How come good Friday is only two days from Easter Sunday?

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟109,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why it sounds to me you do not believe a literal three days and three nights in the heart of the earth, and apologise for it? I should say you can thank God for it were it but your belief! See, I believe exactly a literal three days and three nights in the earth ... but not with "the heart" taken out of it, the BONE of the WHOLE matter being side stepped! With "the heart" (literally) taken out, all that remains is the 'literal', the "three days and three nights" and "the earth", and there is nothing that restrains or keeps speculations and surmising in check -- nothing of salvation value -- nothing of spiritual value -- no truth, or of Jesus Christ, remaining.

The Passover in the Book of Exodus is not dead letter data. It is the Good News of the Saviour, Jesus Christ the Redeemer of his People, the Church of True Believers.

Have you discovered Him in the "three days and three nights in the heart of the earth". Does your interpretation accommodate Christ, or rather, Does Jesus Christ accommodate your theory of the Passover of Yahweh?

Now allow me my humble witness. No theory of no one have I not tried. Not one revealed to me Christ my Saviour, Specifically in his SUFFERING. Now read what The RISEN Jesus spoke AFTER his Last Passover Suffering in Luke 24, and read Him speaking of his SUFFERING. His Suffering, "according to the LAW AND THE PROPHETS AND THE PSALMS."

Since then--since I HEARD Jesus' words with "ears thou hast dug for me", I can scarcely read anywhere or anything in the entire Bible or I read Jesus Christ, Crucified, and Buried, and RAISED according to the Scriptures the third day! The very Confession of Faith of true Christianity! And I know I am on the right track -- the track, footprints, signs, Jesus left for his Church to search out and find and follow.

Does Jesus' Passover of Yahweh Suffering and Triumph have its place in your Matthew 12:40 theory? Does your version of the Passover of Yahweh in the end have an Exodus 15 in it?! If it does not have "The Song of Moses and of The Lamb" prominently on its "third day", go rethink your theory, because it is vain!

Does Jesus' Passover of Yahweh Suffering and Triumph have its place in your Matthew 12:40 theory? Does your version of the Passover of Yahweh in its "first day" have an Exodus 12/13 in it?! If it does not have the blood of the Lamb on the lintels of its entrance, go rethink your theory, because it is vain!

Does Jesus' Passover of Yahweh Suffering and Triumph have its place in your Matthew 12:40 theory? Does your version of the Passover of Yahweh in its central Day of Feast have an Exodus 13/14 in it?! If it does not have "That Day Selfsame Whole Day BONE DAY" "of great day sabbath" prominently on its "in between sabbath" ('metaksu sabbaton'), go rethink your theory, because it is vain!

I believe that the "three days and three nights" is an idiom and I explained this in an earlier post #71.

"Be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name" is also an idiom and it means to literally baptize as Jesus commanded in Matthew 28:19.

May God bless you and your family. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟109,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have wrestled with this a lot, and also some on personal experience (losing work at Nissan 1; and then getting new work the following year on Nisan 1). From personal experience, at least for my life, I think we just went through a double year rest cycle (7th and Jubilee Years - I literally had my last billable hour on a major project on the day before Nisan 1 two years ago; and God spoke to me regarding the 7th year rest; and then last year he spoke to me further regarding the Jubilee. In January of this year, almost 2 years later, by my surprise the client contacted me to work again with them, but then I did not receive the signed contract, and not because I wasn't trying, until Nisan 1 at end of March!). I think the sowing and harvest cycle is part of the reason for the 1/1 and 7/1 jewish calendar dates.
Regarding Jubilee and its impact on Passover, I'm not sure on that. I generally don't see any scriptural reason to start Jewish year at 7/1 (jewish calendar)

I am curious as to why you believe that the OT Law of Moses Jewish calendar matters for your employment. Christians are not under the OT Law of Moses nor are they expected to use their calendar of feasts and fasts. Christians are under the NT Law of Christ.

