LDS How did the Mormon Jesus get his Exaltation?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
To get a degree or level of glory, or grace, a man must obey the laws upon which that particular level of glory is predicated, and if he is more diligent and obedient than another, he will have that much more advantage in the world to come. (See D&C 130:18–21.) President Harold B. Lee explained:

“The most important of all the commandments of God is that one that you’re having the most difficulty keeping today. If it’s one of dishonesty, if it’s one of unchastity, if it’s one of falsifying, not telling the truth, today is the day for you to work on that until you’ve been able to conquer that weakness. Then you start on the next one that’s most difficult for you to keep.” (Church News, 5 May 1973, p. 3.)

Thus, a man must take his temptations in their turn and conquer them. This is what Jesus did, step by step, degree to greater degree, grace by grace, and this is what Jesus would have you do.
The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles Chapter 3: “The Son of the Eternal Father”

"Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.
"And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.
"There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated ---
"And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated." (D&C 130:18-21)
Doctrine and Covenants 130

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
How did the Mormon Jesus get his Exaltation?

There's no such thing as the "Mormon Jesus", there's just Jesus. There's only one. And He is the sole Savior of the world, the only begotten, the Son of God. If you'd like to talk more about Jesus, I'd be happy to. None of the quotes below are focused on Jesus or this OP question, but I'll chat about them in the next post.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
To get a degree or level of glory, or grace, a man must obey the laws upon which that particular level of glory is predicated, and if he is more diligent and obedient than another, he will have that much more advantage in the world to come. (See D&C 130:18–21.)
LDS do believe that following God's commandments are a good thing. They aren't what save you (that's Christ(, but they are a good thing. We, as His follows, cannot in good conscious just ignore our Master's commands.
President Harold B. Lee explained:

“The most important of all the commandments of God is that one that you’re having the most difficulty keeping today. If it’s one of dishonesty, if it’s one of unchastity, if it’s one of falsifying, not telling the truth, today is the day for you to work on that until you’ve been able to conquer that weakness. Then you start on the next one that’s most difficult for you to keep.” (Church News, 5 May 1973, p. 3.)
This newspaper quote is talking about the same thing.
Thus, a man must take his temptations in their turn and conquer them.
Yes- this is done with Christ doing the heavy lifting (and the light lifting and all the other lifting everything else). He commanded us to be perfect.
"Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.
"And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.
Yep, LDS believe learning is a good thing.
"There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated ---
"And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated." (D&C 130:18-21)
Doctrine and Covenants 130
And more about how we shouldn't ignore out Master's commands.

Good quotes all around, but not particularly on the subject of Christ Himself.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's no such thing as the "Mormon Jesus", there's just Jesus. There's only one. And He is the sole Savior of the world, the only begotten, the Son of God. If you'd like to talk more about Jesus, I'd be happy to. None of the quotes below are focused on Jesus or this OP question, but I'll chat about them in the next post.
Oh there certainly is.

The Jesus of the bible is not the Jesus nor the Bom .

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thus, a man must take his temptations in their turn and conquer them. This is what Jesus did, step by step, degree to greater degree, grace by grace, and this is what Jesus would have you do.
The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles Chapter 3: “The Son of the Eternal Father”

How does a man become a God?

"Here, then, is eternal life--to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you, namely, by going from one small degree to another, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings, and to sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power."
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 346-347

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Oh there certainly is.

I don't know if Mormons are lying or uninformed. They're probably uninformed, IOW, unaware of the Biblical teachings about false Christs and the statements by multiple Mormon leaders.

Mormon Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley said,
"The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the dispensation of the fullness of times."

"It is true that many of the Christian churches worship a different Jesus Christ than is worshiped by the Mormons or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For example from the Church of England’s Articles of Religion, article one, I quote: 'There is but one living God, everlasting, without body, parts, or passions. . . .' We cannot obtain salvation and eternal life by worshiping fake Christs. . . . The belief that God has no body parts, and passions is not a doctrine of Jesus Christ or a doctrine of the holy scriptures but is a doctrine of men, and to worship such a God is in vain."
Elder Bernard P. Brockbank of the First Quorum of the Seventy, General Conference, April 1977, The Living Christ, also Ensign, May 1977
The Living Christ - Ensign May 1977 - ensign

“Jesus Christ is the Son of Elohim both as spiritual and bodily offspring; that is to say, Elohim is literally the Father of the spirit of Jesus Christ and also of the body in which Jesus Christ performed His mission in the flesh.”
James Talmage, Articles of Faith (Salt Lake City, UT: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1974), p. 466

“Implicit in his spirit birth as the Firstborn is the fact that, as with all the spirit children of the Father, he had a beginning; there was a day when he came into being as a conscious identity, as a spirit entity, as an organized intelligence. How then is he the Eternal One? It might be said that he is eternal, as all men are, meaning that spirit element — the intelligence which was organized into intelligences — has always existed and is therefore eternal.”
Bruce R. McConkie, The Promised Messiah (Salt Lake City, UT: Bookcraft, 1978), p. 165

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Oh there certainly is.

Here's what the Book of Mormon says about Christ:

"5 For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent who reigneth, who was, and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and curing all manner of diseases.

6 And he shall cast out devils, or the evil spirits which dwell in the hearts of the children of men.

7 And lo, he shall suffer temptations, and pain of body, hunger, thirst, and fatigue, even more than man can suffer, except it be unto death; for behold, blood cometh from every pore, so great shall be his anguish for the wickedness and the abominations of his people.

8 And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.

9 And lo, he cometh unto his own, that salvation might come unto the children of men even through faith on his name; and even after all this they shall consider him a man, and say that he hath a devil, and shall scourge him, and shall crucify him.

10 And he shall rise the third day from the dead; and behold, he standeth to judge the world; and behold, all these things are done that a righteous judgment might come upon the children of men.

11 For behold, and also his blood atoneth for the sins of those who have fallen by the transgression of Adam, who have died not knowing the will of God concerning them, or who have ignorantly sinned.

12 But wo, wo unto him who knoweth that he rebelleth against God! For salvation cometh to none such except it be through repentance and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ."

Mosiah 3

Any part of this you don't believe?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"5 For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent who reigneth, who was, and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and curing all manner of diseases.

6 And he shall cast out devils, or the evil spirits which dwell in the hearts of the children of men.

7 And lo, he shall suffer temptations, and pain of body, hunger, thirst, and fatigue, even more than man can suffer, except it be unto death; for behold, blood cometh from every pore, so great shall be his anguish for the wickedness and the abominations of his people.

8 And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.

9 And lo, he cometh unto his own, that salvation might come unto the children of men even through faith on his name; and even after all this they shall consider him a man, and say that he hath a devil, and shall scourge him, and shall crucify him.

10 And he shall rise the third day from the dead; and behold, he standeth to judge the world; and behold, all these things are done that a righteous judgment might come upon the children of men.

11 For behold, and also his blood atoneth for the sins of those who have fallen by the transgression of Adam, who have died not knowing the will of God concerning them, or who have ignorantly sinned.

12 But wo, wo unto him who knoweth that he rebelleth against God! For salvation cometh to none such except it be through repentance and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ."

Mosiah 3

It's not a matter of our beliefs. It's a matter of consistency of lds stated beliefs. What you posted is not consistent with Phoebe Ann's quotes from lds leaders. Are they preaching a false gospel with a false Jesus?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It's not a matter of our beliefs. It's a matter of consistency of lds stated beliefs. What you posted is not consistent with Phoebe Ann's quotes from lds leaders. Are they preaching a false gospel with a false Jesus?
So is the BOM passage pretty close to what you believe about Jesus?

I'm going to know the answer to this question. Here it is. If it is close to your belief system, you will not admit it, but will deflect the question to another problem or topic, kind of like you did above.

If it is not close to your belief system, you will give me your argument.

So I will wait and see how you respond, then I will know.

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
It's not a matter of our beliefs. It's a matter of consistency of lds stated beliefs. What you posted is not consistent with Phoebe Ann's quotes from lds leaders.
The only seeming conflict is due to outsiders misunderstanding things, which is greatly escalated when people yank non-doctrinal quotes out of context. The Book of Mormon quote is actual LDS doctrine, and the context is included.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I'm telling you, LDS have been all over the place, but the thread is actually about how the Mormons say Jesus got his exaltation. They want to go on and on about my use of the word Mormon. Back to the topic and I'll reword it. How do Mormons think Jesus became a god?

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: “When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the gospel—you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil [died] before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith [2007], 268).

Joseph Smith taught: “It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God. … He was once a man like us; … God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 345–46).

Our Heavenly Father knows our trials, our weaknesses, and our sins. He has compassion and mercy on us. He wants us to succeed even as He did.
Gospel Principles Chapter 47: Exaltation

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I'm telling you, LDS have been all over the place, but the thread is actually about how the Mormons say Jesus got his exaltation.
???? The OP of this thread didn't even address that topic...
They want to go on and on about my use of the word Mormon. Back to the topic and I'll reword it. How do Mormons think Jesus became a god?
That is indeed better wording.

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: “When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the gospel—you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil [died] before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith [2007], 268).

Joseph Smith taught: “It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God. … He was once a man like us; … God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 345–46).

Our Heavenly Father knows our trials, our weaknesses, and our sins. He has compassion and mercy on us. He wants us to succeed even as He did.
Gospel Principles Chapter 47: Exaltation
None of these quotes are about Jesus and hence don't address the OP at all.

How about, if you want to know what Mormons think about Jesus Christ, just ask a Mormon. Here's a great place to start. Gospel Principles Chapter 3: Jesus Christ, Our Chosen Leader and Savior

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Mosiah 3

Yes all of it..it was written by Joe Smith thousands of years After the fact.
As opposed to scripture which was penned thousands of years before the fact and us proven by fulfillment.
Also there is the obvious..God who cannot lie ..made an everlasting covenant with David..
Everlasting.. .. The bom claims a forsaking of that..making God a liar.

