How come good Friday is only two days from Easter Sunday?

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟107,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Shalom Jan001, I was wondering if you could explain why the Gentiles did not ask Paul to meet with them on the NEXT day, instead of waiting until the NEXT Sabbath:

Acts 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

Why didn't they ask Paul to tell them about it tomorrow on Sunday? Or why didn't Paul just tell them, Hey Gentiles, we are meeting tomorrow on the 1st day of the week, come and hear about it then? Why make the Gentiles WAIT until the NEXT Sabbath? Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

These Gentiles who were present in the synagogues were converts to Judaism. These Gentiles were not Christians.

Acts 13:43
And when the meeting of the synagogue broke up, many Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who spoke to them and urged them to continue in the grace of God. rsv

The Jews who practiced Judaism and the Christian Gentiles did not worship together in the Jewish synagogues. The Jews allowed Paul and Barnabas to enter their synagogues and speak to them because they were known to be Jews.

Jewish men did not associate with uncircumcised men (Gentiles) and they also did not associate with Samaritan men even though they were circumcised.

John 4:9
The Samaritan woman said to him, “How is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samar′ia?” For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans. rsv

Matthew 15:22-27
And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and cried, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely possessed by a demon.” 23 But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, “Send her away, for she is crying after us.” 24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” 25 But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” 26 And he answered, “It is not fair to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” 27 She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” rsv

Acts 11:2-3
So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcision party criticized him, 3 saying, “Why did you go to uncircumcised men and eat with them? rsv

Genesis 43:32
They served him (Hebrew) by himself, and them by themselves, and the Egyptians who ate with him by themselves, because the Egyptians might not eat bread with the Hebrews, for that is an abomination to the Egyptians. rsv

Paul wanted to take Timothy with him to preach to the Jews who practiced Judiasm. What did Paul, a well-known Jew, think he had do in order to make it possible for Timothy (a Gentile Christian) to accompany him among the Jews? He circumcised him!

Acts 16:3
Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him; and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews that were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. rsv
May God bless you and your family. :)

Upvote 0

AFrazier

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟159,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have no quarrel with Josephus. I am merely stating that one person's perspective of historical events may not be the complete story. We can surmise this by reading about the one and only crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ from three or four different writers' perspectives in the gospels. :)

Those "outside of Christ" believe in vain that the "Old Covenant still stands".

I don't plan to get into a discussion on this thread about this topic, but I will explain some Scriptures which I think support my belief on this topic.

2000 years ago, Jesus Christ made a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. Jesus' new covenant made the first/old covenant obsolete, It is no longer in force. By the end of 70 A.D. God had taken away the temple and the animal sacrifices and He had made circumcision obsolete. Circumcision no longer has any purpose in His kingdom, but it was a requirement for all Israelite males for membership in His Old Covenant.

Genesis 17:14
Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.” rsv​

The ten tribes of the house of Israel had scattered throughout the whole known world and had intermarried with Gentiles long before Jesus was born. Jesus' new covenant makes it possible for both the Jews (house of Judah which includes Benjamin) and the ten lost tribes of Israel's descendants (Gentiles) to become His own people.

Jeremiah 31:31-33
“Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant which they broke, though I was their husband, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. rsv

Hebrews 8:13
In speaking of a new covenant he treats the first as obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. rsv

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. rsv

Romans 11:19-21
You will say, “Branches (Jews) were broken off so that I (Gentile) might be grafted in.” 20 That is true. They (the Jews) were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast only through faith. So do not become proud, but stand in awe. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches (Jews), neither will he spare you (Gentile). rsv

Romans 9:30-33;10:1-4
What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, righteousness through faith; 31 but that Israel who pursued the righteousness which is based on law did not succeed in fulfilling that law. 32 Why? Because they did not pursue it through faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, 33 as it is written,
“Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone that will make men stumble,
a rock that will make them fall;
and he who believes in him will not be put to shame.”
10:1-4 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them is that they (Israel/Jews) may be saved. 2 I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but it is not enlightened. 3 For, being ignorant of the righteousness that comes from God, and seeking to establish their own, they (Israel/Jews) did not submit to God’s righteousness. 4 For Christ is the end (finisher) of the law (of Moses), that every one who has faith (in Jesus Christ) may be justified.
Christ ended the law of Moses by finishing it/fulfilling it/completing it and that is why the first/old covenant is obsolete/no longer in force.

