usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works;... (Revelation 2:5)
Unless a seed falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a seed; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. All paths that come from heaven lead (back) to heaven...Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last (Adam), The Beginning and The End...has everything to do with where we are perceiving from (the process taking place within)...we are where we think we are..."Where art thou?" and "Who told you...?" are questions that pertain to us as much as they did to Adam...

Christ is The Way and The Door...to where?
to the new Jerusalem here on Earth!

Reactions: PeaceJoyLove
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No single word, but "I am" in Aramaic can be אנא הוא or אנא אנא in Eastern dialects, ܐܢܐ ܐܢܐ in Syriac, and אנה הוא in Galilean. It's a simple, exceedingly common copula phrase.

In Hebrew it's just אני as a hanging copula.

In Greek, it's simply εγω ειμι. "I am" or "I exist" (possibly "I was").

John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. ( ego eimi ) is better translated as {I existed.}

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
57 Then said the Jews unto him, 'Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?"
58 Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM."

There seems to be a lot of contention in this thread about how I posted this verse.

Let me ask those that dispute this, when someone asks

"You aren't even 50 years old yet but you've seen Abraham?"

In other words, 'Abraham lived 1948+ years ago son and there ain't no way you're that old!'

How would you answer?

But Yeshua doesn't answer with something like, 'Yeah, you're right, but I didn't mean it that way, or something similar. '

But instead he says:

Varily, Verily or Truely,, or 'the honest truth I speak to you'

Before Abraham came into existence...............

I AM

Not

I WAS in EXISTENCE

BUT

I AM

I Exist (not Existed as in past tense)

The Sentence construct is not like when he said:

As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

Before Abraham existed, I existed, still existed and will always exist

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
There seems to be a lot of contention in this thread about how I posted this verse.
So, why didn't you quote the NKJV which reads "I AM" instead of the changing verse 58 in the KJV to "I AM" when it reads "I am" ???

Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, 11:18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: 11:19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

That was the "My day" that Abraham had rejoiced to see - his own resurrection one day.

John 8:51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. 8:52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. 8:53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? 8:54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 8:55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying. 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. 8:57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Matthew 22:28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. 22:31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Before Abraham was, I AM...not the God of the dead, but of the living.

John 11:23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? 11:27 She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

John 8:37 I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you. 8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father. 8:39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. 8:40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. 8:52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Agree with Lulav that "I AM" in verse 58 is more representative than "I am" when considering the context of verses 56-58. Why she didn't use the NKJV or CJB translation instead of altering the KJV from "I am" to "I AM" we may never know. Was hoping Lulav might inform us as to why she altered the KJV in her #1 introductory post instead of quoting from the NKJV or CJB in her #123 reply when she attempted to resolve some of the confusion. As of now still no forthcoming explanation. :(

Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” (NKJV)
Yeshua said to them, “Yes, indeed! Before Avraham came into being, I AM!”
(CJB)

Anyway just because gadar doesn't agree with Lulav's "I AM" rendering of verse 58 doesn't mean he is right and Lulav is wrong. In Lulav's #123 reply she apparently maintains her belief that "I AM" is a better rendering than "I am" when considering the construct/context of John 8:56-58. :)
I AM
Not I WAS in EXISTENCE
The Sentence construct is not like when he said:
As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
Before Abraham existed, I existed, still existed and will always exist.
Maybe, some day Lulav will explain why she altered John 8:58 of the KJV from "I am" to "I AM" instead of quoting from the NKJV or the CJB. :)

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟697,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON
This thread has undergone a cleanup. Please take a moment to review our site wide rules, especially the following:

"Faith groups and individuals that deny the full, eternal deity of Jesus Christ or His incarnation whereby He, as God, took on human flesh (becoming fully God and fully man in one person), are considered non-Christians at CF. Posts that deny the full, eternal deity of Jesus Christ or His incarnation are considered non-Christian theology and are not allowed in "Christians Only" forums. Discussions in all "Christians Only" forums must be in alignment with Trinitarian beliefs."

Non-trinitarianism may only be discussed in the outreach forum.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.