Galatians 3:23-26
Now before faith came, we were confined under the law (OT Law of Moses), kept under restraint until faith (NT law of Christ) should be revealed. 24 So that the law (of Moses) was our custodian until Christ came, that we might be justified by faith (NT law of Christ). 25 But now that faith (NT Law of Christ) has come, we are no longer under a custodian (OT Law of Moses); 26 for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith (NT Law of Christ).​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that the "three days and three nights" is an idiom and I explained this in an earlier post #71.
"Be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name" is also an idiom and it means to literally baptize as Jesus commanded in Matthew 28:19.
May God bless you and your family. :)
Which is supported by the Jewish Encyclopedia.
Jewish Encyclopedia – DAY
By : Emil G. Hirsch Michael Friedlander
In the Bible, the season of light (Gen. i. 5), lasting "from dawn [lit. "the rising of the morning"] to the coming forth of the stars" (Neh. iv. 15, 17). The term "day" is used also to denote a period of twenty-four hours (Ex. xxi. 21). In Jewish communal life part of a day is at times reckoned as one day; e.g., the day of the funeral, even when the latter takes place late in the afternoon, is counted as the first of the seven days of mourning; a short time in the morning of the seventh day is counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though of the first day only a few minutes remained after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day. Again, a man who hears of a vow made by his wife or his daughter, and desires to cancel the vow, must do so on the same day on which he hears of it, as otherwise the protest has no effect; even if the hearing takes place a little time before night, the annulment must be done within that little time. The day is reckoned from evening to evening—i.e., night and day—except in reference to sacrifices, where daytime and the night following constitute one day (Lev. vii. 15; see Calendar). "The day" denotes: (a) Day of the Lord; (b) the Day of Atonement; (c) the treatise of the Mishnah that contains the laws concerning the Day of Atonement (See Yoma and Sabbath).E. G. H. M. F.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=167&letter=D

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not struggling with anything. The gospels state, in no uncertain terms, that Peter and John were sent to make ready the Passover. They went and made ready the Passover. And they did this on the first day of unleavened bread when the Passover must be slain. All three of these statements are direct from the scriptures. If you believe something other than what these passages say, then you are the one struggling with an issue.

[Staff edit].

<<Peter and John were sent to make ready the Passover.>

Exactly; <<to make ready>>... to make ready FOR the passover. Not to make the meal of Passover, i.e., prepare / cook / roast a lamb.
Thanks, you said it. <<They went and made ready the Passover.>> So don't blame me for telling you the truth.

And they did this "on the first day when the passover must be slain"--"always, had to be slain" and 21 hours after, was in fact slain "on the very first day ye shall REMOVE leaven"-- removed the leaven of LIFE of the Christ it "thus was WRITTEN, He OUGHT to suffer". ...<<statements direct from the scriptures>> unlike 'on the first day of unleavened bread' where the words 'bread' and (elsewhere) 'feast' are ignes fatui, NOT <<from the scriptures>.

So help me God

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am curious as to why you believe that the OT Law of Moses Jewish calendar matters for your employment. Christians are not under the OT Law of Moses nor are they expected to use their calendar of feasts and fasts. Christians are under the NT Law of Christ.

Now before faith came, we were confined under the law (OT Law of Moses), kept under restraint until faith (NT law of Christ) should be revealed. 24 So that the law (of Moses) was our custodian until Christ came, that we might be justified by faith (NT law of Christ). 25 But now that faith (NT Law of Christ) has come, we are no longer under a custodian (OT Law of Moses); 26 for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith (NT Law of Christ).​

Amen

Upvote 0

Keath

Apr 21, 2017
Ft Lauderdale
✟12,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Talmud gives the reason for the Tishri civil calendar. It has to do with when God created the world. And I can tell you that the Sabbatical year cycle runs on the Tishri to Tishri calendar. I expect that the Jubilees do as well, though I still have to research that.
I don't see biblical support for that stance; but I have heard it discussed a lot. I do think the difference between sowing and reaping could account for both 1/1 and 7/1 though as those cycles would be offset by basically 6 months

Upvote 0

Keath

Apr 21, 2017
Ft Lauderdale
✟12,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'm not talking about salvation; just understanding God's natural order, which pre-dates the Law and the fall

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[Staff edit].

