Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And you think that the Democrats really cared if he was guilty or not? Do you believe the process of calling witnesses in the House was "fair" and non-partisan? You think that not allowing witnesses to be called by both parties showed an overwhelming desire to "find the truth"?
Republicans had witnesses testify in the House hearings. It is hard to recognise this though because their testimonies ended up being damning of Trump.

The Whistleblower was denied because of legal protection of whistleblowers
The Bidens were denied because they are irrelevant.

The Senate could have insisted on them in the Senate trial though, all they needed was to vote, they have the majority.

How about the call to impeach Trump over and over from even before he did a single thing as President?
The House has only tried to impeach Trump once. That was due to the Ukraine shakedown. The house have not otherwise held any other votes to impeach Trump.

You really believe that this was a honest search for truth?
I think the House did a very good job in their investigations and hearings.
I think the republicans and their media outlets did a despicable thing in trying to convince people that Republicans weren't allowed in the closed testimony, weren't allowed to ask questions and weren't able to present witnesses. None of this was true.
I think the Senate were despicable in denying witnesses and evidence.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The House gets to call witnesses when the case is IN THE HOUSE. How hard is that for people to understand? They made the decision that they didn't need to hear any more witnesses when they ended their investigation and sent it to the Senate.
This right wing talking point is simply untrue.
The House hearings are an investigation into wrong doing. Much like what the police or justice department do. They gather evidence and when they feel they have enough to present a case they make a vote and then pass those charges onto the Senate for a trial.
The House hearings aren't a trial.

The House doesn't get to tell the Senate how to run its business any more than the Senate gets to tell the House how to run it's business.
Just like when a prosecutor takes a case to trial, the House and the House Managers get to request presenting witnesses. There is no rule to state that only witnesses testifying in the house are allowed to testify in the Senate. The "rule" that Trump defenders argue (and is propagated by right wing media), is non existent.

The House determined it's portion of the process was done when it walked the Articles of Impeachment over to the Senate and said that it provided overwhelming evidence to prove their case.
No, The House take House Managers into the Senate to present the prosecution's case. That comes with a request to present witnesses and documents.
It is blatantly untrue to say that the House' responsibility ends when the articles are given to the Senate.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually having affairs makes a person unable to get most levels of security clearance because it makes a person more susceptible to being blackmailed.

As an aside, so does having foreign business interests and mountains of debt. But hey:
160504160857-03-donald-trump-0504-large-169.jpg

I don't think it is as obvious that Trump is only doing what is best for himself.

If nothing else, his vindictive, divisive rhetoric should be evidence for that.

I see evidence that he has proven to be what is best for the US economy as well. And he didn't need the presidency to become famous or rich.

No, but he did need it for the sort of credibility and validation he seemed to have been looking for.

How exactly did the Clintons become multi-millionaires as civil servants? Same with the Obamas?

They didn't. They got rich from writing books and doing speaking engagements.

What has he gained from being President?

Prestige, power, control, authority, credibility (in some folks' eyes at least).

There's also a pretty strong indication that the revenues generated from leasing his properties to campaign functions and the secret service more than covers the salary that he gives away.

He could be spending all his time hanging around the pool and playing golf...and he would still be making money.

Sure, he could be - and that was the logic Howard Stern (who's known him for years) used to surmise that Trump didn't really want to win, but that he ran merely to pump sales of his latest book. But who knows - there's more to life than money. Most politicians could make tons more in the private sector, but few jobs hold that much power.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
As an aside, so does having foreign business interests and mountains of debt.

He had foreign business interests before he became president. And debt is part of investing and normal business. I suspect that your employer owes money as well as hopeful makes money.

And do you really believe that the book deals and speeches would have happened if they weren't president. Do you expect their quality of writing to become a classic? Did you even read any of these books? I personally believe they are rich off their "foundations"....Do you really believe that Chelsea Clinton got a $900,000/year first job out of college because she was that much better than the other graduates?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
As an aside, so does having foreign business interests and mountains of debt. But hey:
160504160857-03-donald-trump-0504-large-169.jpg

If nothing else, his vindictive, divisive rhetoric should be evidence for that.

No, but he did need it for the sort of credibility and validation he seemed to have been looking for.

They didn't. They got rich from writing books and doing speaking engagements.

Prestige, power, control, authority, credibility (in some folks' eyes at least).

