Illinois
✟176,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe we are saved by grace. And that the Gospel is 1 Cor 15: 1-4. Jesus died for our sins and he alone saves.

But how all of a sudden we have all these new inventions coming out like the SDA Church, Mormons, JW, Unification, works based churches? Then we have 100+ different types of gospels/salvation plans circulating around that have a different idea for salvation.

The Churches that I know are safe from the top of my head are Baptist, Evangelical, Methodist, etc. I don't know much about other denominations, but these ones at least seem to have the correct gospel.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not all are following the Shepherd; that's for sure.

John 10
22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter. 23And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch. 24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. 25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Christian Every Word of God is Pure.jpg

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
First there was one Church. Then, in the eleventh century, there were two Churches. Then the Protestant Reformation in the 1500s caused the explosion and splintering we see today. Lutherans, Methodists, SDA, Baptists, Presbyterians- these and others all have their roots in the Reformation, which at its core contested a central, Earthly Church authority. So I suppose this is the answer to your question, "How did this happen?" When there's no one visible on the "seat of Moses", anything can and does go.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
JohnB445 - TuxAme beat me to the punch. I am a life long Protestant, but was about to point out that the Catholics and Orthodox surely ask themselves not only how did Protestantism begin, but how could there be so many different Protestant denominations. There is no easy answer to the question, other than the Scriptures are not conclusively clear re: certain issues and this lends itself to different interpretations and different denominations. (ex: infant baptism, predestination, church authority, etc.)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
JohnB445 - TuxAme beat me to the punch. I am a life long Protestant, but was about to point out that the Catholics and Orthodox surely ask themselves not only how did Protestantism begin, but how could there be so many different Protestant denominations. There is no easy answer to the question, other than the Scriptures are not conclusively clear re: certain issues and this lends itself to different interpretations and different denominations. (ex: infant baptism, predestination, church authority, etc.)

It's called "freedom of religion."

Those who aren't Jesus' sheep don't believe His message.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's called "freedom of religion."

Those who aren't Jesus' sheep don't believe His message.

The message is he died for our sins and rose on the third day. And whoever believes that he is Lord and accepts him as savior will live. What he did for us, not what we did.

Is that the message?

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe we are saved by grace. And that the Gospel is 1 Cor 15: 1-4. Jesus died for our sins and he alone saves.

But how all of a sudden we have all these new inventions coming out like the SDA Church, Mormons, JW, Unification, works based churches? Then we have 100+ different types of gospels/salvation plans circulating around that have a different idea for salvation.

The Churches that I know are safe from the top of my head are Baptist, Evangelical, Methodist, etc. I don't know much about other denominations, but these ones at least seem to have the correct gospel.
Because we interpret the Bible. Devise more and more elaborate explanations on it and it doesn't match up when we have added in human understanding. We make mistakes.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

There are two errors a church can fall into. One is ignoring Gods law, the other is ignoring God's gospel. Different churches fall into different errors with regards to this. Within all three groups you me yion there are denominations in truth and in error with regards to both these issues so to simply say that evangelicals, Baptists, and Methodists get it right is incorrect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well there are 2 groups.

One group says Jesus death on the cross can't save us, and we got to do works and believe then we are saved.

Another group says that his death on the cross is sufficient for our salvation.

One is correct, they can't both be right. Which is the truth? Did Jesus die for nothing?

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The answer is simple. The truth is that all religions, Muslim, Christianity, Buddha for example, are man centered in their different forms. Man hates the one true God revealed in the Bible and therefore devises a system of self salvation to appease his conscience. All false religions are based in works in some way. TheGreat harlot is false religion. She appeals to the religious “seeker” in every age. The Canaanites worshiped false gods, the Jews twisted the message of the Old Testament in order to form a man centered works religion, “Christians” did the same thing. They have gone into the forest of their imagination and carved them out a “Jesus” that they can worship. One who isn’t actually sovereign but must wait on man to make a decision.

Man left to himself will always form a false god.

Read Rom. 1:18-25. Notice how the knowledge of God is in us all but we changed the glory of God, His sovereign mercy to chosen sinners, Ex. 33:19, into the image of corruptible man. That is what false religions always do, including “Christianity”.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The catholic church was never the first church.....the apostles spread the gospel..there was 7 churches mentioned in NT...so please quit saying the catholic church was first church or is only true church...

First there was one Church. Then, in the eleventh century, there were two Churches. Then the Protestant Reformation in the 1500s caused the explosion and splintering we see today. Lutherans, Methodists, SDA, Baptists, Presbyterians- these and others all have their roots in the Reformation, which at its core contested a central, Earthly Church authority. So I suppose this is the answer to your question, "How did this happen?" When there's no one visible on the "seat of Moses", anything can and does go.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The devil contributed to all this confusion...men trying to know more than God...thus all branches

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it is important to remember Proverbs 3:5-6

The problem is man's understanding. Whenever someone comes up with a doctrine they are leaning on their own understanding. The more complicated it is the more chance of error. I am at the point in my walk where I only believe what the Bible says and although I listen to what Pastors say I leave all that as hearsay. (Not heresy, hearsay). I use it as head knowledge, which isn't necessarily correct and leave it in God's hands. God teaches the heart through life and living out His word.

I can not reconcile Calvin to the Bible. Haven't bothered with finding out about what Arminism says. I just go with what the Bible says but don't necessarily trust my opinion. I trust the Lord will teach me all I need to know and guide me. I lean on that, not a denomination.

I think the Baptist church I am a member of do a good job of teaching the Bible but I don't think any man's teaching is infallible and it is through that we have ended up where we are. People trusting in man's understanding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums