Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
....hmmm.....well now. Those Cliff Notes for the book are looking mighty tempting! Please pray that I don't succumb. ^_^
Are you gonna get the English friendly Cliff Notes or the Cliff Notes that stay most true to the Russian lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you gonna get the English friendly Cliff Notes or the Cliff Notes that stay most true to the Russian lol

...maybe they have an 'interlinear'? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've only read the one translation, so I can't really say which one is better. And that was with the Russian department, so they were obviously going to be picky about staying as faithful as possible to the original.

...and what, pray tell, were you doing over in that "Russian" department, ay? o_O

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well as far as Amazon reviews the opinions were that Pevear is the most true form, and you might lose some of the small meanings if you get McDuff, but McDuff is less prone to getting confused in a sentence if you're not familiar with Russian literature. Of course there's the option to get both and read Pevear 2nd if it's SO good (according to WLC, @Silmarien , @anonymous person). Maybe they can chime in on which translation they like best!

EDIT...i posted this before Silmarien posted. I wonder what version @anonymous person has?
McDuff did the Penguin Classics one. That's the one I read.

Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
ed: Well even Einstein admitted that the existence of the laws of physics plainly imply a Lawgiver.

pos: Why do you keep repeating this? Physics is simply the way we observe the universe working, just because something is predictable does not mean there is a law giver.
No, almost all scientists agree that the laws of physics DO exist and do control how the universe behaves. Our descriptions of them, of course, may not always be correct but that does not mean they don't exist.

pos: People had already discovered they could experiment
Not an ongoing systematic self correcting process of experimentation and study of the universe and everything within it. This was invented by Christians.

pos: Except that hundreds of years before the universe was being explained already.
Only in fits and starts and stops.

pos; Goodness, modern science as you call it was based on earlier Greek, Babylonian and others people of science, without which progress in the then prominently Christian world would not have been possible.
I don't deny that what the Greeks and the others did, was helpful and was incorporated into modern science but given their worldview it was unlikely they would have come up with the process mentioned above. They did not believe as a society as a whole that the universe was intelligible and orderly, objectively exists, and even the well educated could get their hands dirty and do experiments, not just slaves.

pos: Why do you keep repeating this? Physics is simply the way we observe the universe working, just because something is predictable does not mean there is a law giver.
According to Einstein it does.

pos: Einstein certainly did not make this connection.

Einstein referred to himself as a religious non believer, agnostic, he believed (in his earlier days) in Spinoza's god. ( a non personal god)

Yes, he did make the connection, google it. But you are right he erred because he attributed it to an impersonal lawgiver which is a contradiction and makes no sense rationally. Einstein was not infallible in case you didn't know.

pos: Einstein believed the problem of God was the "most difficult in the world"—a question that could not be answered "simply with yes or no." He conceded that, "the problem involved is too vast for our limited minds.
In a letter to Joseph Dispentiere on 24th March 1954 he wrote.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

In January 1954 he wrote to the philosopher Erik Gutkind, the actual letter can be seen here.

Still, without Brouwer’s suggestion I would never have gotten myself to engage intensively with your book because it is written in a language inaccessible to me. The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. ... For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstition. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong ... have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything “chosen” about them.

I am not claiming that he believed in a personal God, see my statement above.

pos: And here we are off downhill again, you are mixing up logical impossibilities with design possibilities, You are effectively saying that Physics dictated to your god how the universe was formed, in which case he is simply not a god but a mere observer.
A square circle is a design too, some designs apparently are logically impossible if you have certain goals in mind for your design, this is well known in engineering. And so it is for God too. He dictated the laws of physics to accomplish His specific goals for the universe and humanity. The universe is a school for spiritual growth and a process to destroy evil forever at the same time producing the greatest goods. And apparently this is the only universe that can do both.

pos: Here is that 'personal beings' again, which is word salad, as for free will as you call it, it is becoming doubtful it even exists.

There is no such thing as free will

Now you just destroyed the foundation of your whole thread and argument, without free will you cannot weigh arguments and evidence, engage in true experimentation, use logic and come to conclusions based on those things. So your argument using all these things is self refuting. So why even engage in debates or accept anything science SAYS?

pos: Again you are placing god in the submissive role to physics, either he created the laws of physics and the universe, or he did not.
To say he could only have done it in a way that is destructive to his beloved creation is to beg the question of how much creating and design your god of choice actually could or did do.

No, see above about creating things with goals in mind and how they can be constricted to what is possible.

pos: Besides didn't the bible say ' For with God nothing shall be impossible.' ?

