United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even the word “devil” can be translated as “to divide.”

The devil loves chaos. Ever since his fall from Heaven Satan seeks to divide the world. His first action was to divide the angels, which was followed-up by tempting Adam and Eve in the garden, driving a wedge between the first humans and God.

Division is the devil’s playground and it shouldn’t be surprising. The word “devil,” comes from the Greek word diabolos, which can be translated as, “to divide,” “to separate,” or more literally, “to throw against.”

Pope Francis has spoken much about this tactic of the devil, speaking directly about it in an address to participants in a seminar for bishops in mission territories.

Divisions are a handy weapon that the devil uses to destroy the Church from within. He has two weapons, but the main one is division … Please, fight against division, because it is one of the weapons that the devil uses to destroy the local Church and the universal Church. In particular the differences, owing to the various ethnic groups present in the same territory, must not penetrate the Christian communities to the point of prevailing over their good. There are challenges that are difficult to resolve, but with the grace of God, prayer and penance, it can be done. The Church is called to rise above tribal-cultural connotations, and the Bishop, a visible principle of unity, has the task of unceasingly building up the particular Church in the communion of all her members.

Continued below.
How division is a primary tactic of the devil

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even the word “devil” can be translated as “to divide.”

The devil loves chaos. Ever since his fall from Heaven Satan seeks to divide the world. His first action was to divide the angels, which was followed-up by tempting Adam and Eve in the garden, driving a wedge between the first humans and God.

Division is the devil’s playground and it shouldn’t be surprising. The word “devil,” comes from the Greek word diabolos, which can be translated as, “to divide,” “to separate,” or more literally, “to throw against.”

Pope Francis has spoken much about this tactic of the devil, speaking directly about it in an address to participants in a seminar for bishops in mission territories.

Divisions are a handy weapon that the devil uses to destroy the Church from within. He has two weapons, but the main one is division … Please, fight against division, because it is one of the weapons that the devil uses to destroy the local Church and the universal Church. In particular the differences, owing to the various ethnic groups present in the same territory, must not penetrate the Christian communities to the point of prevailing over their good. There are challenges that are difficult to resolve, but with the grace of God, prayer and penance, it can be done. The Church is called to rise above tribal-cultural connotations, and the Bishop, a visible principle of unity, has the task of unceasingly building up the particular Church in the communion of all her members.

Continued below.
How division is a primary tactic of the devil

What do you think of what happened on the grounds of the Vatican last summer?

Is the church (small c) supposed to bring Christ to these communities...or are they supposed to retain their culture and work Christianity into it somehow?

Many of my traditional Catholic friends were very upset over what happened in the gardens of the Vatican.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you think of what happened on the grounds of the Vatican last summer?

Is the church (small c) supposed to bring Christ to these communities...or are they supposed to retain their culture and work Christianity into it somehow?

Many of my traditional Catholic friends were very upset over what happened in the gardens of the Vatican.
I’m not happy with the Vatican right now. They are too complacent with the world and too neglectful of the flock from my standpoint. They operate off the headlines and not much else. Legitimate questions are mostly ignored. I find myself longing for a simpler faith at times but where do you go when you feel the teachings are true? It’s a very strange position to be in as a convert.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DebbieJ

Jun 1, 2020
Italy
✟22,159.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m not happy with the Vatican right now. They are too complacent with the world and too neglectful of the flock from my standpoint. They operate off the headlines and not much else. Legitimate questions are mostly ignored. I find myself longing for a simpler faith at times but where do you go when you feel the teachings are true? It’s a very strange position to be in as a convert.
I find that we need a priest/pastor that we like and can trust. We need both a pastor AND someone we could go to with doctrinal questions. Not all priests agree these days and this has been fostered from the highest places...incl bishops and the Pope.

Just going to Mass and confession doesn't cut it anymore.....

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find that we need a priest/pastor that we like and can trust. We need both a pastor AND someone we could go to with doctrinal questions. Not all priests agree these days and this has been fostered from the highest places...incl bishops and the Pope.

Just going to Mass and confession doesn't cut it anymore.....
Well we have the catechism and sacred Scripture. I’ve never been big on priestly opinions that go against what the Church teaches anyway.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Devil is not in control, the Lord is. When there is division, the Lord allows it for his purpose. The Lord even causes division.

Matthew 10

34 Do not assume that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn ‘A man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.…

The Lord's will be done.
Hi Debbie...
I do believe you've misunderstood Matthew 10:34-35...
I think.

Why would a man be turned against his father?

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I don't know...I asked you HOW a man could be turned against his father.

You didn't reply.

The division comes in our free will to choose.There are two choices to either serve God or serve the evil one. We see the division in our world right now. We saw a cop who should have never been on the force serve evil. We see our politicians serving themselves and pandering to the lowest common denominator. We see our military disobeying lawful orders. We see anarchy in our country and in our church.

to quote Bob Dylan:

You may be an ambassador to England or France
You may like to gamble, you might like to dance
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls
But you're gonna have to serve somebody

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The division comes in our free will to choose.There are two choices to either serve God or serve the evil one. We see the division in our world right now. We saw a cop who should have never been on the force serve evil. We see our politicians serving themselves and pandering to the lowest common denominator. We see our military disobeying lawful orders. We see anarchy in our country and in our church.

to quote Bob Dylan:
Yes, of course.
The other member is not replying,,,but Jesus meant that we would have to choose Him or not choose Him.
A father might choose Jesus and become saved...this would separate the father from a son that might NOT choose to serve Jesus.

Jesus did not mean to separate a father and son since it is one of the commandments to honor father and mother.

Upvote 0