Visit site
✟29,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
admitted it. I don't understand God and the bible. I don't feel God around me and don't have a relationship with him. But I want one. Where can I start when it comes to God and his word?

God made us all a promise. We will find Him when we seek Him with all of our heart. Jesus, the Jewish Messiah, paid the sin debt that you owe so that you can approach the Father through Him. Free gift, but you must be honest, repent of your sins, and ask the Father to save you because of His Son, Jesus. Then tell someone else what happened to you.

Church not needed, and could serve to be a hinderance.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In forming relationships, we get to know them. As believers, we can be in constant contact with the Lord. Ramp up reading and studying the Bible including God's names, titles, and attributes. (Personally prefer selecting online sites that include the Scriptural bases that can be checked for accuracy). We can pray about anyone, anything, anytime. Then what a privilege we have to spend time praising and worshiping the Lord - an audience of One. That's one to one. Thank Him for who He is to you.

Also, find it helpful to read different versions so prefer using the AMPC, Darby, and TPT as well as the KJV. Additionally, recommend listening to Dr Robert Morris. Any of his teachings are Biblically based. The Gateway church online has numerous sermons available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟96,201.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
admitted it. I don't understand God and the bible. I don't feel God around me and don't have a relationship with him. But I want one. Where can I start when it comes to God and his word?

The only way to understand God is by getting to know him in the person of Jesus. If you want to know God go to a quiet place by yourself and read his Gospels starting at Matthew and continue to read Mark, Luke and John. Just read his Gospels with an open heart and let God speak to your heart and reveal himself to you through his word which is Christ Jesus. For it is the Gospels that the righteousness of God is revealed through his son Christ Jesus and it is through faith in Jesus that you are saved. You are not saved by anything you do, but by the spirit & power of God who gives you the faith to believe in his son Christ Jesus who through his sacrifice you are forgiven and made anew in his likeness.

Please read his Gospels and open your heart to his voice and he will guide you to his son Christ Jesus where you can be born again into to a new spiritual person and begin your journey. For direction pray to God.

If you haven't got the Gospels you can go to a Christian bookstore or order online and ask for an easy to understand version like NIV or even The Good News Bible with large print.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.
Romans 1:16

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟96,201.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I copied & pasted the following from GotQuestions:

Why should I become a Christian?

Jesus Christ declared that He “did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45). The question then arises – why did we need to be ransomed? The idea of a ransom is a payment that must be made in exchange for the release of a person. The idea of a ransom is most frequently used in instances of kidnapping, when someone is kidnapped and held prisoner until a ransom is paid for the person’s release.

Jesus paid our ransom to free us from bondage! Bondage from what? Bondage to sin and its consequences, physical death followed by eternal separation from God. Why did Jesus need to pay this ransom? Because we are all infected with sin (Romans 3:23), and are therefore worthy of judgment from God (Romans 6:23). How did Jesus pay our ransom? By dying on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins (1 Corinthians 15:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21). How could Jesus’ death sufficiently pay for all of our sins? Jesus was God in human form, God come to earth to become one of us so He could identify with us and die for our sins (John 1:1,14). As God, Jesus’ death was infinite in value, sufficient to pay for the sins of the entire world (1 John 2:2). Jesus’ resurrection after His death demonstrated that His death was the sufficient sacrifice, that He had truly conquered sin and death.

How can I become a Christian?

This is the best part. Because of His love for us, God has made it exceedingly simple to become a Christian. All you have to do is receive Jesus as your Savior, fully accepting His death as the sufficient sacrifice for your sins (John 3:16), fully trusting Him alone as your Savior (John 14:6; Acts 4:12). Becoming a Christian is not all about rituals, going to church, or doing certain things while refraining from other things. Becoming a Christian is all about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. A personal relationship with Jesus Christ, through faith, is what makes a person a Christian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Matthew 7:7-8

The above verses are the very words of Jesus. There is nothing hard in those words to understand.
Just talk to God and say what's on your mind, that you want to know Him and know Him more. Ask and pray to reveal the meanings in the Bible-hidden and not hidden, to give you the wisdom to understand it and to help you see things from His perspective and not your own.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I'd recommend studying His word topically ... thereby you get the broad overview (OT and NT) ... always before opening His word (online or otherwise) ask Him to send the Holy Sprit to help you bring understanding .... don't just read .... meditate on what is being taught.

You have some questions on your mind .... go ask them

here's a resource that might help ... at the top you can change the topic/question

What Does the Bible Say About Understanding?

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

You'll definitely be getting different sorts of answers to this question, but here's my answer:

A relationship with God, first and foremost, isn't about you. That might sound odd, but hear me out. There is a tendency, especially in the modern day, to speak of "having a relationship with God" and then to speak about how we can go about making that happen, how can we get closer to God, what we can do to improve our walk with God. The emphasis is almost always placed on us taking initiative, and then to go up to where God is.

I believe that's completely backward.

We don't go up, we never go up; God comes down, God always comes down.

Consistently throughout the Bible the relationship between God and His people is always by God acting, God speaking, God doing, God coming down to us. No where is this more important and more obvious than in the Incarnation, with Jesus Christ. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God ... and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only-begotten of the Father" (John 1:1, 14) God took on flesh, God became man, God came down to us, was born of the Virgin Mary, grew up, lived, taught, and He was arrested, made to suffer, was crucified, buried, dead, and then rose on the third day.

God comes down.

After the resurrection Jesus ascended into heaven, but He promised we would never be alone. He sent the Holy Spirit (God comes down), He instructed His apostles and Church to go and preach the Gospel and to baptize, and we have God's promise that He is at work through His Word (the preaching of the Gospel) and Sacraments (Baptism and the Lord's Supper, etc) to accomplish His purposes. Again, God comes down.

