How dare schools teach anything divisive!!

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Laugh at the outrage over ‘sexy seahorses’ – but there’s nothing funny about conservatives trying to rewrite history | Arwa Mahdawi

Far-Right Group Wants to Ban Kids From Reading Books on Male Seahorses, Galileo, and MLK

'Mom's for liberty'. What is it about conservatives using one word and meaning the opposite?

How dare they mention political violence and Martin Luther King jr. It's anti religion to talk about Galileo! And talking about the treatment of the original inhabitants of the Americas is anti-white! Lol!

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Laugh at the outrage over ‘sexy seahorses’ – but there’s nothing funny about conservatives trying to rewrite history | Arwa Mahdawi

Far-Right Group Wants to Ban Kids From Reading Books on Male Seahorses, Galileo, and MLK

'Mom's for liberty'. What is it about conservatives using one word and meaning the opposite?

How dare they mention political violence and Martin Luther King jr. It's anti religion to talk about Galileo! And talking about the treatment of the original inhabitants of the Americas is anti-white! Lol!

Desperation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟147,302.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

I'd have to see what is said, how they say it to have an opinion.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It's probably not so extreme as fear and desperation. It's more comfort. They want to stay comfortable.

I think sometimes about that old slogan: "Comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable."

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Seahorses breeding...I guess none of these women grew up on a farm with livestock and fowl.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,182.00
Faith
Pentecostal

Where on earth is reasonableness these days? We have totally lost our senses.

There were a couple of good points in the issues at hand, but most of them were lacking in reason. Supporting MLK and teaching about civil rights is crucial to understanding our history.

CRT teaching is not.

Understanding that Galileo was persecuted is history people. Seriously? But there is a good point on noting that the church also has done great good. History is fraught with good and bad and we should not focus on one while ignoring the other.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There has always been a touch of it.
In the early 1990s, a school in CA banned Green Eggs and Ham. (I always think of Ted Cruz)
In 2006, Charlotte's Web was banned somewhere in Kansas.

And The Grapes of Wrath, Yike that's a really bad one it's been banned several times since being banned in CA in 1939. Yup, there is bad language, etc. but it was the theme of the story that CA objected to. The poor migrant workers are being exploited by the CA farmers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

There were a couple of good points in the issues at hand, but most of them were lacking in reason. Supporting MLK and teaching about civil rights is crucial to understanding our history.

CRT teaching is not.

Understanding that Galileo was persecuted is history people. Seriously? But there is a good point on noting that the church also has done great good. History is fraught with good and bad and we should not focus on one while ignoring the other.
It's VERY important that Americans DO NOT learn about facts like this:
nswY3k4.jpg

Imagine the anarchy if Americans heard the hundreds of examples of repression of black people.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
nswY3k4.jpg

Imagine the anarchy if Americans heard the hundreds of examples of repression of black people.
Your forgetting daring to teach about the racist treatment of a large minority of Americans, is anti-white and therefore racist!!:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,182.00
Faith
Pentecostal
nswY3k4.jpg

This thread is not about CRT. I brought it up because it's not something that NEEDS to be taught. That really nice meme you posted doesn't need CRT in order to be taught it school. Good grief, do we have to have every single negative aspect and incident brought up in school in American history class? We don't bring up every single incident of any aspect if history in class. We don't have time.

Certainly there can and should be truth to history, by we don't need every single instance to prove the truth.

Geez you guys act like nothing is EVER taught about the crap that was done to black people in the past. Just nonsense.

And today's CRT is not just that being taught now is it. There has been a LOT of junk added to it. Please refer to the CRT threads for more. And let's not go there in this thread. If you wish to debate it, use the other threads.

Yes I brought it up as an example of what doesn't need to be taught.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,182.00
Faith
Pentecostal
There has always been a touch of it.
In the early 1990s, a school in CA banned Green Eggs and Ham. (I always think of Ted Cruz)
In 2006, Charlotte's Web was banned somewhere in Kansas.

And The Grapes of Wrath, Yike that's a really bad one it's been banned several times since being banned in CA in 1939. Yup, there is bad language, etc. but it was the theme of the story that CA objected to. The poor migrant workers are being exploited by the CA farmers.

Well you make a good point. I suppose we have had some if this throughout history. You have to admit it has gotten worse as time has gone on. The left and the right have done this.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,182.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I thought it was the left that was supposedly in favor of censoring everything...

No not everything. Both sides have taken a stab at it. The left is far more pervasive these days. But as shown there are things the right has done as well. Like I said we have lost our sense of reasonableness.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
This thread is not about CRT. I brought it up because it's not something that NEEDS to be taught. That really nice meme you posted doesn't need CRT in order to be taught it school.
And you are missing the point of CRT. CRT is more like an ethos; an approach to teaching history (for example) that recognizes the plight of minorities.

I'm glad you and I agree thta we don't NEED CRT to teach stuff like that meme. We as a society SHOULD just be able to recognize and highlight those struggles for people.

BUT.....we don't. So the point of whether we should or not is moot. Because we don't.

The problem is...that you DO need stuff like CRT to teach that meme because it's not getting taught, it's not getting valued, and

Good grief, do we have to have every single negative aspect and incident brought up in school in American history class? We don't bring up every single incident of any aspect if history in class. We don't have time.

Certainly there can and should be truth to history, by we don't need every single instance to prove the truth.
Why not? Or why not just, like 50-60%. You are happy that children are taught about slavery and you think America does enough because you talk about slavery? Slavery that happenned over a century ago? And nothing else happenned since then; is that the comfortable thought?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All of this presumes tender young minds are incapable of thinking for themselves and are no more than blank slates to be written upon by their educators. Such a view really demeans our youth. Even as a young lad, I knew bunk when I heard it. I work with a lot of today's adolescents, and they don't need someone screening what they learn either.

Upvote 0