A. Interchangeability of terms: (All Bible data on Resurrection)
Bible Term………………..Duration in grave
Until the third day
……………………………..Mt 27:64 give orders for the grave to be made secure until the third day
In three days
……………………………..Mt 26:61 rebuild it in three days
……………………………..Mt 27:40 rebuild it in three days
……………………………..Mk 14:58 in three days I will build another made without hands.
……………………………..Mk 15:29 rebuild it in three days
……………………………..Jn 2:19-20 in three days I will raise it up
On the third day
……………………………..Mt 16:21 raised up on the third day
……………………………..Mt 17:23 raised on the third day
……………………………..Mt 20:19 on the third day He will be raised up
……………………………..Lk 9:22 be raised up on the third day
……………………………..Acts 10:40 God raised Him up on the third day
……………………………..1 Cor 15:4 raised on the third day
The third day
……………………………..Lk 18:33 the third day He will rise again
……………………………..Lk 24:7 the third day rise again
……………………………..Lk 24:21 it is the third day since these things happened
……………………………..Lk 24:46 rise again from the dead the third day
Three days later
……………………………..Mk 9:31 rise three days later
……………………………..Mk 10:34 and three days later He will rise again
After three days
……………………………..Mt 27:63 After three days I am to rise again
……………………………..Mk 8:31 after three days rise again
Three days and three nights
……………………………..Jonah 1:17 in the stomach of the fish three days and three nights.
Mt 12:40 for just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea monster, so for three days and three nights the Son of Man will be in the heart of the earth.

Upvote 0

Jennifer Rothnie

Jan 10, 2017
Washington
✟45,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you state that Jesus was betrayed by Judas on Wednesday? Is it because you believe that Judas was paid the thirty pieces of silver on Wednesday?

Probably because early Catholic tradition had Jesus' arrest taking place in the early hours of night on Wednesday, and so Wednesday was a fast day.
(As I mentioned in a previous post, Jesus actually could have legally ate the Passover at the beginning of Wed after sundown, which for the purposes of Passover reckoning would have been counted as part of Tuesday - as there were about 3 evenings at that time in history when people could celebrate the Passover due to which dating system (Pharisee or Saducee) they used. He then would have died around the time the Passover lambs were being slaughtered for the next evening Passover meal.)

Why they placed the arrest Wed. and crucifixion Fri. is not immediately clear, but might have been influenced by some fringe Jewish sects (like the Essenes) who tried to make every important day fall on a Wednesday, Fri, or Sunday and always situated Passover on the night after Tuesday which started Wednesday.

Later on (I'm not sure how many centuries later, I haven't researched the Catholic change of the days over time thoroughly yet) the meaning of the fast for many Catholics got changed from Judas betraying Jesus and Jesus' arrest to Judas 'conspiring' to betray Jesus - hence it often is called 'spy Wednesday' now.

The third century Didascalia Apostalorum describes this a bit:

The Didascalia Apostolorum in English

Upvote 0

4meta

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2013
✟29,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then I assume you must accept that Christ's body saw corruption, contrary to the Word of God?

Lol...I believe what the bible speaks while understanding & continuing to understand the metaphorical usage that often occurs in the bible. It's just connecting dots from the old to the new testament & vice-versa.

Acts 13: 33-37
33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.

35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

And it was spoken first & prophesied in the old testament.

Psalms 16: 10
10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Btw...I suggest you be careful assuming about others. It's the easiest way that can lead you to judge others without realizing it & can lead to unnecessary conflict. Instead of assuming just simply ask the individual a question if you want to get more understanding about him or her. Just a little something that was shared with me from a wise elderly person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

4meta

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2013
✟29,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I'm curious to know. What was considered the Law of Moses in the old testament? Are you implying that the Feasts of the Lord were created only for the Jews?

Upvote 0

Keath

Apr 21, 2017
Ft Lauderdale
✟12,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Do you think there is any benefit to resting one day a week? This 7 year rest principle is based on the same concept. Jesus said that man was not made for the sabbath, but the sabbath was made [as a beneficial element] for man. Not everything that does not have absolute value, then is marked as no value. If you don't find any value in discovery insights about our nature, the nature of this creation and/or God's nature from these things, I don't have a problem with that. But I enjoy pondering these things; and the Lord has taken advantage of my interest to commune with me at various times; not because these things are absolute, but because that is part of the package of how I am, so in his graciousness, he meets me. It is good to be gracious to the subtle revelations of God in another persons life, even when outside your experience (not everyone's donkey talks, or rug doesn't get dew)

Upvote 0

Anniejey

Apr 29, 2017
Washington, DC
✟7,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Hello, and welcome to CF!