Christ's new covenant is now in force for all people for all time. Luke 1:31-33

Under Jesus' new covenant, it is "belief and Baptism" and not circumcision which saves a person and makes him a member of the people of God.

Mark 16:16
He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. rsv​

Galatians 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is of any avail, but faith working through love. rsv

Galatians 6:15
For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. rsv​
I understand the New Covenant/Old Covenant dynamic quite well, but I appreciate your effort all the same. The Old Covenant is in force for anyone not in Christ. It is the accuser. If you are not in Christ, then you are guilty under the law. It takes being in Christ to be removed from that condition of guilt due to the shift in covenants.

Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟107,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
YOU said yourself that the 10 Commandments were before the other Laws. "The Ten Commandments preceded the Law of Moses. The Ten Commandments are based on the natural law which acknowledges God as Creator of all things. "

The Sabbath has NEVER changed to Sunday. Maybe you Romans changed it. Also, BTW, will you be celebrating Sukkot too? Zechariah 14:16-17

Jesus Christ changed the formal worship and rest day from Saturday to Sunday. He can do this and He did because He is Lord of the Sabbath! Mark 2:27-28, John 21:25, 2 Thessalonians 2:15

The "Romans" simply obey what Jesus Christ commanded. :)

"And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He (Jesus Christ) taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration." Justin Martyr (First Apology Chapter LXVII.—Weekly worship of the Christians. [A.D. 155]).

The Letter of Barnabas
Since, therefore, the days are evil, and Satan possesses the power of this world, we ought to give heed to ourselves, and diligently inquire into the ordinances of the Lord. Fear and patience, then, are helpers of our faith; and long-suffering and continence are things which fight on our side. While these remain pure in what respects the Lord, Wisdom, Understanding, Science, and Knowledge rejoice along with them. For He hath revealed to us by all the prophets that He needs neither sacrifices, nor burnt-offerings, nor oblations, saying thus, “What is the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me, saith the Lord? I am full of burnt-offerings, and desire not the fat of lambs, and the blood of bulls and goats, not when ye come to appear before Me: for who hath required these things at your hands? Tread no more My courts, not though ye bring with you fine flour. Incense is a vain abomination unto Me, and your new moons and sabbaths I cannot endure.” He has therefore abolished these things, that the new law of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is without the yoke of necessity, might have a human oblation (The Epistle of Barnabas 1 Chapter II.—The Jewish sacrifices are now abolished.)

"Further, He says to them, “Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure.” Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens." (The Epistle of Barnabas Chapter XV.—The false and the true Sabbath. [A.D. 74]).

Why do you think that Scripture records that the Christians met together on the first day of the week?

Acts 20:7
On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the morrow; and he prolonged his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that contributions need not be made when I come.
Paul wanted contributions for the needy to be collected every week during Sunday worship so that he could then take the contributions with him after he finished preaching to them when he visited their church. His time was limited and he did not desire for them to take time out for collections while he was present with them.
No, I will not be celebrating Sukkot. The OT first/old covenant is obsolete, no longer in force. I am under the new covenant of Jesus Christ!

Hebrews 8:13a
In speaking of a new covenant he treats the first as obsolete.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟107,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just like, for example Psalm 23 and the Book of Jonas, have relevancy for NT believers.

"Nissan" has no relevance to most Christians unless they're talking about cars or trucks or SUVs. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟107,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Unacceptable because unscriptural. No thanks!!!

Romans 2:13-15
For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. 14 When Gentiles who have not the law do by nature what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or perhaps excuse them rsv​

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jesus Christ changed the formal worship and rest day from Saturday to Sunday. He can do this and He did because He is Lord of the Sabbath! Mark 2:27-28, John 21:25, 2 Thessalonians 2:15

The "Romans" simply obey what Jesus Christ commanded. :)

"And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He (Jesus Christ) taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration." (First Apology Chapter LXVII.—Weekly worship of the Christians. [A.D. 155]).

