How did Trump's health chief lose nearly $50k in luggage in three days?

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Hi stanfordella,

I thought I had read that it wasn't an airline incident, but when I went back to check, none of the articles that came up right away on a Google search didn't make clear 'how' the goods were stolen/lost.

I had that exact same thing happen to me some 20 years ago when I was traveling on a vacation to Virginia. My father had suffered a stroke while I was in Virginia, I lived in Florida at the time, and so the wife and I packed up our stuff early and took off for Charleston WV to visit him in the hospital. While we were in the hospital, someone smashed in the side window of the Toyota 4Runner that we were driving, and got off with all of our luggage.

Of course, we didn't have anything valuable in our luggage at all and so they just got a bunch of clothing and toiletry items, but it was pretty devastating to suffer the loss of all our clean clothes to wear. However, most homeowner's insurance policies have a provision for items stolen out of one's vehicle.

This from an Allstate explanation: So, if your personal property — a golf bag full of clubs, for instance — is stolen from your car, and the personal property coverage in your homeowners or renters policy protects against theft, your insurer may help pay for its replacement. Keep in mind that items kept away from your home may have a lower coverage limit. Read your policy to learn now much off-premises coverage it provides for personal property.

So, someone who regularly, according to some of the reports this is a fairly regular amount of valuables for her to be carrying with her on trips, carries valuables should speak with their homeowner's insurer to ask about additional coverage for such items. Or just get a separate loss policy to cover such an eventuality.

The irony here though, is that for someone who pretty regularly talks up people taking responsibility for their healthcare costs by encouraging the purchase of health insurance, and quit sticking the government with your healthcare costs, doesn't seem to have the slightest qualm in not getting similar coverage for her personal belongings and then sticking the government with the cost of their loss. Sadly, many of those that are 'encouraged' to buy health insurance, really struggle to pay for it and generally have to make pretty great financial sacrifices to pay for it...except that under President Obama we got a healthcare plan that helps lower income folks with tax credits to help out. We've yet to see President Trump's grand and glorious, better than anyone else's plan ever in the history of the world, health insurance plan that is going to give us all better insurance at lower costs. Yeah, right!

God bless,
In Christ, ted

That's really awful that they broke into your car and stole your luggage when you were visiting your dad who'd had a stroke!!!! Did he end up being ok???

My mom travels a ton bc of her work. She dresses in business attire & looks totally appropriate w/o wearing expensive jewelry. She even wears a backup wedding ring not her real one bc she travels so much she is scared she'll get sleepy & leave it behind in a hotel room or something. They both have rings they wear when they travel to leave the for real ones at home.

We are Americans, I was born in America, but we moved to Canada a few yrs ago. In part bc my sister has asperger's & t1d and her medical expenses were super super high. Plus she was traumatized after a school shooting. We left the US when I was a kid so Idk as much about health insurance there. It's really not complicated here. I love it. I'm friends irl with stanfordella who also has got diabetes and I know her insulin & her pump costs SO SO SO much more than my sister's!

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi cimorene,

Thanks for your reply:
That's really awful that they broke into your car and stole your luggage when you were visiting your dad who'd had a stroke!!!! Did he end up being ok???

He died about 2 weeks later. I think he had a heart attack. He was fairly young at 62.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but yeah, I think there are a lot better ways for us to spend our tax money than being the biggest war machine on the planet.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Hi cimorene,

Thanks for your reply:

He died about 2 weeks later. I think he had a heart attack. He was fairly young at 62.

:( That's so sad.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but yeah, I think there are a lot better ways for us to spend our tax money than being the biggest war machine on the planet.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

100% agree.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,224,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
Thread has undergone a cleanup.
Folks you need to hold the snarkieness down.
ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0