Christ rose on the third day - not after three days.

He was buried quickly on Friday because the Sabbath was beginning. The Sabbath (Saturday) was a rest day, and He lay in the tomb. Early in the morning on the third day (the day after the Sabbath - Sunday), the women going to the tomb to care for His body found He had been resurrected. So He Rose between the ending of the Sabbath and early morning on Sunday.

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither the Passover nor the Feast of Unleavened Bread [ULB] are ever designated a Sabbath in the OT. As I have shown from scripture, in a previous post, the 1st and 7th days of ULB are designated holy convocations but they differ from the Sabbath in that the preparation and cooking of food was specifically permitted therefore no preparation day preceded either one of those days. There was only one Sabbath in passion week, the weekly Sabbath, and there was only one Parasceue/Preparation or Friday the day before the Sabbath. Other than the Sabbath, there was no day during passion week required a preparation day.

<<Neither the Passover nor the Feast of Unleavened Bread [ULB] are ever designated a Sabbath in the OT.>>

passover Abib 14, is not so designated, yes;
passover Abib 15, is designated a 'sabbath', Leviticus 23:11,15,16
passover Abib 15, is designated a 'sabbath' in the NT, John 19:31,39.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither the Passover nor the Feast of Unleavened Bread [ULB] are ever designated a Sabbath in the OT. As I have shown from scripture, in a previous post, the 1st and 7th days of ULB are designated holy convocations but they differ from the Sabbath in that the preparation and cooking of food was specifically permitted therefore no preparation day preceded either one of those days. There was only one Sabbath in passion week, the weekly Sabbath, and there was only one Parasceue/Preparation or Friday the day before the Sabbath. Other than the Sabbath, there was no day during passion week required a preparation day.

<<the 1st and 7th days of ULB are designated holy convocations but they differ from the Sabbath in that the preparation and cooking of food was specifically permitted therefore no preparation day preceded either one of those days.>>

The fifteenth day of the First Month the day of the feast, the great day sabbath of the passover, was filled with "the ethics" -- "Ethics...Law" of the Jews to BURY" the passover, written in Exodus and Leviticus.
The lamb had to be roasted and eaten (buried, assimilated with the mortality and corruptibility of the eater), and that which remained the next day had to be burned ---with FIRE--- strictly forbidden on the Sabbath of the LORD. And "burned", viz., BURIED, ashes to ashes, dust to dust. And "CARRIED OUT and burned"-- outside the city of wickedness, at the "Place-in-the-Rock" at Succoth, in the wilderness of desert (in the Valley of Bones) up to where they had to push on "That Selfsame BONE Day".

The people had to "move out with ALL THEIR MIGHT", being "chased out" and heavy laden with gold and dough and tents and children. Israel has never worked harder than on Abib 15 the passover's "great-day-of-sabbath".
They never worked harder, HOLY works "set apart" for "That Day the Selfsame WHOLE DAY BONE DAY" of the exodus and REDEMPTION from the "servile work" of bondage and slavery.

One will never fight as hard as when fighting for one's life.

On the Sixth Day they had to gather manna FOR TWO DAYS.

The Jews didn’t go on holiday, the “WENT OUT”, on HOLY day-of-PURPOSE!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Do you comprehend the utter hypocrisy of the position you are taking? You chide me for taking one passage literally and another figuratively yet you do exactly the same yourself.

You compare a holiday with Christ's passion? I don't think you realise how that makes you look.