The Letter of Barnabas
Since, therefore, the days are evil, and Satan possesses the power of this world, we ought to give heed to ourselves, and diligently inquire into the ordinances of the Lord. Fear and patience, then, are helpers of our faith; and long-suffering and continence are things which fight on our side. While these remain pure in what respects the Lord, Wisdom, Understanding, Science, and Knowledge rejoice along with them. For He hath revealed to us by all the prophets that He needs neither sacrifices, nor burnt-offerings, nor oblations, saying thus, “What is the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me, saith the Lord? I am full of burnt-offerings, and desire not the fat of lambs, and the blood of bulls and goats, not when ye come to appear before Me: for who hath required these things at your hands? Tread no more My courts, not though ye bring with you fine flour. Incense is a vain abomination unto Me, and your new moons and sabbaths I cannot endure.” He has therefore abolished these things, that the new law of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is without the yoke of necessity, might have a human oblation (The Epistle of Barnabas 1 Chapter II.—The Jewish sacrifices are now abolished.)

"Further, He says to them, “Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure.” Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens." (The Epistle of Barnabas Chapter XV.—The false and the true Sabbath. [A.D. 74]).
Why do you think that Scripture records that the Christians met together on the first day of the week?

Paul wanted contributions for the needy to be collected every week during Sunday worship so that he could then take the contributions with him after he finished preaching to them when he visited their church. His time was limited and he did not desire for them to take time out for collections while he was present with them.
No, I will not be celebrating Sukkot. The OT first/old covenant is obsolete, no longer in force. I am under the new covenant of Jesus Christ!

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+21:25&version=RSV
You are very confused. NONE of those scriptural passages say anything regarding Yeshua changing the Sabbath day. The epistle of Barnabas is not Canon. It says EVERYONE (including ALL the Nations) will be keeping Sukkot in the future. Paul was collection on Sunday because he COULD because there can be no money transaction ON THE SABBATH day. Paul also kept all the OT feast days as did all the Apostles (even after Yeshua ascended). SO it is quite evident that Jewish believers remained. Yes, Sunday as we all know has that significance but it never was, is, or ever will be THE Sabbath. [Staff edit].
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+21:25&version=RSV

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟107,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I understand the New Covenant/Old Covenant dynamic quite well, but I appreciate your effort all the same. The Old Covenant is in force for anyone not in Christ. It is the accuser. If you are not in Christ, then you are guilty under the law. It takes being in Christ to be removed from that condition of guilt due to the shift in covenants.

I believe it is the law of Christ instead of the Law of Moses which is the accuser of all people today.

The non-Jews were never under the Old Covenant and Christ's New Covenant laws are for all peoples whether they are Jews or non-Jews by nationality. The spirit of the OT Ten Commandments is what is important in the NT law of Christ.

Mark 12:28-32
And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the first of all?” 29 Jesus answered, “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one; 30 and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” 32 And the scribe said to him, “You are right, Teacher; you have truly said that he is one, and there is no other but he;​

Luke 10:25-28
And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 He said to him, “What is written in the law? How do you read?” 27 And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” 28 And he said to him, “You have answered right; do this, and you will live.”

Romans 13:8-10
8 Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this sentence, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. rsv

Matthew 19:16-19
And behold, one came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?” 17 And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 He said to him, “Which?” And Jesus said, “You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, 19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” rsv

James 2:08-11
If you really fulfil the royal law (of Christ), according to the scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well. 9 But if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law (New Covenant) but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. 11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” said also, “Do not kill.” If you do not commit adultery but do kill, you have become a transgressor of the law (New Covenant law of Christ) rsv

1 Corinthians 9:21-22
To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews; to those under the law I became as one under the law—though not being myself under the law (of Moses)—that I might win those under the law. 21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law—not being without law toward God but under the law of Christ—that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. rsv

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I do not know your Hebrew words. Sorry.

Yom HaBikkurim...day of firstfruits...the morning after the Sabbath day of Passover/ULB...the day Yeshua fulfilled it and rose from the dead.

Upvote 0

ImAHebrew

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟67,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
These Gentiles who were present in the synagogues were converts to Judaism. These Gentiles were not Christians.