Actually understood in context of the rest of the bible, this should be better understood as saying "With God nothing that is possible is impossible."

pos: A quick visit to any devastation zone will make you see they not only do hurricanes destroy crops, livestock, property, pollutes water (which oddly, god in his wisdom does not replace, no matter what prayers are offered) they actually pollute the ground around them making the water undrinkable.

Yes, I don't deny that they do very bad things but they also do very good things, such as spreading nutrients around and providing rain to areas that often badly need it, among many other things. The destruction of much of the property and the death can be avoided by not building near coastal areas, so much of that has little to do with God but rather the stupidity and risky desires of humans.

pos: Besides didn't your god stop the sun (and the moon) in Joshua 10:13 ? , of course that is ridiculous, but it shows that if your god exists he is not averse to breaking the so called 'laws' of the universe.
He doesn't break the laws of physics, He suspends them. But only very rarely as seen in Jeremiah 33:25 and by counting the number of supernatural events in the Bible as compared to the time that it covers which is 13.8 billion years.

pos: Sorry Ed your argumentative gymnastics here is amazing, your arguments just get sillier each time.
What gymnastics? Everything I have stated is philosophically and logically sound and you have yet to demonstrate otherwise or even attempted to do so.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
...and what, pray tell, were you doing over in that "Russian" department, ay? o_O

They were offering a class on The Brothers Karamazov my last semester. :) Fantastic class--I was the lone representative of the philosophy department who got to explain what Christian existentialism was to the professor, since he only knew about the atheist variety and was not buying the existentialist label for Dostoevsky.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They were offering a class on The Brothers Karamazov my last semester. :) Fantastic class--I was the lone representative of the philosophy department who got to explain what Christian existentialism was to the professor, since he only knew about the atheist variety and was not buying the existentialist label for Dostoevsky.

That does sound like quite an interesting experience. So, was the professor convinced by your explanation as to how philosophers, or Christian philosophers anyway, classify Dostoevsky?

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That does sound like quite an interesting experience. So, was the professor convinced by your explanation as to how philosophers, or Christian philosophers anyway, classify Dostoevsky?

My final project was based around thematically reconciling the book with Kierkegaard, and I did well in the class, so... I think so!

On the other hand, if I had known then what I know now, I'm not sure I'd have compared him to Kierkegaard at all. A lot of what's going on in the book is really tied into a very Russian understanding of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey! So can you clarify something? So you went into Brothers Karamazov as an atheist and came out of it a theist. You discovered Kierkegaard before Brothers Karamazov, so did Kierkegaard sort of soften your atheism before you read the book, but Kierkegaard by himself wasn't enough to nudge you out of atheism?

And I'm a little confused also about your statement that you're currently leaning towards deism because I was under the impression that deism is a pure intellectual position that sees merit in intellectual arguments for a God, but denies any interaction or personal connection whatsoever. I know that you are extremely intellectual, but also that you would be extremely dialed into the personal connection aspect of God. So, is it a lack of you having any personal experiences for yourself that are nudging you away from theism and towards deism? You make a lot of great (inner experience style) theism arguments that's why I was confused.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey! So can you clarify something? So you went into Brothers Karamazov as an atheist and came out of it a theist. You discovered Kierkegaard before Brothers Karamazov, so did Kierkegaard sort of soften your atheism before you read the book, but Kierkegaard by himself wasn't enough to nudge you out of atheism?

And I'm a little confused also about your statement that you're currently leaning towards deism because I was under the impression that deism is a pure intellectual position that sees merit in intellectual arguments for a God, but denies any interaction or personal connection whatsoever. I know that you are extremely intellectual, but also that you would be extremely dialed into the personal connection aspect of God. So, is it a lack of you having any personal experiences for yourself that are nudging you away from theism and towards deism? You make a lot of great (inner experience style) theism arguments that's why I was confused.

Oh, I was never really an atheist, though I would say that I was an atheistic existentialist, in that I had nothing remotely positive to say about organized religion. Kierkegaard was the first writer to make me actually appreciate Christianity, and certainly paved the way for Dostoevsky to make a more serious impact than he otherwise might have. He made me realize that I was not and could never be an atheist, but it was more a shift in trajectory than anything else.

I have deistic tendencies, but they're related specifically to the concept of revelation, not personal experience. I normally don't identify as a deist because I am much too interested in mysticism, but when you're specifically talking about the way God reveals himself in history, I am wary. Hence the comment about deism. I'm not really being nudged away from theism, though--quite the opposite, actually, since I was for quite some time unwilling to consider anything beyond a vague pantheism. The tame sort of God who demands nothing and can be taken out and examined in a moment of boredom. Once theism becomes more than an idle intellectual exercise, though, everything changes, and it's hard to keep up with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My final project was based around thematically reconciling the book with Kierkegaard, and I did well in the class, so... I think so!
Oh, I'm sure you gave the professor something substantive to think about. :cool:

On the other hand, if I had known then what I know now, I'm not sure I'd have compared him to Kierkegaard at all. A lot of what's going on in the book is really tied into a very Russian understanding of Christianity.
That's a good point. Russian Orthodoxy is a different approach to faith than Danish Lutheranism, even from the more pietistic type of Lutheranism that informed Kierkegaard when he was young.

Y'know, it just dawned on me that with Pascal, Kierkegaard and Dostoevsky, you have a fi-deistic trifecta: a bit of Catholicism (Pascal), a bit of Protestantism (Kierkegaard), and a bit of Orthodoxy (Dostoevsky). Interesting to me, but I'm sure you already noticed this.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Ed1wolf said:
No, the probabilities for all the things to come out right to produce intelligent life are so high that they are considered impossible

pos: why impossible? and by whom ? certainty not mainstream science.
No, mainstream mathematicians and probability scientists have said this. When probabilities get to those levels they are for all practical purposes impossible.

ed: and take even greater faith to believe will occur than faith in a supernatural Being.

pos: This is another one of those nonsensical sayings, It takes absolutely zero faith to believe we are here. We simply don't need to add a god (one of many) of a persons choice to the equation.
Non sequitur, I didn't say to believe we are here, I said to believe that we came into existence thru random impersonal processes.

ed: So far, only one planet has all the right characteristics for life on it.

pos; Don't you mean 'that we know of', and we know the tiniest part of our universe. Mostly these arguments were made before we know that stars elsewhere had planets too.
No, these arguments are still made today by astrobiologists.

pos: In fact Kepler data shows there may be as many as 40 Billion earth like planets in the CHZ (circumstellar habitable zone) The chances of there being life elsewhere are increasing all the time. We are even exploring the possibility that life existed albeit not as successfully on other planets on our own solar system.
Nevertheless so far no life has been found, some microbial life may be found on planets in our solar system due to transference from earth by meteors knocking it out into space.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,231.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No, mainstream mathematicians and probability scientists have said this. When probabilities get to those levels they are for all practical purposes impossible.

Your opinion is not borne out by reality. And as has been pointed out to you over and over, without a way to know the totality of the data set, there's no way to judge how likely something is to happen.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I'm sure you gave the professor something substantive to think about. :cool:
Something tells me that her explanations to him were way more enlightening than if he Google searched the answers!!

Well I've had a ton of philosophy books added to, then deleted from my Amazon cart. After much thought I now know that my interests are definitely in metaphysics and philosophy of science. So if you or @Silmarien had any 'Must Reads' to recommend to me in those sub disciplines I'd appreciate it!

I'm not really interested in history of the development of them (unless that would be a necessary step) or knowing what each philosoper thought, I'd rather have groups of philosophers brought together where they are in agreement and have their ideas compared to competing ideas from different groups of philosophers (unless certain individual philosophers are too important/great to pass on!).

To get me going on philosophy of science I was gonna go with 'Theory and Reality: An Intro...' by Peter Godfrey-Smith, and the Philosophy of Science course from The Great Courses (The book is part of the recommended reading for that course). However I seem to be totally undecided on which metaphysics books to get, many of them look good, any must read recommendations that stand out?? If not I'll just pick 1 or 2 to get me going. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something tells me that her explanations to him were way more enlightening than if he Google searched the answers!!

Well I've had a ton of philosophy books added to, then deleted from my Amazon cart. After much thought I now know that my interests are definitely in metaphysics and philosophy of science. So if you or @Silmarien had any 'Must Reads' to recommend to me in those sub disciplines I'd appreciate it!
Metaphysics is more Silmarien's area, although I do dabble in philosophy of science, and the metaphysics I do study is tucked within more general philosophy books. I've got all kinds of books, but I think it's usually best to know what it is you want to study before buying. Besides, you can get some very decent articles for free through the internet. For instance, if you want to read something on the "Philosophy of Science," you can look some specifics up online through:

the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy

On top of this, there are often a fair number of free access academic Journal Articles one can pull up, also for free, through Google Scholar. Anyway, these are just some ideas as to academic level sources you can find and which are available for 'free.' ;)

I'm not really interested in history of the development of them (unless that would be a necessary step) or knowing what each philosoper thought, I'd rather have groups of philosophers brought together where they are in agreement and have their ideas compared to competing ideas from different groups of philosophers (unless certain individual philosophers are too important/great to pass on!).

