How did you fully surrender during Worship?

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've never been one of those flamboyant assertive types that seem to let it all out during the Worship service. You know, the ones you see down front singing at the top of their lungs swinging their arms around.
I've never been able to bring myself to do that and I'm not sure what's holding me back. I do however, feel I would get more out of the service spiritually if I did. The first time you let yourself go and fully surrendered, what was your mindset? Is there a secret to fully letting go?

We have a large stage and a loud band playing Hillsong, Bethel, Tomlin etc. So it's pretty much a concert experience and I still can't let go.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've never been one of those flamboyant assertive types that seem to let it all out during the Worship service. You know, the ones you see down front singing at the top of their lungs swinging their arms around.
I've never been able to bring myself to do that and I'm not sure what's holding me back. I do however, feel I would get more out of the service spiritually if I did. The first time you let yourself go and fully surrendered, what was your mindset? Is there a secret to fully letting go?

We have a large stage and a loud band playing Hillsong, Bethel, Tomlin etc. So it's pretty much a concert experience and I still can't let go.
There are very few who know Jesus Christ of Nazareth and the fruits of His Holy Spirit. You are one of them. Your blessed with discernment. Just be there waiting for those who want to know the truth after they indulge in the flesh with no Spirit, they will need you.

Hint: Letting go is the work of the flesh not His Holy Spirit.

Stay the course.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are very few who know Jesus Christ of Nazareth and the fruits of His Holy Spirit. You are one of them. Your blessed with discernment. Just be there waiting for those who want to know the truth after they indulge in the flesh with no Spirit, they will need you.

Hint: Letting go is the work of the flesh not His Holy Spirit.

Stay the course.
Blessings
I just felt that letting go physically might help me let go mentally. I harbor regrets from different era's of my life, and I feel sometimes they prevent me from letting go. It's a weight on my chest I need to let go of, being passive doesn't seem to be the answer.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, if you think you need to mention how big a stage is and how loud the music is . . . or what songs are being played . . . why would that have your attention??

Our attention needs to be to God Himself. And this is included in worship.

And everything in God's word can help us to be attentive to God and find out how to love. God can use any part of His word, somehow.

Plus, we have examples who can help us, who are praying for us. So, it can be good to share with examples who help you find out how to worship. They can include people on a stage.

So, we trust God to have us let go, the way He wants.

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

So, in us we submit to how God works our willing and doing. And during a church service, then, we test how God wants us to worship, by seeing how He in us has us worshiping Him. And, of course, we can outwardly express ourselves; but worship is not a show or a personality cult thing.

And, by the way, Jesus says, "Freely you have received, freely give." (in Matthew 10:8) From this, I see how I do not have to pay for what our own Father has people say to us, pray for us, or sing with us. So, worship is not for sale or show. What we need to "pay" is our attention to God :)

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

So, worship includes how we are pleasing to our Father in our character. As we become like Jesus, we become in worship in our character, which is all the time. And we worship then, by being the right way in our relating with one another in Jesus >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

Jesus is "gentle and lowly in heart" (in Matthew 11:29); and Jesus is so pleasing to our Father; so by relating "with all lowliness and gentleness" we are being pleasing to . . . worshiping . . . or Heavenly Father.

And as we relate in God's love like this, this feeds us for how we become able to worship in group worship.

"Do all things without complaining and disputing," (Philippians 2:14)

So, in our relating with God, we worship Him by not complaining.

And in our relating with people, we worship God and we love by not arguing. And I mean abusive and hurtful arguing in which we are trying to control someone instead of helping them with good example >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

You worship God, by trusting Him to make you a good example for people, instead of trying to control people so you can use them.

And I would say to test what is in a song presented for worship. I suspect there are songs which mainly are concerned about how God loves me, will take me to Heaven, and will give me good things and take care of me. This can be self-centered. And I don't need to boast to God that I am praising Him all the day long if I am arguing and complaining during each day!! lolololololol

Possibly, instead, I need to be singing how I need deep correction so I am genuinely pleasing to God and loving any and all people the way Jesus wants and not only or mainly thanking Him for being good to me.

Possibly worship includes, then, singing what you know is true between you and God and trusting Him to have us become the way He really wants so we are pleasing to Him like Jesus is.

So, how we are has a lot to do with it.

Upvote 0

nhisname

Dec 21, 2020
SW MO
✟28,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just felt that letting go physically might help me let go mentally. I harbor regrets from different era's of my life, and I feel sometimes they prevent me from letting go. It's a weight on my chest I need to let go of, being passive doesn't seem to be the answer.
Do you have a quiet time with the Father just you and he, with no distractions? Give Him your burdens, pray, read listen sing however you worship him.

Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you have a quiet time with the Father just you and he, with no distractions? Give Him your burdens, pray, read listen sing however you worship him.
Honestly I've given up on praying, I'm about to give up on the rest of it as well.

Upvote 0

mndgn.j

not a holier than thou
May 9, 2022
utah
✟19,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly I've given up on praying, I'm about to give up on the rest of it as well.
woah buddy that escalated quickly
Did I miss something? when you say give up on everything else what do you mean?
The christian walk is hard I get it, but we should remember that the world is much harder when we walk away from God. The consequences of sin is that it brings to life more and more sin, it multiplies in a sense. Seeds are planted and eventually your life sucks worse than it did when you were a christian because guess what ? the Devil won. he got you. he sought to destroy your life and he did just that. he will use whatever means necessary. always remember that God is the only one who has your back. God bless you, Much love!

Reactions: nhisname
Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
woah buddy that escalated quickly
Did I miss something? when you say give up on everything else what do you mean?
The christian walk is hard I get it, but we should remember that the world is much harder when we walk away from God. The consequences of sin is that it brings to life more and more sin, it multiplies in a sense. Seeds are planted and eventually your life sucks worse than it did when you were a christian because guess what ? the Devil won. he got you. he sought to destroy your life and he did just that. he will use whatever means necessary. always remember that God is the only one who has your back. God bless you, Much love!
I'm tired of people telling me how effective praying is, telling me that it works, telling me that it solves problems. I honestly think it doesn't do anything besides give you a feel good mind set. It doesn't stop wars, it doesn't stop loved ones from dying, it doesn't give wisdom to people that make bad decisions. I've poured my heart into prayer and I'm where I was when I started. I'm going to keep trying however

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mndgn.j

not a holier than thou
May 9, 2022
utah
✟19,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm tired of people telling me how effective praying is, telling me that it works, telling me that it solves problems. I honestly think it doesn't do anything besides give you a feel good mind set. It doesn't stop wars, it doesn't stop loved ones from dying, it doesn't give wisdom to people that make bad decisions. I've poured my heart into prayer and I'm where I was when I started. I'm going to keep trying however

do you have a church? do you have fellowship with other christians? Often times Gods not concerned with the desires of our flesh firstly. hes concerned with our desire for him. If you love God he will give you the desires of your heart. psalms 37:4 have patience, your time will come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums