Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Question: "How should a Christian view environmentalism?"

Answer:
There is a difference between the biblical view of the environment and the political movement known as "environmentalism." Understanding this difference will shape a Christian’s view of environmentalism. The Bible is clear that the earth and everything in it was given by God to man to rule over and subdue. "And God blessed them, and God said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth'" (Genesis 1:28).

Because mankind was created in His image, God gave men and women a privileged place among all creatures and commanded them to exercise stewardship over the earth (Genesis 1:26-28; Psalm 8:6-8). Stewardship implies caretaking, not abusing. We are to intelligently manage the resources God has given us, using all diligent care to preserve and protect them. This is seen in the Old Testament where God commanded that the fields and vineyards would be sown and harvested for six years, then left fallow for the seventh year in order to replenish the soil's nutrients, both to rest the land and to ensure continued provision for His people in the future (Exodus 23:10-11; Leviticus 25:1-7).

In addition to our role of caretakers, we are to appreciate the functionality and beauty of the environment. In His incredible grace and power, God has placed on this planet everything needed to feed, clothe, and house the billions of people who have lived on it since the Garden of Eden. All the resources He has provided for our needs are renewable, and He continues to provide the sun and rain necessary to sustain and replenish those resources. And, as if this were not enough, He has also decorated the planet in glorious color and scenic beauty to appeal to our aesthetic sense and thrill our souls with wonder. There are countless varieties of flowers, exotic birds, and other lovely manifestations of His grace to us.

At the same time, the earth we inhabit is not a permanent planet, nor was it ever intended to be. The environmental movement is consumed with trying to preserve the planet forever, and we know this is not God's plan. He tells us in 2 Peter 3:10 that at the end of the age, the earth and all He has created will be destroyed: "But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up" (NKJV). The physical, natural earth in its present form, with its entire universe will be consumed, and God will create a "new heaven and a new earth" (2 Peter 3:13; Revelation 21:1).

So we see that, rather than trying to preserve the earth for thousands or even millions of years to come, we are to be good stewards of it for as long as it lasts, which will be as long as it serves God's sovereign plan and purpose.

www.gotquestions.org/environmentalism-Christian.html

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Question: "How should a Christian view environmentalism?"

Answer:
There is a difference between the biblical view of the environment and the political movement known as "environmentalism." Understanding this difference will shape a Christian’s view of environmentalism. The Bible is clear that the earth and everything in it was given by God to man to rule over and subdue. "And God blessed them, and God said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth'" (Genesis 1:28).

Because mankind was created in His image, God gave men and women a privileged place among all creatures and commanded them to exercise stewardship over the earth (Genesis 1:26-28; Psalm 8:6-8). Stewardship implies caretaking, not abusing. We are to intelligently manage the resources God has given us, using all diligent care to preserve and protect them. This is seen in the Old Testament where God commanded that the fields and vineyards would be sown and harvested for six years, then left fallow for the seventh year in order to replenish the soil's nutrients, both to rest the land and to ensure continued provision for His people in the future (Exodus 23:10-11; Leviticus 25:1-7).

In addition to our role of caretakers, we are to appreciate the functionality and beauty of the environment. In His incredible grace and power, God has placed on this planet everything needed to feed, clothe, and house the billions of people who have lived on it since the Garden of Eden. All the resources He has provided for our needs are renewable, and He continues to provide the sun and rain necessary to sustain and replenish those resources. And, as if this were not enough, He has also decorated the planet in glorious color and scenic beauty to appeal to our aesthetic sense and thrill our souls with wonder. There are countless varieties of flowers, exotic birds, and other lovely manifestations of His grace to us.

At the same time, the earth we inhabit is not a permanent planet, nor was it ever intended to be. The environmental movement is consumed with trying to preserve the planet forever, and we know this is not God's plan. He tells us in 2 Peter 3:10 that at the end of the age, the earth and all He has created will be destroyed: "But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up" (NKJV). The physical, natural earth in its present form, with its entire universe will be consumed, and God will create a "new heaven and a new earth" (2 Peter 3:13; Revelation 21:1).

So we see that, rather than trying to preserve the earth for thousands or even millions of years to come, we are to be good stewards of it for as long as it lasts, which will be as long as it serves God's sovereign plan and purpose.

www.gotquestions.org/environmentalism-Christian.html

Thank you that was a great laydown.

Upvote 0

FrankDux

Dec 12, 2016
USA
✟14,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Personally speaking, as a person who lives a minimalist lifestyle, I find it heartbreaking to see how little people seem to care

I have walked everywhere, my entire life

No car, by choice

Most people would practically drive to the kitchen to make a sandwich, they are lazy beyond belief

I walk down the road and breath your car exhaust while you throw cigarette butts and fast food wrappers out your windows

I eat one meal a day, have for years, mainly because eating three times a day is not something healthy, or smart, but also because maybe by my efforts, somebody else may not go hungry

America tosses almost 40% of the food it produces and imports, right into the garbage, and that makes the pollution it creates getting from point A to B, even worse

Essentially we are polluting ourselves to haul / transport something that goes right into the garbage

I could go on, but what's the point ?

• Prayers
Reactions: peter2
Upvote 0

peter2

Ordinary life contemplative
Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Does this mean destruction should happen through men?

The destruction of the heavens and the earth, in the referenced verses, are obviously God's doing and nowhere in my post did I advocate otherwise.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mainly doubts, but I' m glad that you understood thé scriptures like me.: He didn't say:you shall destroy the planet.
You are right.

However it seems the implication is pollution somehow has to do with Christians.

Industrialization is the creation of fallen mankind. God gave us farms and simple living.

