• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured How come good Friday is only two days from Easter Sunday?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Andrew4jesus, Apr 25, 2017.

1. ImAHebrew

ImAHebrew Active Member Supporter

+36
    Christian
    Private
    Shalom 1stcenturylady, this is what we are trying to resolve. There is a conflict between Matthew, Mark, and Luke's account versus the timeline of John's account. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it, and it just may be someone like you that will resolve it. Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

2. ImAHebrew

ImAHebrew Active Member Supporter

+36
    Christian
    Private
    Shalom Der Alter, you need to express to us how BOTH of those FEASTS had "megas" days. It just wasn't the Feast of Tabernacles, it was ALSO the Feast of Unleavened Bread. If both of those feasts have "megas" days, and the Feast of Unleavened Bread's "megas" day is a Sabbath, then why can't the Feast of Tabernacles "megas" day be a Sabbath also? Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.​

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Junior Member

+61
    Christian
    Married
    No! Because Jesus was killed, and had to remain hanging according to (1, Roman crucifixion, and, according to (2, the Jews' initial own, wishes and wangling and conniving.

And also according to (3, the Law, "When you hanged" someone "mid-afternoon" like the Passover was killed mid-afternoon, "you could not leave him ALL NIGHT hanged, but before the break of day must take him down the pole, and That Selfsame Bone-Day must bury him" ---before the sun went down! That was God's Law through Moses.

THREE things that prove Jesus' body could NOT before it, <<be taken down from the cross because the next day was a High day>>. That's where everyone goes off the track, off "the Passover of Yahweh" Way which Our Passover never left, but followed every step.

<<That next Day the 15th, the Feast of Unleavened Bread>>, "was great day of that sabbath ... since the Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath was going on."

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

+61
    Christian
    Married
    Why must ImAHebrew always be begged for his verses? Because his accreditation is triple A or higher?

Let's have your texts. ImAHebrew, <<both of those feasts have "megas" days>>. <<the Feast of Tabernacles "megas" day>>.

Let's see them OT; and let's see them, NT. Tripple A just does not do it for us.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

+61
    Christian
    Married
    I'm comforted by some strange conviction, 1stcenturylady knows better than to be bothered or take offense.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

+61
    Christian
    Married
    A Friday burial is not true? ACCORDING to the Scriptures is not true?!
    Well!
    Has the world gone mad?

7. AFrazier

AFrazier Well-Known Member Supporter

+319
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The hagigah of the passover on the 15th, if you read tract Pesachim, is confined to the 15th. So my premise holds plenty of water. But I do appreciate you taking the time to at least look into it. It's commendable. By all means, keep reading and researching.

8. AFrazier

+319
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    He didn't die with the lambs if the disciples made ready the passover for the last supper, which the scriptures state they did.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

+61
    Christian
    Married
    <<Exactly WHEN>>? Not exactly finished <<buried...24 hours later on the next day>> or the day after <<He died on>>.
    But don't ask me, I'm not the one who wrote 2Moses or any of the 4 Gospels. Even though I made the most <exact> synopsis of them ever, I must say, uhum

10. AFrazier

+319
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Yes. The black and white text is that Jesus died on the 15th. The disciples made ready the passover for the last supper. That's the 14th. Jesus died the next day. And I don't accept a contradiction between John and the Synoptics, so John harmonizes with the Synoptics. He doesn't contradict them. Jesus died on the 15th.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

+61
    Christian
    Married
    No no no no ... <exactly>! Then, after this Great Sabbath had begun and was ongoing, the Jews went to Pilate and asked... that's a little better now...

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

+61
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, and PROSPECTIVELY, in the broad daylight the following morning, would on this day of days for the Jews, advertise who really is boss in Israel, Pharaoh Pilate and traitor king Herod.

13. AFrazier

+319
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Well, for one, we're harmonizing, not contradicting, correct? At least MY goal is to harmonize. And if we're harmonizing, and not looking for a contradiction, then the start of supper occurs between verse 1 and verse 2.

As it says ... before the feast ... he loved them to the end (or 'to the fullest' by a better rendering). And at the appointed hour, when even was come, he came with the rest of the disciples. And they ate. And supper being ended ...

You'll note that John doesn't mention the start of supper, nor the eating of it. Neither does he give a time context for the statement "before the feast" to specify if Jesus had already arrived at the goodman's house, was on the way, etc.

Honestly, people have read way too much into that passage. It is by no means a cut and dry demonstration of a last supper prior to the passover. It is no more than a statement that Jesus loved his disciples to the fullest prior to the passover. And that, by no means, defines the last supper itself.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

+61
    Christian
    Married
    Correct. Seems I haven't explained too badly.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

+61
    Christian
    Married
    Good! Obviously you perceived well!

16. AFrazier

+319
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    With respect, this problem was solved long ago by men of good reputation, like Alfred Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah. Good book. I don't suggest you read it, though. It might make your head explode.

17. AFrazier

+319
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    That's why part of this discussion went off on a tangent for while concerning the count to Pentecost. Historically, the count began on the 16th, which was the day of first fruits and the waving of the sheaf. Thus, a 15th crucifixion is followed by a Saturday the 16th first fruits and waving of the sheaf, beginning the count to Pentecost, making that Sabbath a high day, which is almost precisely how John puts it.

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

+61
    Christian
    Married
    You actually did. Fire away then, let's hear what's the <<fatal flaw in my thinking and timeline.>>

19. AFrazier

+319
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    That's precisely what some of these people are trying to do. They are trying to put his death before the eating of the passover, when three gospels explicitly state that he kept the passover at the goodman's house with his disciples. The sooner we all acknowledge that Jesus kept the passover, as three gospels say he did, the sooner we can all get on the same page and be in one accord.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  20. AFrazier

+319
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Friday the 15th, unless you're conceding to a contradiction. The disciples made ready the passover.