Acts 13:43
And when the meeting of the synagogue broke up, many Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who spoke to them and urged them to continue in the grace of God. rsv

The Jews who practiced Judaism and the Christian Gentiles did not worship together in the Jewish synagogues. The Jews allowed Paul and Barnabas to enter their synagogues and speak to them because they were known to be Jews.

Jewish men did not associate with uncircumcised men (Gentiles) and they also did not associate with Samaritan men even though they were circumcised.

John 4:9
The Samaritan woman said to him, “How is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samar′ia?” For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans. rsv

Matthew 15:22-27
And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and cried, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely possessed by a demon.” 23 But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, “Send her away, for she is crying after us.” 24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” 25 But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” 26 And he answered, “It is not fair to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” 27 She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” rsv

Acts 11:2-3
So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcision party criticized him, 3 saying, “Why did you go to uncircumcised men and eat with them? rsv

Genesis 43:32
They served him (Hebrew) by himself, and them by themselves, and the Egyptians who ate with him by themselves, because the Egyptians might not eat bread with the Hebrews, for that is an abomination to the Egyptians. rsv

Paul wanted to take Timothy with him to preach to the Jews who practiced Judiasm. What did Paul, a well-known Jew, think he had do in order to make it possible for Timothy (a Gentile Christian) to accompany him among the Jews? He circumcised him!

Acts 16:3
Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him; and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews that were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. rsv
May God bless you and your family. :)

Shalom Jan001, you should have read just a couple of verses further, as the very next Sabbath the Gentiles, hearing the Word of Elohim, were glad and glorified Elohim, and BELIEVED. (Acts 13:48) When do you think the Apostle Paul started meeting with Gentile believers on the 1st day of the week, instead of the Sabbath like he did here in Acts 13:44? And you may want to try and figure out why Paul was converting Greeks from his preaching on the Sabbath in Acts 17:2-12 & Acts 18:4. So again, when do you think Paul was converted to remembering the 1st day of the week to keep it holy? And finally, why did James in making his decision about the Gentiles, mention that Moses, of old times, has been read in the Synagogues EVERY Sabbath (Acts 15:21)? Why worry about Moses being read in the Synagogues every Sabbath, if the Sabbath is being done away with, and they were meeting on the 1st day of the week with the Gentiles? Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The non-Jews were never under the Old Covenant and Christ's New Covenant laws are for all peoples whether they are Jews or non-Jews by nationality.

When thinking your way, which is to assume <<the Old Covenant>> was God's Covenant, your statement is a contradiction in terms.

However, thinking, keeping in mind God NEVER made an <<old covenant>> but man's only covenant ever, has been an, or the, <<old covenant>>, there is no contradiction in saying, The non-Jews were never under the old covenant unless they were Hebrew proselytes and with Israel, made vain promises.
But Christ's New Covenant with Christ's New Covenant Law, HIMSELF, is <<for all peoples whether they are Jews or non-Jews by nationality>> or whether they lived before or after Christ.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shalom Jan001, you should have read just a couple of verses further, as the very next Sabbath the Gentiles, hearing the Word of Elohim, were glad and glorified Elohim, and BELIEVED. (Acts 13:48) When do you think the Apostle Paul started meeting with Gentile believers on the 1st day of the week, instead of the Sabbath like he did here in Acts 13:44? And you may want to try and figure out why Paul was converting Greeks from his preaching on the Sabbath in Acts 17:2-12 & Acts 18:4. So again, when do you think Paul was converted to remembering the 1st day of the week to keep it holy? And finally, why did James in making his decision about the Gentiles, mention that Moses, of old times, has been read in the Synagogues EVERY Sabbath (Acts 15:21)? Why worry about Moses being read in the Synagogues every Sabbath, if the Sabbath is being done away with, and they were meeting on the 1st day of the week with the Gentiles? Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.
Why did James mention the Jews hearing Moses every Sabbath? Because the Jews already knew the scriptures and did not need special instructions as did the formerly pagan Gentiles. These special instructions for gentile believers had only four points which were repeated three times; Acts 15:20, Acts 15:29 and Acts 21:25. Twice Paul writes that they gave no command for gentiles to obey the law; Acts 15:24 and Acts 21:25.
Acts 15:20-21
(20) But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
(21) For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.
Acts 15:24
(24) Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:
Acts 15:29
(29) That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Acts 21:24-25
(24) Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.
(25) As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.
The Sabbath was given exclusively to the children of Israel as an everlasting/perpetual covenant.
Exodus 31:16
(16) Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
Leviticus 24:8
(8) Every Sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.
Note in Lev 31;16 God said "the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant." God did not say "all mankind shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant."
Anyone who chooses to may observe the Sabbath but all mankind is not commanded to do so?

Isaiah 56:4-5
(4) For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
(5) Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yom HaBikkurim...day of firstfruits...the morning after the Sabbath day of Passover/ULB...the day Yeshua fulfilled it and rose from the dead.
Please show me where in the Old Testament Passover or Unleavened bread is ever called a Sabbath? Whatever any NT writer might have said they did not have the authority to designate a day as a Sabbath unless God had already done so.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Please show me where in the Old Testament Passover or Unleavened bread is ever called a Sabbath? Whatever any NT writer might have said they did not have the authority to designate a day as a Sabbath unless God had already done so.

The 7th day Sabbath DURING ULB. Leviticus 23:11

Upvote 0

ImAHebrew

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟67,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why did James mention the Jews hearing Moses every Sabbath?
Shalom Der Alter, you have confused me here with your question. I thought James was speaking to the Gentiles about hearing Moses read.

Acts 15:19-21 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to Elohim. 20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and [from] fornication, and [from] things strangled, and [from] blood. 21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath day.

So you think verse 21 has James informing the Jews that Moses is preached in the Synagogues every Sabbath? I thought James was informing the Gentiles that they also could now start to hear Moses read every Sabbath, and is this not what happened? Why didn't James inform them that they would be hearing the Word of Elohim every Sunday morning? You are trying to make it appear that the Gentiles were not going to be fellowshipping with the Jews EVERY Sabbath to hear Moses read? That was a given and this is why James confirms that they would be hearing Moses read every Sabbath in the Synagogues. Those four necessary requirements/commands were given so that the Gentiles COULD come in and fellowship with the Jewish Believers every Sabbath.

You also state this:
God did not say "all mankind shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant."
Do you not realize that the Sabbath is a SIGN as to WHO His People are (Exodus 31:17). The Sabbath is a SIGNET RING that His People wear (Ezekiel 20:20) so that they may KNOW that Yahweh is Elohim. Once you start to wear the Sabbath, by remembering to keep it holy, you prove you are His People. And even the Gentiles (Strangers) who join themselves to Yahweh, by keeping the Sabbath and not polluting it, they will be brought INTO His House (Isaiah 56:6-7).

Eventually, ALL will wear the Sabbath:

Isaiah 66:23 And it shall come to pass, [that] from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before Me, saith Yahweh.

So Der Alter, you may want to "alter" your opinion of the Sabbath, and start to "hear" Moses read on it, as Yeshua said, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded by one rising from the dead." Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ImAHebrew

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟67,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Shalom Der Alter, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, then it is probably a duck. Here is the Sabbath command:

Leviticus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day [is] the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work [therein]: it [is] the sabbath of Yahweh in all your dwellings.

So, what MAKES the Sabbath a Sabbath? Isn't it to have a HOLY CONVOCATION, and do NO WORK? Well look here, look at this Sabbath:

Leviticus 23:7 In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

So this 1st Day of Unleavened Bread is walking like the Sabbath, quacking like the Sabbath, and looking like the Sabbath, as it is a Sabbath. Would you not agree? Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Leviticus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day [is] the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work [therein]: it [is] the sabbath of Yahweh in all your dwellings.

So, what MAKES the Sabbath a Sabbath? Isn't it to have a HOLY CONVOCATION, and do NO WORK? Well look here, look at this Sabbath:

Leviticus 23:7 In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

So this 1st Day of Unleavened Bread is walking like the Sabbath, quaking like the Sabbath, and looking like the Sabbath, as it is a Sabbath. Would you not agree? Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

On the 7th day, NO work is to be done while on the 1st day of ULB, no SERVILE work is to be done.

Upvote 0