How did you overcome your fear of going to the gym?

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just joined an all-women's gyms near me. Less intimidating and was built this year so not that crowded at all. If I were to go to a regular gym, I'd mostly go during quiet hours or just wear headphones and a hat and tune out everything else and focus on what I'm doing. :) it's nice to see others getting fit. I think it's a good thing to keep in mind that everyone's there to get active.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,547.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My factory hired a few athletes from Virginia Tech who had won the Peach Bowl the previous season. They were all Christian and Word of Faith in doctrine. They took a liking to me and called me, "McCwowt" (not my name). They would say things like...

"Do you know what overcomes fear, McCwowt? Action! Action overcomes fear!"
"McCwowt! What are you believing God for, McCwowt?"

They would encourage me to faith and action. They all moved on... I miss all that faith talk!

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With all these big strong men walking around scaring people, how do you guys do it?
I realise that this is not quite what you are getting at, but if you're not a bit fearful about going to the gym then perhaps you are not going hard enough.
Furthermore I am talking as a man, so perhaps not entirely relevant to you, although I think as far as the guys are concerned the principle stands; as far as guys bigger and more muscle bound than I, the harder they have worked for their gains: My experience is that the harder they appear, the nicer they are to be around.
It's about respect.
This is not just true in the gym but everywhere in life.
It's the weedy little try hards and posers that give a person the most grief.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You can find gyms that have a better atmosphere...

I live in a condo, and am fortunate enough to be in one where the condo complex has an on-site gym & fitness center. And since I'm one of the few living here that are under the age of 60, I usually have the place to myself :)

...I've heard that places like Planet Fitness purposely try to keep a casual, non-threatening vibe in their gyms though.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2018
Münsterland
✟15,201.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
>With all these big strong men walking around scaring people, how do you guys do it?
I just go and dont care about them. Most of them arent really that confrontational.
Since you are a woman, you should better dress really conservatively. Than you have nothing to fear.
>Is planet fitness more friendly than like golds gym?
Planet fitness is absolute garbage, they have days where they offer you donuts and pizza for free and they dont take lifting, dedication, discipline in the least bit seriously.
They expel people with their "lunk alarm" and pretend to be the nice ones as their doing it.
If you want to lift and train your body seriously as a temple of the holy spirit, than planet fitness may not be the best choice.

Upvote 0

HarvestTheFields

Great White North
Mar 7, 2016
Indiana
Visit site
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I used to be 120 lbs, so I was way too intimidated to go to the gym.

I eventually started counting calories in an effort to gain weight. We had some gym equipment at home, so I started working out there. Even calisthenic exercises can bring quite a bit of progress.

Just working out at home, I gained about 40 pounds in a year. After that, going to the gym wasn't as intimidating.

I then found out that the people at the gym weren't as judgmental and intimidating as I thought they'd be. Sometimes you just gotta go for it!

Upvote 0

ms.smith

Apr 1, 2019
Arkansas
✟22,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With all these big strong men walking around scaring people, how do you guys do it?

Among the majority of men at my gym (I'm often the only woman in the weight section), most are average build and/or overweight. At least half of them. Really buff visible muscle guys are the minority. Just look at the average people

And honestly, I've gone to the gym regularly for over a year. I've never met any inconsiderate treatment or looks. I know not all gyms are like that, but I guarantee most of the "scary men" just want to put on their headphones, put their head down, and do their lifts, or their curls, whatever they like. They are focused on doing their workout in the time they have allowed, just like everyone else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ProGoddess

Daughter of My Lord
Jan 15, 2017
Heaven
✟28,753.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to go to the gym like 2 to 3 days a week. It was quite casual and I even made some friends there. I wasn't one who went there because I wanted to gain tons of muscles or trained to be a weight-lifter, but more like trying different methods of exercise and had fun with it.

The gym was quite equipped to suit different people and their life style like muscle training equipment, cardio workout machines, swimming pool, spa/jacuzzi, suana, steamroom, as well as various workout classes. It was also catered for working professionals who need to keep watch of the world events while having their exercises. Hence the gym was equipped with many televisions that showed different channels such as news and lifestyle (eg. food, clothings, shopping, etc).

I would usually try every type of equipment and machine, and followed by going to the spa to enjoy some massage, jumping into the pool for a swim, and sauna or steam bath. While having the relaxation time, that was where people started to chat with each other. After a while, whenever I went to the gym, I would always see the same people there.

For those who are fearful of going to the gym, I would suggest to go with a relax mind. Don't focus so much on the people around you, but concentrate of what you will want to achieve since you have decided to go there. Did you go to the gym to keep fit, to train your muscles, to lose some weight, or perhaps have a little fun in trying new things (like I did :))? Maybe you may want to try out a simple exercise or warm up exercise first before heading to the machine. When you start easy, you will not feel so tense. If you have a friend who is also interested in the gym, perhaps you may want to invite him/her to join you and go together. Going in pairs or groups can be fun too.

I hope the Lord will calm your fear. Remember when the Lord appeared to someone (Mary, Joseph, His disciples, and many more), He always said this,"Fear not."

Be blessed! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
We all started someplace. Big guys weren't always big. Big guys are teddy bears for the most part. Just go to the gym.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I joined my local community gym. My routine is to start off on the treadmill, then I use the rowing machine. Next I do some leg exercises on the PowerPlate machine. After that, I do weights and then I participate in a class. Lastly I like to do a quick floor workout on the mats using a ball and my resistance bands.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
As someone who won the Mr Puniverse competition back in the 1990s, there was nothing that was going to stop me getting to my first gym class to show all those bronze gods how it was done.

Unfortunately, the novelty wore off very quickly, the first day in fact, and I have never set foot in a gym ever since.

It is such a pity I didn't have the same courage to stop my direct debit which was collected for a further two years.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As someone who won the Mr Puniverse competition back in the 1990s, there was nothing that was going to stop me getting to my first gym class to show all those bronze gods how it was done.

Unfortunately, the novelty wore off very quickly, the first day in fact, and I have never set foot in a gym ever since.

It is such a pity I didn't have the same courage to stop my direct debit which was collected for a further two years.
LOL. With you brother, although I have to say my solo pursuits have been a bit more successful, more as a form of self flagellation though rather than as a form of exercise.

• Agree
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have my own bike and live 10 minutes ride away from parkland, open countryside and fabulous scenery. I don't see the point of sitting on an exercise bike gawking at videos of Calvin Harris, turning my feet over and over and getting nowhere! It would be more fun being a hamster in an exercise wheel!

• Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0