But GOD can't lie.
So we know Joe Smith Did.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
As opposed to scripture which was penned thousands of years before the fact and us proven by fulfillment.
Also there is the obvious..God who cannot lie ..made an everlasting covenant with David..

But GOD can't lie.
Would you provide the scripture that claims a forsaking of that covenant?

Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do NOT believe that the Lord Omnipotent came down among men, shall/was/is called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and salvation comes through none but Him???

Are you sure?
I do not believe the rest Joe smith fabricated. But you knew what I meant.you just thought you would misrepresent my words and no one would notice the dishonesty in doing so.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I do not believe the rest Joe smith fabricated. But you knew what I meant.you just thought you would misrepresent my words and no one would notice the dishonesty in doing so.
Please don't flame.

I asked you what part of this passage you believe, you said you believed none of it. That seemed odd, so I asked if you were sure. This is open and honest communication.

Now, what part of the below passage do you not believe? I'll post it again to make things easy. It would help me if you pointed to which specific verse you disagree with. (Oh- I forgot to say earlier that the bolding is mine).

Mosiah 3
Thank you for being so helpful!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
LDS How did the Mormon Jesus get his Exaltation?

To get a degree or level of glory, or grace, a man must obey the laws upon which that particular level of glory is predicated, and if he is more diligent and obedient than another, he will have that much more advantage in the world to come. (See D&C 130:18–21.)

This is false:

President Joseph F. Smith taught: “I know that God is a being with body, parts and passions.... Man was born of woman; Christ, the Savior, was born of woman; and God,
the Father was born of woman” (Church News, 19 Sept. 1936, p. 2).
Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, p.152

Be careful in presenting this material that you don’t bring God down to man’s level. Our objective is to perfect ourselves and raise our level to his exalted place.
Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, p. 158

A few weeks ago, I was substituting in my daughter’s Sunday School class. The lesson was on how we come to Earth to learn. (You can find the lesson I gave BY CLICKING HERE.) I expected the lesson to conclude with the point that after we have learned what we come to Earth to learn, we will eventually become gods and goddesses and do the things that our Father in Heaven does.
Are We Gods in Embryo?

Man is god in embryo

"Man is a god in embryo and has in him the seeds of godhood, and he can, if he will, rise to great heights.'
The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball (1982), 28.

To pinpoint a destination not previously visited we usually consult a map. … The Lord Jesus Christ, our Redeemer and Savior, has given us our map—a code of laws and commandments whereby we might attain perfection and, eventually, godhood. This set of laws and ordinances is known as the gospel of Jesus Christ, and it is the only plan which will exalt mankind. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the sole repository of this priceless program in its fulness, which is made available to those who accept it...

Jesus perfected his life and became our Christ. Priceless blood of a god[sic] was shed, and he became our Savior; his perfected life was given, and he became our Redeemer; his atonement for us made possible our return to our Heavenly Father.17
Teachings: Spencer W. Kimball Chapter 1: “To Live with Him Someday”

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
LDS How did the Mormon Jesus get his Exaltation?

This is false:

President Joseph F. Smith taught: “I know that God is a being with body, parts and passions.... Man was born of woman; Christ, the Savior, was born of woman; and God,
the Father was born of woman” (Church News, 19 Sept. 1936, p. 2).
Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, p.152

Be careful in presenting this material that you don’t bring God down to man’s level. Our objective is to perfect ourselves and raise our level to his exalted place.
Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, p. 158

A few weeks ago, I was substituting in my daughter’s Sunday School class. The lesson was on how we come to Earth to learn. (You can find the lesson I gave BY CLICKING HERE.) I expected the lesson to conclude with the point that after we have learned what we come to Earth to learn, we will eventually become gods and goddesses and do the things that our Father in Heaven does.
Are We Gods in Embryo?

Man is god in embryo

"Man is a god in embryo and has in him the seeds of godhood, and he can, if he will, rise to great heights.'
The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball (1982), 28.

To pinpoint a destination not previously visited we usually consult a map. … The Lord Jesus Christ, our Redeemer and Savior, has given us our map—a code of laws and commandments whereby we might attain perfection and, eventually, godhood. This set of laws and ordinances is known as the gospel of Jesus Christ, and it is the only plan which will exalt mankind. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the sole repository of this priceless program in its fulness, which is made available to those who accept it...

Jesus perfected his life and became our Christ. Priceless blood of a god[sic] was shed, and he became our Savior; his perfected life was given, and he became our Redeemer; his atonement for us made possible our return to our Heavenly Father.17
Teachings: Spencer W. Kimball Chapter 1: “To Live with Him Someday”
Why the copy/paste repost of the same quotes which were just addressed on this page?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

But GOD can't lie.

I've read the entire Book of Mormon and agree with you that it was not inspired by God. Mormons can cherry pick the verses that are taken from the Bible or sound similar to some of the Bible, but the wicked statements in it tell us that it did not come from God.

• Winner
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0