Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If God created all the angels, and Lucifer was one of His brightest ones, how could he rebel? Did God make a mistake in creating Lucifer? God is perfect, so how could He make something like the angel Lucifer that would later rebel? And not only Lucifer, but 1/3 of the angels went with him. And these angels are now demons. They are the complete opposite of God's angels. They no longer have any of God's characteristics within them. They are pure evil. Did God withdraw all of His presence from them and they turned into angel opposites? Evil did not exist before this. God for knew that Adam would sin. So why not Lucifer? Was this supposed to happen? Was this a mistake? I have come to the conclusion that we cannot know the answers to this. It's probably part of God's plan for us to think about from this exact perspective and to chalk it up as "just trust in Him".

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is safe to say that Satan was on a conditional footing similar to Adam in the Garden, so that he was able to fall by his own will.

If that's the case, do you think the angels are still on that "footing"?

• Agree
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

What I think about it may not be a biblically strong argument to most, but I do not see them able to fall anymore. Just as there are an elect of men, there are an elect of angels, some to eternal life and others to eternal punishment. Whatever happened made that distinction. Those that did not fall are secured in Christ in some way by his divine power.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
God did not create angels as programmable robots. He gave them the power to choose. The ones who remained loyal to God chose to do so. There is no reason why they should not choose to remain loyal to God in the future.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I think about it may not be a biblically strong argument to most, but I do not see them able to fall anymore. Just as there are an elect of men, there are an elect of angels, some to eternal life and others to eternal punishment. Whatever happened made that distinction. Those that did not fall are secured in Christ in some way by his divine power.

When you say there are an elect of men, do you mean people that God chose in the OT, and the New such as Moses, King David, and the apostles? And would that include people today such as pastors and ministers etc?

Some to eternal life or punishment, is this Calvinism?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If God created all the angels, and Lucifer was one of His brightest ones, how could he rebel? Did God make a mistake in creating Lucifer? God is perfect, so how could He make something like the angel Lucifer that would later rebel? And not only Lucifer, but 1/3 of the angels went with him. And these angels are now demons. They are the complete opposite of God's angels. They no longer have any of God's characteristics within them. They are pure evil. Did God withdraw all of His presence from them and they turned into angel opposites? Evil did not exist before this. God for knew that Adam would sin. So why not Lucifer? Was this supposed to happen? Was this a mistake? I have come to the conclusion that we cannot know the answers to this. It's probably part of God's plan for us to think about from this exact perspective and to chalk it up as "just trust in Him".
I lean towards the idea that angels were created but they were not shown God's face. Having been shown creation, they were asked if they would serve God obediently. Those who said yes experienced the Beatific Vision. These angels will not rebel against God because they cannot rebel against God. They have seen His face and they can only serve and obey Him.

But the angels who said no were cast out. They have never seen God's face. My sense of them is they do not seek redemption and do not especially want it.

It is safe to say that Satan was on a conditional footing similar to Adam in the Garden, so that he was able to fall by his own will.
I don't think I agree with that at all.

Eve ate the fruit because she was deceived by the serpent. Adam did the same because he was also deceived. In each case, somebody else played a role in their fall. It was their fault... but not entirely their fault.

The fallen angels rebelled of their own accord. They could have served and obeyed God. But they chose not to of their own free will. I think their rebellion is of a completely different order than Adam and Eve's.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they are, Lucifer is a strong "cautionary tale" to discourage further revolts. :eek:

They aren't fallen as a [species?]. They don't have the same inborn inclination to sin that we are born with.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
When you say there are an elect of men, do you mean people that God chose in the OT, and the New such as Moses, King David, and the apostles? And would that include people today such as pastors and ministers etc?

Some to eternal life or punishment, is this Calvinism?

Yes, God did choose people in the OT such as Moses, David, and the apostles to eternal life. Yes, this would include people today such as pastors and ministers.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think I agree with that at all.

Eve ate the fruit because she was deceived by the serpent. Adam did the same because he was also deceived. In each case, somebody else played a role in their fall. It was their fault... but not entirely their fault.

The fallen angels rebelled of their own accord. They could have served and obeyed God. But they chose not to of their own free will. I think their rebellion is of a completely different order than Adam and Eve's.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me on this.

Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't expect everyone to agree with me on this.
I can understand that. But just because we don't agree doesn't mean you're wrong, of course. I'm just saying I see some differences between Adam and the devil's situations.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can understand that. But just because we don't agree doesn't mean you're wrong, of course. I'm just saying I see some differences between Adam and the devil's situations.

I see differences too. For an example, I believe Adam was under a covenant agreement, but not any angel. Adam's race was redeemable, God did not permit angels to be redeemed. So on.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Cement

Mar 24, 2018
Austin
✟55,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
God did not create angels as programmable robots. He gave them the power to choose. The ones who remained loyal to God chose to do so. There is no reason why they should not choose to remain loyal to God in the future.

I often think why did God not create me to be an Angel so that I would not have to suffer the pain we humans feel and be with God from creation but then I realize that I may have been the one who rebelled and was never given another chance. Please remember to thank Jesus every single second you live because we as Christians are so grateful and blessed to know our Lord and be forgiven. Praise Jesus thank you for cleansing my sins!

Reactions: LouiseChar
Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I lean towards the idea that angels were created but not shown God's face. Having been shown creation, they were asked if they would serve God obediently. Those who said yes experienced the Beatific Vision. These angels will not rebel against God because they cannot rebel against God. They have seen His face and they can only serve and obey Him.

But the angels who said no were cast out. They have never seen God's face. My sense of them is they do not seek redemption and do not especially want it.

I've never heard this. Interesting.

They both rebelled but Lucifer wanted to become God, Adam disobeyed God. I agree this is different, one being severe to the highest degree.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I often think why did God not create me to be an Angel so that I would not have to suffer the pain we humans feel and be with God from creation but then I realize that I may have been the one who rebelled and was never given another chance. Please remember to thank Jesus every single second you live because we as Christians are so grateful and blessed to know our Lord and be forgiven. Praise Jesus thank you for cleansing my sins!

I read recently that when humans go to heaven, we will be above the angels in status. No idea how that assumption was formed, but this is what was claimed.

And yes, praise God and Jesus! We are the elect too right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cement

Mar 24, 2018
Austin
✟55,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I read recently that when humans go to heaven, we will be above the angels in status. No idea how that assumption was formed, but this is what was claimed.

And yes, praise God and Jesus! We are the elect too right?

I dont know how God elects honestly. I dont think its because of some kind of works we do. Honestly the biggest mystery to me is asking why God loves me? If thinking as if I were in his place I would not even consider myself worthy of such love :)

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If they are, Lucifer is a strong "cautionary tale" to discourage further revolts. :eek:

They aren't fallen as a [species?]. They don't have the same inborn inclination to sin that we are born with.
St. Paul wrote "know ye not that we shall judge angels?" I think one reason for that is because the angels only know one mode of being. They're either all good or all evil.

But mankind's slide into sin isn't absolute. We're not completely ruined. At a minimum, we are sinful but can still be used by God to achieve His purposes. No angel can make that claim.

We know good from personal experience and also sin from personal experience. Again, no angel can match that claim.

We can choose freely. Angels can't choose freely.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The traditional Christian reply has ever been that with their great intelligence, the fallen angels could see the consequences of their rebellion, and chose to rebel anyway.

Don't forget: We live in time, remembering some events as past and anticipating others as future.

God sees everything in His timeless NOW, and is the only one who sees reality as it truly is.

Upvote 0