Bottom line, as Christians we are pilgrims living in an unholy society.

Maybe we should all sell our computers, devices and other modern technology and move to Pennsylvania Dutch country and live as Amish.

I have left several messages on the Amish forum here at CF but none have been answered. How rude.

Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The destruction of the heavens and the earth, in the referenced verses, are obviously God's doing and nowhere in my post did I advocate otherwise.
I must apologize, for actually, I was a bit suspicious a bout your post. Please forgive me. The question remains as for our responsabilities: Do we ,Christians, have to promote counterexample of our still unilaterally industrial world, so as to distinguish ourselves from dominant consumérisme?

Maybe we should all sell our computers, devices and other modern technology and move to Pennsylvania Dutch country and live as Amish.
Without such à severing from society,and starting from our consumerist background, isn't thére à christian behaviour that would join thé Amish one? For instance, making computer work through cycling and generate electricity. It would provide work to many jobless

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I must apologize, for actually, I was a bit suspicious a bout your post. Please forgive me. The question remains as for our responsabilities: Do we ,Christians, have to promote counterexample of our still unilaterally industrial world, so as to distinguish ourselves from dominant consumérisme?

No apology necessary. With online discussions, it's not easy to discern the tone in which someone is speaking. As to your question, there are many facets to that issue and I don't have a concrete answer for you, other than following Romans 14:23, where it says, "...whatever is not from faith is sin," meaning, whatever one does, without a full persuasion of its lawfulness, is sin to that person; for they do it under a conviction that they may be wrong in so doing.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Without such à severing from society,and starting from our consumerist background, isn't thére à christian behaviour that would join thé Amish one? For instance, making computer work through cycling and generate electricity. It would provide work to many jobless
All for that. We can do a lot of things smarter IMO.

• Haha
Upvote 0

more4less

Nov 23, 2016
Houston Tx
✟29,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jésus told it was possible to recognize a tree by recognizing its fruits.
What about pollution and industrialization?
It was the previous administrations that has been allowing corporations to do what they pleased to do if they buy one of their books for millions of dollars. President Trump at the moment, that he has to reopen up the coal mines until the country can afford to go 100% green. For now, coal put out less pollution than what an active volcano puts out. These past administrations has been robbing the system. They has been only putting their kinds of people into high positions in order for them to have rob from the system so openly. They have been controlling the media by not airing certain stories. Like this story that nobody has not heard of.

So give POTUS time to drain the swamp and get things back in order.

Upvote 0

Copperhead

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
✟208,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I take the position that one of the greatest commandments is that we have care for our neighbor as ourselves. To that end, wanton pollution can be a major negative in that regard. On the other hand, using environmentalism to restrict the lifestyle and income of others is also a negative and lacking in concern for others. Balance that with the planet is so well designed that it has an amazing ability to clean itself up from polluting activities.

And a balanced view must be taken. The planet itself generates the most pollution as it pertains to greenhouse gas emissions. Mankind's contribution, worldwide, is in the low single digits percentage. And if scripture is any indication, in the future, what we worry about now for pollution will pale compared to what will come upon the earth. And our discussions on this now will hardly be remembered, if at all.

While we initially had only farms and simple living, we also had a life expectancy much shorter than now. Industrialization has given us air conditioning and advanced medicine that has made a significant difference in how people live and how long. Horses and carts gave us massive insect problems and disease and pollution of another order. So you see, a balance must be struck and folks sometimes need to step back and take a look at the broad picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

more4less

Nov 23, 2016
Houston Tx
✟29,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I take the position that one of the greatest commandments is that we have care for our neighbor as ourselves. To that end, wanton pollution can be a major negative in that regard. On the other hand, using environmentalism to restrict the lifestyle and income of others is also a negative and lacking in concern for others. Balance that with the planet is so well designed that it has an amazing ability to clean itself up from polluting activities.

And a balanced view must be taken. The planet itself generates the most pollution as it pertains to greenhouse gas emissions. Mankind's contribution, worldwide, is in the low single digits percentage. And if scripture is any indication, in the future, what we worry about now for pollution will pale compared to what will come upon the earth. And our discussions on this now will hardly be remembered, if at all.

While we initially had only farms and simple living, we also had a life expectancy much shorter than now. Industrialization has given us air conditioning and advanced medicine that has made a significant difference in how people live and how long. Horses and carts gave us massive insect problems and disease and pollution of another order. So you see, a balance must be struck and folks sometimes need to step back and take a look at the broad picture.
i1a25e.jpg

The gases which the plants produces is called Greenhouse gases. And without these gases, that the earth will become a dry desert land. Because corporations had created plants that produces less greenhouse gases that it is trying to market it, and making it mandatory that all farmers of the world must use these seeds in order to fight the greenhouse gases problem that we has. And these corporations has paid politicians and MSM to push this phony story about the sky is falling. They are using this scare-rhetoric, in order to convince the people that greenhouse gases is bad, and that corporations are good like gods.

Physiological Tweak to Rice Plants Cuts Greenhouse-Gas Emissions

Microalgae are essential ecosystem regulators. They provide more than half of the oxygen in our atmosphere and are the base of aquatic food chains. Microalgae reproduce rapidly and are capable of horizontal gene transfer, meaning that engineered traits can quickly spread, even to unrelated species. There is concern that engineered traits may not remain stable over time. All of these characteristics suggest introduced genes could spread rapidly out of control and change over time in unpredictable ways. In addition, microalgae have produced toxic algae blooms and GE microalgae may be more harmful and difficult to control. Field Test of GMO Algae Sparks Outrage | Food Democracy Now

Upvote 0