How did getting engaged affect your relationship with your parents?

Owlette

Mar 21, 2012
✟95,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering, because mine are taking it extremely hard... My fiancé is awesome and I love him, but my family feels like they’re losing me and have to “let me go” because I won’t be putting them first in my life anymore. They want to move away and can’t stand the pain of “losing me” despite the fact that I see them every day and we’ve made tons of effort to spend time with them and do stuff with them. My relationship with them has definitely changed because I’m not around as much and I rely on my fiancé more (emotionally and for regular day to day stuff) than I rely on them. They feel like I don’t need them anymore. I just don’t know how to deal with it and help them through it. :(

• Friendly
Reactions: SarahsKnight

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My parents divorced when I was in third grade. My father told me I was too young even though I was almost 23. My mother wasn't prejudiced against people from the state my fiance grew up in. And my mother didn't feel close to any of her daughters so she didn't care whether we lived near or far from home.

So I'm probably not qualified to give advice.

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Getting engaged apparently made my parents deeply consider me personally as well as my fiancee. The end result is that they've become more supportive than they were before. She and I have been engaged for slightly less than a year and it's been pretty remarkable.

Other relationships have been affected too. And, it seems, not for the better.

Upvote 0