He comes down to meet you through the preaching of the Gospel.
He comes down to meet you through His word in the Scriptures.
He comes down to meet you through your baptism.
He comes down to meet you in the bread and wine of the Lord's Supper.

So if you want to strengthen the relationship you have with God, then I'd say it's important to learn how it's not about you, but about Him. His love for you, what Christ did for you. It's hearing and believing the good news. We hear and receive that good news wherever He has promised it to be--so we hear the Gospel preached, we hear the Scriptures read, we remember our baptism and what God has promised us there, and we receive the flesh and blood of the Lord Jesus in, with, and under the bread and wine of His Supper.

The Lord said, "My sheep hear My voice", and to hear His voice is to hear His word--His Gospel, which is to you and for you, that He gave Himself for you. He came, suffered, died, and rose for you. His gifts which He freely gives you through His preached Word and His Sacraments are yours. This is the voice of the Good Shepherd to you, His Gospel.

It's not about you coming to God. It's about God coming to you. And He comes to you through what He Himself offers you, freely and abundantly. Hear His voice,

"Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." - Matthew 11:28-30

Wherever the word is preached and the Sacraments administered, there the voice of the Good Shepherd is speaking.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just read the Gospel of John over and over, till it makes sense. (Even 10 minutes a day.) John 1 NIV

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is not about 'feelings' nor beliefs, and to find the relationship with God and thus salvation of your soul for Heaven, one MUST receive God's "...beloved Son: the Lord Jesus Christ into ones heart ---a relationship is needed. See John 14 in your Bible (preferably the KJV Bible) and you will find God speaking to you. Believing in God as our Creator and heavenly Father is essential, but salvation is found only in Jesus the Christ. Read the four Gospels in the Holy Bible, and you will see the truth. Note also Romans 8 for more truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brenda Blakely

Apr 26, 2019
Portland
✟29,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really like your handle and I think that says it all. In most relationships you get out of it what you put in it, but in seeking God, God has already done the work to have a relationship with you and I know that He is delighted that you are responding to His call to come. He will teach you, He will comfort you, most of all He already loves you. You rec’d some wonderful responses and they are all true. When you read His Word, the Bible, He will speak to you, just keep on reading and listening; He promises that He will respond. It may take a little while but soon you will know His voice. For me it is a quiet voice from within. When you pray He hears you.

I suggest if you haven’t done this already you come to Him confessing that you desire a relationship with Him. Tell HIm that you are ready to have Him work in your life, forgive you of your sins, cleanse you and make you whole again and live within you to guide you. This can be a simple prayer such as this: Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. With Your help Father God, I turn from my sins, accept Your forgiveness and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. I want to be born again and live my life in the fullness of all that You have planned. Amen

In the Bible in John chapter 3 Nicodemus asked Jesus “what must I do?” Jesus answered that “He must be born again.” This means that we are born as humans and we must be born again into the Kingdom of God to experience the fullness of all God has planned for us. In John 3:16, God’s Word tell us that God loves the world and sent Jesus to show us the Way to God. God is there ready for you. Rest in Him and let Him give you all that He has planned for you. I am praying for you. God bless you as you seek Him. He says “seek and you shall find (Matthew 7:7-8).”

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The way to experientially know God or grow in a relationship with Him is through delighting in testifying about His nature. For example, God is righteous, so when we delight in doing what is righteous in obedience to His commands, we are gaining experiential know of who He is and are expressing our love for who He is, which is why there are many verses in the Bible that associate our love for God with our obedience to Him. The Bible often uses the same terms to describe the nature of God as it does to describe the nature of God's law, which is because it is God's instructions for how to testify about His nature, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), or with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the law (Matthew 23:23).

In Jeremiah 9:3 and 9:6, they did not experientially know God and refused to know him because in 9:13, they had forsaken God's law, while in 9:24, those who experientially know God know that he delights in practicing steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in all the earth, so again the way to experientially know God is through delighting in expressing those and other aspects of God's nature through our obedience to His law. In Matthew 19:17, the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commandments, and in John 17:3, eternal life is experientially knowing God and Jesus, so again God's law is the way to do that. In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so again God's law is His instructions for how to experientially know Christ.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am so discourage in learning about God now.

Cheer up - God loves you and has sent an angel specifically to help you full time. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you.

Read this free short online booklet "Steps to Christ" - a devotional that will change your whole life
Steps to Christ, Read On-line

Then keep your eyes fixed on Christ. Read the Gospels - and read this fantastic commentary on the life of Christ - allow Jesus to be your Savior and friend.
Free online reading "Desire of Ages" - a detailed commentary on the life of Christ. (best ever)
The Desire of Ages — Ellen G. White Writings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alex Reynolds

Jan 18, 2021
Winchester
Visit site
✟9,676.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Each day, ask to be shown the heavenly path. When cleaning your house, remove all things ungodly.

When you cast out the demons from your home/life, what will they do? Find seven stronger demons and try to infiltrate/tempt your life astray once more, so be vigilant and strong. Concentrate on where you want to be and cast away the temptations that lead you away.

Connecting to God is not a destination, it is a journey.

A lot of answers here also have some very good points.

Hope my perspective helps.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is certainly not about good works, Luvjesus, but a personal relationship with our Creator-God by receiving His beloved Son ---the Lord Jesus into your heart as your best Friend; and walking and talking with Him daily. As your Savior for Heaven you will be much comforted and assured. He says I will never forsake you (Hebrews 13:5).

Last edited:
Upvote 0