, told the story of a preist who went out on a hunting trip up north, I think Michigan or somewhere like it, and the actor John Candy visited him... for real.

He said the land the priest was on, was his and it was meant for his retirement, he was to build a dream home there but we all know he died young instead.

He said he was in need of prayers, that he was in purgatory and it was by the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ that he was saved... he said he died unprepared but Jesus spared him becuase of his charitable works toward anyone who needed money or who just needed a friend. Love covers a multitude of sin.

I know Monts totally going to die reading this but it's for you... it's an awesome story. The preist check up on whose property it was and it was John Candy's, the late actor.

Upvote 0