• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

How did Pelosi triple her net worth in two years?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by hislegacy, Feb 11, 2019.

1. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+6,607
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Nancy Pelosi- Net Worth - Personal Finances

She makes 190,000 a year for about 30 years and yet she is worth over 100,000,000. And her worth going from 31,000,000 to 101,000,000 from 2008 to 2010.

How did that happen?

I honestly cannot find out how.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. JosephZ

JosephZ Well-Known Member

+446
    Philippines
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    I doubt her net worth is anywhere near $100 million, but she made her money in real estate investments.

3. USincognito

USincognito Do u? Supporter

+12,707
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Golly. You'd think if she'd done anything untoward someone might have called the FBI or a Republican run Congress might have investigated at some point between Jan. 2011 and Jan. 2019.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • List
  4. Darkhorse

Darkhorse just horsing around

+2,573
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Simple: "lucky" investments, just like Hillary. o_O

5. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,086
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    Perhaps Madam Speaker won the lottery?

6. whatbogsends

whatbogsends Senior Veteran

+3,258
    Atheist
    You might want to dig into the "Assets" page on that site. How they calculate net worth appears to be by averaging the "Minimum" and "Maximum" values for their listed assets. Assets appear to be placed into highly arbitrary groups. Most of her assets range from $1-5 million or $5-25 million (pretty wide ranges).

I'd wager that several of her assets were in the $4 million range in 2008-9, and then went into the $6 million range in 2010 when her net worth "jumped", and they went from being projected at $3.5 million assets up to $15 million (an $11.5 million increase) assets despite only increasing in value closer to $2 million.

I'd attribute the large "leap" by Pelosi from 2008-2010 as poor methodology by the website guessing at her net worth.

7. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Programmer Extraordinaire Supporter

+7,493
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Couple obvious things you're missing... Speaker of the house makes more than the base congressional salary. They make $223,500/year.

She's been speaker more than once.

She's also held other "special" positions in congress that pay more than the base rate.

You also have to look at who she's married to
    Paul Pelosi - Wikipedia

He's a Harvard Educated businessman who's been a chair on the board for Georgetown university for a decade, and owns a real estate investment firm.

You have a lifelong member of congress who's been earning a well-over-sixfigure salary for decades, married to a guy who a prominent venture capitalist and business owner.

Are you that surprised she's rich?

As other mentioned, review the assets section and how that's calculated...not only did it claim her net worth was nearly tripled...but it also claimed it got chopped in half from 2015 to 2016.

Her actual net worth reported by various sources has her between $25 and $35 million...which is reasonable given her professional record combined with that of her husband (since jointly held properties are factored into that number)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+4,453
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Trump's tax cuts I guess?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+4,683
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Best guesses when it comes to politicians:

1. Speaking fees. Pelosi isn't a great speech giver, but her influence might work for this.

2. writing books Especially presidents. This is what made Obama his money. Probably one of the best and least corrupt things you can do as a politician to line your pockets.

3. Insider trading.

Now looking at Pelosi, she has a book, but the bulk of the money seems to come from investments, so #3 it is. Then again all the investments are in big name companies like Apple, so not much of an insider edge going on there.

Edit: I just discovered that insider trading is now supposed to be illegal from the STOCK act in 2012, TIL

10. Stanfordella

Stanfordella The will to do, the soul to dare

+7,365
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I haven't devoted time to investigating or contemplating the matter but I know Nancy Pelosi and her husband, Paul, made smart real estate investments in California, so it is to be expected they'd reap the benefits. Mr. Pelosi owns and operates a San Francisco-based real estate and venture capital investment and consulting firm.

11. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,927
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
  12. 2tim_215

2tim_215 Well-Known Member Supporter

+434
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    You ought to do a search on most politicians, past and present and would be surprised how wealthy they are and most have made investments in real estate just as Pelosi has, just as most of Trumps money has come from. Real Estate is where most of your wealthiest in individuals has come from.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  13. GlabrousDory4

GlabrousDory4 Well-Known Member

+905
    United States
    Seeker
    Married
    As I understand it she also made some use of a legal loophole that allows legislators to make trades in stocks that are also things that have business before the legislature.

That is my biggest knock on Nancy. I don't like anyone using the offices to enrich themselves over what they already have and I understand she and her husband have some significant cash reserves.

It disgusts me when people use public office (even legally) to enrich themselves.

14. civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff Well-Known Member

+4,354
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Did not know she was worth that much....no wonder she is against the left's income and wealth taxes...….

15. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+6,392
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Same old story -- nothing new under the sun.
    She scratched their backs and they scratched hers.
    MB

16. USincognito

USincognito Do u? Supporter

+12,707
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Got any evidence? Or you just telling tales out of school?

17. whatbogsends

whatbogsends Senior Veteran

+3,258
    Atheist
    A) She's not. The website posted in the OP has very shoddy methodology in calculating net worth. See posts #6 & 7.

B) Even by the website's own methodology, it shows Nancy's family (which includes her Real Estate Firm owner husband's net worth) dropped back from ~$100 million to $50 million in 2016. (again, as pointed out in posts 6 & 7), the wild fluctuations in net worth are due to a poor methodology in calculating net worth.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  18. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+15,400
    Agnostic
    Single
    Probably the same way Donald tripled his...

19. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Programmer Extraordinaire Supporter

+7,493
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    No, they don't have any evidence lol...

The underlying theme or slogan from a lot of the "anti-establishment" right-wing crew should be:
    "Getting filthy rich off of investments: It's only bad when liberals do it"