He obviously does not believe the eyewitnesses on the road to Emmaus...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A. Interchangeability of terms: (All Bible data on Resurrection)
Bible Term………………..Duration in grave
Until the third day
……………………………..Mt 27:64 give orders for the grave to be made secure until the third day
In three days
……………………………..Mt 26:61 rebuild it in three days
……………………………..Mt 27:40 rebuild it in three days
……………………………..Mk 14:58 in three days I will build another made without hands.
……………………………..Mk 15:29 rebuild it in three days
……………………………..Jn 2:19-20 in three days I will raise it up
On the third day
……………………………..Mt 16:21 raised up on the third day
……………………………..Mt 17:23 raised on the third day
……………………………..Mt 20:19 on the third day He will be raised up
……………………………..Lk 9:22 be raised up on the third day
……………………………..Acts 10:40 God raised Him up on the third day
……………………………..1 Cor 15:4 raised on the third day
The third day
……………………………..Lk 18:33 the third day He will rise again
……………………………..Lk 24:7 the third day rise again
……………………………..Lk 24:21 it is the third day since these things happened
……………………………..Lk 24:46 rise again from the dead the third day
Three days later
……………………………..Mk 9:31 rise three days later
……………………………..Mk 10:34 and three days later He will rise again
After three days
……………………………..Mt 27:63 After three days I am to rise again
……………………………..Mk 8:31 after three days rise again
Three days and three nights
……………………………..Jonah 1:17 in the stomach of the fish three days and three nights.
Mt 12:40 for just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea monster, so shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Thankyou for proving me correct :)

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since the preparation and cooking of food was permitted the holy convocations did not require a day of preparation. All four gospels agree that Jesus was crucified on παρασκευή/parasceue.

<<convocations did not require a day of preparation>>. Yes, not as a rule. But when the day of <<the holy convocation>> was the Seventh Day Sabbath or the "sabbath" of the passover, <<the holy convocation ... require(d) a day of preparation>>.

Which is impossible to miss in the Last Passover of Jesus Christ. "The Preparation" Jesus would be BURIED on, John 19:31, and was finished buried on, John 19:42, is in Mark 15:42 "The Preparation WHICH IS The Fore-Sabbath" -- the "Sixth Day" of the week ('Friday'). "And That Day was The Preparation while the Sabbath Day was nearing" Luke 23:54.

In clearest possible distinction the day before, the day Jesus was crucified on and had died on, is called "The Preparation OF THE PASSOVER" -- the "Preparation" for the passover's "great-day-sabbath" which in John 19:31 and Matthew 27:57 Luke 23:54 and Mark 15:42 is being talked about.

The passover feast convocation and "sabbath" day had its own "Preparation" -- "The Preparation of the Passover", Abib 14. Check 2Chronicles 35.
And the Sabbath of the Lord had its own "Preparation, WHICH IS, The Fore-Sabbath". Check Exodus 16:5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
<<convocations did not require a day of preparation>>. Yes, not as a rule. But the day of <<the holy convocation>> was the Seventh Day Sabbath or the "sabbath" of the passover, <<the holy convocation ... require(d) a day of preparation>>.
Which is impossible to miss in the Last Passover of Jesus Christ. "The Preparation" Jesus would be BURIED on, John 19:31, and was finished buried on, John 19:42, is in Mark 15:42 "The Preparation WHICH IS The Fore-Sabbath" -- the "Sixth Day" of the week ('Friday'). "And That Day was The Preparation while the Sabbath Day was nearing" Luke 23:54.
In clearest possible distinction the day before, the day Jesus was crucified on and had died on, is called "The Preparation OF THE PASSOVER" -- the "Preparation" for the passover's "great-day-sabbath" which in John 19:31 and Matthew 27:57 Luke 23:54 and Mark 15:42 is being talked about.
The passover feast convocation and'"sabbath" day had its own "Preparation" -- "The Preparation of the Passover", Abib 14. Check 2Chronicles 35.
And the Sabbath of the Lord had its own "Preparation, WHICH IS, The Fore-Sabbath". Check Exodus 16:5.

I don't quite understand all this. A lot of calculating but no scripture which says exactly what you have said. Ex 16:5 is not about the the Passover or the feast of unleavened bread [ULB] it is about the preparation day which precedes the Sabbath. The Israelites gathered double on the 6th day so they would not work by gathering food, on the Sabbath.
.....I will say again there was only one Sabbath in Passion week and only one parasceue/preparation, the day we call Friday. Neither the 1st day nor the 7th day of ULB are ever called a Sabbath in the OT. They are called holy convocations which differ from the Sabbath in that the preparation and cooking of food is specifically permitted. If either day was considered to be Sabbaths, it surely would have been mentioned somewhere in the OT. I don't see how 2 Chronicles 35 supports your argument.

Upvote 0