how come bible colleges become lukewarm

Sri

Dec 26, 2006
✟8,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it is sad it seems freshman are on fire for God but then it dwindles down. people say they will get over it. how can this be. if the colleges are full of true believers then they would change the world and their cities for jesus and be filled with Gods presences. people would walk in freedom and not degrade eachother or defile the image we were created in. people would really minister to eachother rather than just seek a title to be in authority with. my prayer is that college campuses fall back in love with god. connect with eachother commute, network, reach out and equip eachother and stop setting limits on the potential people can have in christ. encourage eachothers god given dreams instead of hurting people or competing. there is to much ungodly competition. god should become the center again.

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,067.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My experience was that people did love Jesus when they completed Bible college. But it had become an intellectual appreciation for God as it was study study study. Academics aren't about compassion, prayer and how to love every person. Not that those things are there and mentioned, but its grades and academics that count for college certification just as in any school.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
When like-minded people are gathered in one place for too long, they begin to turn inward and compete over expertise. Jesus sent people outward. Being mixed in with the world can help people keep their edge and drive. It's not a bad thing, and studying theology together isn't detrimental -- it just needs to be balanced eventually with external challenges.

It can help to get a job off campus, volunteer in the community, get involved in biking clubs or other external activities that shake up the mind and premises.

Upvote 0

DannLeavitt

In Christ Alone.
May 14, 2014
New Brunswick
✟8,368.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I know in my own experience that it becomes more like a study/burden to read the Bible than a blessing. I remember through High School when I was on fire for the Bible and was excited each night to read more and learn something new. I recall doing the One Year and for years on end I "cheated" and read further ahead. I just loved it.

When in Bible school though, we have to analyse the textbook like an ancient manuscript. I realize that's what it is, but we sometimes forget that this is the Word of God and it still functions today. These days I sometimes get discouraged because now, when I am reading my devotion plans, I'm always recalling "Oh yeah, I just wrote a paper on that." We just cram so much "education" on the Bible into such a small time that we start thinking of it like a reading assignment instead of a life tool.

I think that once Bible school is over, it will resettle. I know for me, the summer tends to help me recharge because I don't have to write papers on every verse I read :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Would seminary at uni feed the intellect? I'd be happy if it does. My best friend says it doesn't feed anything but makes You analyze everything - something which I already do at times:
The issue is that Bible schools does not necessarily feed your spirit- man...rather it feeds your intellect!

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I went to a liberal arts Christian School taking Biblical studies for 4 years, and while some really grow in their faith, I find that taking Biblical Studies exhausts your faith.

I think it comes from the academic pressures when you are studying the Bible. The classes seem to be focused on certain exegesis and like others have said, an intellectual study of whatever part of the Bible you are studying. There is hardly room for practice or devotions. Though that isn't always the case. I had a Deuteronomy class where 15% of our grade was helping out at a soup kitchen or other centers to help people.

I know at the end of the semesters, I would just want nothing to do with the Bible or academia or anything, and just relax and rest and 'de-tox' from the semester. I think it would be wise for Bible students to go to charismatic churches because it provides such a contrast from what they are learning in the classroom.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I strongly disagree:
think it would be wise for Bible students to go to charismatic churches because it provides such a contrast from what they are learning in the classroom.

Upvote 0
G

GivingMyAll4Him

Gotta say - this hasn't been my experience at all. However, Bible Colleges and Universities are there to educate, not give "spiritual highs." They're often challenging, because students frequently enter with ideas that will be challenged and changed.

A school that challenges students to study scripture seriously, develop theologically, and become a better minister is not "lukewarm." If your school isn't doing that, find another school (seriously). "Lukewarm" is a word we use about institutions (schools, churches, youth programs, etc.) when we're spiritually off-center. Many times, it has nothing to do with the institution, and everything to do with us.

Upvote 0

aganagapao

Jul 27, 2014
United States
✟15,176.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Mmm, I gotta say that going to Bible college for a year helped me grow spiritually.
One thing that helps is to practice Lectio Divina...find a passage of Scripture that you believe you won't be academically scrutinizing in the near future and practice Lectio Divina using it. It will help balance the head with the heart.
For me, I need intellectual congruity before I can have my heart feel all emotional and whatnot. If something doesn't make sense to me, I have a hard time becoming passionate about it..or Him. So in many respects, the academia of Bible colleges/universities have helped me. Granted, I only have a year experience, but I know a lot of my peers hated it. They thought it was ruining the "spirituality" of it all, which I partially disagree with. There's a balance we must seek.
Jesus tells us to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. It's all about holistic balance. I can imagine how some universities probably tilt it a little too far one way, and how some churches and congregations tilt it too far the other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
There is hardly room for practice or devotions. Though that isn't always the case. I had a Deuteronomy class where 15% of our grade was helping out at a soup kitchen or other centers to help people.
For a school to stay regionally accredited, they need to keep academic rigor in focus.

Christian colleges encourage their teachers to relate history with faith, start the class with prayer... but there are standards for content that needs to be covered. Class is for learning; dorm life and student activities are for socialization. Chapel is sometimes a daily event. RA's often instigate spiritual gatherings, and visiting speakers inspire students to start new clubs.

Personal faith choices are valued when the school doesn't get overly involved in spiritual life, so there are pro's to that. Just like above, where people felt differently about Charismatic input.

The soup kitchen activity was probably built into a service-learning course, which is a viable trend these days in secular schools.

Also, there has been a trend recently of hiring faculty who are slightly more diverse than before -- as long as they are willing to sign statements that they will comply with the mission of the school.

The issue is that Bible schools does not necessarily feed your spirit- man...rather it feeds your intellect!

Upvote 0