To get me going on philosophy of science I was gonna go with 'Theory and Reality: An Intro...' by Peter Godfrey-Smith, and the Philosophy of Science course from The Great Courses (The book is part of the recommended reading for that course). However I seem to be totally undecided on which metaphysics books to get, many of them look good, any must read recommendations that stand out?? If not I'll just pick 1 or 2 to get me going. Thanks.
If you've already ordered something, that's fine. Go for it, Dirk. There's a lot of good sources out there for these things.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Metaphysics is more Silmarien's area, although I do dabble in philosophy of science, and the metaphysics I do study is tucked within more general philosophy books. I've got all kinds of books, but I think it's usually best to know what it is you want to study before buying. Besides, you can get some very decent articles for free through the internet. For instance, if you want to read something on the "Philosophy of Science," you can look some specifics up online through:

the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy

On top of this, there are often a fair number of free access academic Journal Articles one can pull up, also for free, through Google Scholar. Anyway, these are just some ideas as to academic level sources you can find and which are available for 'free.' ;)

If you've already ordered something, that's fine. Go for it, Dirk. There's a lot of good sources out there for these things.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid
Ok thanks a lot for putting up with the philosophically handicapped lol, I never had any philosophy training and except for the past few months (in here) I'm guilty of being one of the people who thought it was just plain boring. Even the course (WLC) I bought years ago I watched for 10 minutes than threw in my closet and forgot about. I never saw it's fun side before, I'm so interested now...also, why am I not allowed to post in the Philosophy section???

Anyway, I get it now, there's a ton of sub disciplines of philosophy and you have to just choose one of the rabbit holes and dive in. I wanna dive into the philosophy of science rabbit hole. I just mentioned metaphysics because I read that it's the basement level cornerstone of philosophy, and learning at least the basics of it will make philosophy of science easier to grasp. Is that true?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

pos: Actually it's the most terrible example you could possibly give. You are confusing an intent to do something that does not happen the way it was meant to with probability.
No, because the probability is so low, with the analogy has to be that you would not exist. See above about how many mathematicians and probability scientists believe that the odds against life are so high that it is basically impossible. So the firing squad analogy has to show the impossibility of surviving it.

pos: But most importantly you can prove that there was an intention to shoot a person, with the universe you cannot prove either what the cause was or intention. Neither can you prove what if anything existed before.
No, you would have to prove that they intended NOT to shoot a person. That is more difficult but it can be done. Just as determining design is difficult but not impossible. I never said I could PROVE the cause of the universe, just demonstrate it beyond a reasonable doubt, not a shadow of a doubt using inductive reasoning.

pos: Of course many others would disagree, but as I'm only at the moment considering your claim it would be wonderful to see that evidence someday.
I have, see my earlier posts.

pos: Well living thinking beings created him, along with many other gods so that's what you would expect.
Evidence? It is unlikely the Christian God is manmade due to his high moral standards especially sexual morality. A manmade god would let you have sex with anybody you want, the Christian God plainly does not allow such behavior.

pos: Yes because men made god, one of many, and for the record, it still sounds like gibberish to me.
See above why Yahweh is unlikely to be manmade.

pos: Yes you keep saying this, but what does it mean ?
Let me try and understand, let me ask the question .. therefore..?
It shows His Triune fingerprint on everything.

pos: Ermm yes, but what exactly is your point, other than it fits in exactly with evolutionary biology and a common ancestor ?
See above.

pos: It operates a certain way, which we have observed and called laws, but that does not imply a law maker at all, absolutely no god needed.
Not according to Einstein. Provide an example of laws coming into existence without a law maker.

This makes your whole argument self refuting as I stated earlier.

pos: But wouldn't they need to know he existed for sure before making that choice, otherwise it's not a choice. It is logical to me at least that before god asks us to accept or reject him he would have to make it clear he existed, and I assume would know how to do that.

To say that we have to have faith that he even exists before we can make a choice to reject him or not is utter nonsense.
Everyone knows deep down that He exists but some influenced by their environment and education begin to repress that knowledge over time and eventually believe their own lie to themselves that they don't believe God exists based on the evidence. But actually that is just a rationalization for them to reject their previous belief and not have to give an account of how they spend their time.

pos: So far you and your imaginary god have failed to produce any convincing evidence at all.
I have provided strong evidence that He does exist, see earlier posts.

pos: Absolutely, though I'm not sure where you get the 10,000 years from.
Scientists.

pos: Well he really needs to hurry up, he's few thousand years late already.
No, He never said when He would come back.

pos: Excellent, like i say I look forward to you presenting some.

I have see above.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Ed1wolf said:
No, there may be impersonal intermediate stages to produce the personal (that is why it is possible God used evolution to create humans) but ultimately the cause must be personal.

pos: Why ?
Because according to all of human experience and empirical observation this has been true.

Upvote 0