Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry I have never really understood why

"Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Why Theotokos and not Christokos yet She only Carried Jesus and not God the Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit? Even if Jesus is God she was only given the honor to Carry God the Son.

Why "Holy"

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The Lord is with thee.
pray for us sinners,
Amen.

Why Theotokos and not Christokos yet She only Carried Jesus and not God the Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit? Even if Jesus is God she was only given the honor to Carry God the Son.

Why "Holy"
It's an acknowledgement that she is blessed. We aren't blessing her. It's a request that she pray for us. Nothing more.

Upvote 0

Linet Kihonge

Shalom
Aug 18, 2015
Nairobi
✟9,980.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It's an acknowledgement that she is blessed. We aren't blessing her. It's a request that she pray for us. Nothing more.

How comes you ask her? I'm just having trouble putting two and two together.

I'm not doing this to place anyone on the defense I just want to clear up my personal views on the same. So do you think she's somewhere in heaven receiving all the prayer requests of the saints? If so, who in heaven receives prayer requests departed saints/Lord's servants or his angels or the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How comes you ask her? I'm just having trouble putting two and two together.

I'm not doing this to place anyone on the defense I just want to clear up my personal views on the same. So do you think she's somewhere in heaven receiving all the prayer requests of the saints? If so, who in heaven receives prayer requests departed saints/Lord's servants or his angels or the Holy Spirit?
I guess the theory is it's like a large corporation. Saints deal with most of the incomming calls. The great saints, your Marys, Peters, Jameses and so on deal with the trickier stuff, and the really serious stuff goes to God.

A lot of it's tradition. Even if Saints don't actually take part in the prayer process, I'm sure an omniscient and benevolent God can make sense of our flawed, but well intentioned practices.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess the theory is it's like a large corporation. Saints deal with most of the incomming calls. The great saints, your Marys, Peters, Jameses and so on deal with the trickier stuff, and the really serious stuff goes to God.

A lot of it's tradition. Even if Saints don't actually take part in the prayer process, I'm sure an omniscient and benevolent God can make sense of our flawed, but well intentioned practices.
Oh, it's just a theory. Didn't realize...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,885.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The Lord is with thee.
pray for us sinners,
Amen.

Why "Holy"

http://www.drcm.org/divine-call-archive/566-is-the-hail-mary-prayer-biblical

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Linet Kihonge

Shalom
Aug 18, 2015
Nairobi
✟9,980.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Pray for us sinners: Isn't consistent with what I read in the scriptures.

Philippians 4:6,7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Ephesians 6:18, "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people." (I would like to believe it's believers praying for other believers around the world in their present times).

Daniel 9:17, "Now, our God, hear the prayers and petitions of your servant. For your sake, Lord, look with favor on your desolate sanctuary."

All these people never asked anyone to present their requests to God but instead asked (asked others to present) their requests to God directly. Even though none of us are deserving of the LORD's presence we can always go before the LORD with 100% acknowledgement on the same.

If the Lord never died for our sins we would have used lambs etc. but he came so that man would be free and free indeed. His blood covered our sins and with Hebrews 8 we can confidently present our prayers and petitions to the Most High King.

My concern for most Catholics are these little bridges they've built to access God (not saying it's wrong acknowledge the saints) but approaching God doesn't demand the kind of acknowledgment you've given to the departed ones.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pray for us sinners: Isn't consistent with what I read in the scriptures.

Philippians 4:6,7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Ephesians 6:18, "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people." (I would like to believe it's believers praying for other believers around the world in their present times).

Daniel 9:17, "Now, our God, hear the prayers and petitions of your servant. For your sake, Lord, look with favor on your desolate sanctuary."

All these people never asked anyone to present their requests to God but instead asked (asked others to present) their requests to God directly. Even though none of us are deserving of the LORD's presence we can always go before the LORD with 100% acknowledgement on the same.

If the Lord never died for our sins we would have used lambs etc. but he came so that man would be free and free indeed. His blood covered our sins and with Hebrews 8 we can confidently present our prayers and petitions to the Most High King.

My concern for most Catholics are these little bridges they've built to access God (not saying it's wrong acknowledge the saints) but approaching God doesn't demand the kind of acknowledgment you've given to the departed ones.
Great. Don't be Catholic then. End of problem.

Reactions: Monk Brendan
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,885.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thank you for your concern but I'll be just fine.

The "little bridge" term you use is your term and does not reflect Catholic teaching. Maybe there is your misunderstanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Linet Kihonge

Shalom
Aug 18, 2015
Nairobi
✟9,980.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your concern but I'll be just fine.

The "little bridge" term you use is your term and does not reflect Catholic teaching. Maybe there is your misunderstanding.

Okay... I will accept the accusation (misunderstanding) so how comes Catholics make prayer requests to departed saints?

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great. Don't be Catholic then. End of problem.
That's how I ended all the problems it was causing me.
And may I remark how charitable it is of you to overcome your devotion to the Great Commission to show some compassion and accommodate this person.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,885.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay... I will accept the accusation (misunderstanding)
I was not accusing you, just correcting your misunderstanding.

so how comes Catholics make prayer requests to departed saints?

one of many reasons: because of St. James tells us (it WAS in the link I provided) that prayers of the righteous are very powerful. I know there are many who say the dead people cannot hear your prayers. Well, if someone is baptized, they are incorporated into Christ's body. So all baptized people are connected to each other through Jesus Christ. Our physical death does not cut that tie.

Upvote 0