There's also a pretty strong indication that the revenues generated from leasing his properties to campaign functions and the secret service more than covers the salary that he gives away.

Sure, he could be - and that was the logic Howard Stern (who's known him for years) used to surmise that Trump didn't really want to win, but that he ran merely to pump sales of his latest book. But who knows - there's more to life than money. Most politicians could make tons more in the private sector, but few jobs hold that much power.

Would other Presidents and candidates not run up big bills for campaign events? Someone is making that money. Why wouldn't he use his own properties for these events. They are designed to his tastes. Would it somehow be more honorable if he ran up those big bills at someone else's properties? Should other presidents avoid staying at their own homes when doing campaign events? (they still need to be staffed, catered, etc...) Was Obama more honorable for taking over other people's golf courses on his vacations to Hawaii where he didn't own any property? How about the couple whose wedding got bumped because of a last minute golf trip by Obama.

Like it or not, it costs a lot of money to provide staff and security for ALL our presidents. Don't blame this on Trump.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I own and have read a book written by Obama, before he even considered being president.

I doubt that he hadn't considered being president at the point that he wrote that book...however, how about the rest of everyone's books. They are all multi-millionaires without ever working in the private sector. I haven't bought any of their books. Again, people don't usually get multi-millions off a book unless they are phenomenal writers like JK Rowlings.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I know I won't ever make over $100,000 in a year in spite of the fact people's lives are literally in my hands. How about you?

I am not sure what they are doing now that justifies their wealth. At least we know where Trumps came from.

FYI. Most politicians and autobiographers use ghostwriters and don't really write their own books.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I doubt that he hadn't considered being president at the point that he wrote that book...however, how about the rest of everyone's books. They are all multi-millionaires without ever working in the private sector. I haven't bought any of their books. Again, people don't usually get multi-millions off a book unless they are phenomenal writers like JK Rowlings.
Trump was a multimillionaire before he reached puberty. His father illegally gave him millions upon millions without paying a cent in tax.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Correction..."3rd US PRESIDENTIAL Impeachment". I assumed that the topic of discussion was already defined. ( I just added "US" to clarify that my discussion didn't include the time the president of some PTA was removed from office ).
And, for the third time now, there were 3 witnesses at PRESIDENT CLINTON'S Senate trial who had not previously appeared before the House. So your claims about precedent are flat out wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But the federal judges are not put in position by a vote of the citizens of the United States. This is a more significant trial and a different branch of the government.
I'm curious as to the rationale behind why it would be okay to introduce new witnesses during the Senate trial portion of a judicial impeachment, but not a presidential impeachment. How does the significance of the trial or the branch of government impact that?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is Romney special or his opinions carry more significance?

Yes. He clearly was sincere and took his oath seriously before God. The rest of his GOP colleagues were afraid to vote against the President. He put the country over party.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Yes. He clearly was sincere and took his oath seriously before God. The rest of his GOP colleagues were afraid to vote against the President. He put the country over party.

Was he just as sincere when he through his gay aide under the bus a few years back?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He had foreign business interests before he became president.

So what? We were talking about exposures to outside influence and blackmail fuel. Those foreign entanglements are a problem regardless of when they started.

And debt is part of investing and normal business. I suspect that your employer owes money as well as hopeful makes money.

Actually, my employer doesn't carry any debt, but that's sort of beside the point. Again, we were talking about exposures to outside influence and blackmail fuel. Trump has been over-leveraged and had debt problems a number of times in his career such that he's been considered a significant credit risk. And that's just Don Sr.; Jared has had his own set of problems.

So yes, Bill Clinton's affairs are the sort of thing that federal agents would look at and frown upon when investigating someone for a clearance, but so are the dealings of Trump and his family members.

And do you really believe that the book deals and speeches would have happened if they weren't president.

For the Clintons, Bill had already been the governor of Arkansas and both he and Hillary were highly-trained lawyers. No, they wouldn't have had nearly the success that they did had Bill not become president, but they would have been affluent.

Obama's first two books were released in 1995 and 2006, and he won a Grammy in 2006 for the audiobook version of the second one - all before he was even nominated. His presidency obviously juiced his fortunes, but he was a successful author prior to that.

Do you expect their quality of writing to become a classic? Did you even read any of these books?

I haven't read those specific books (though I have read other political autobiographies), but a lot of people have. Obama is widely considered to be a very good author.

I personally believe they are rich off their "foundations"....

You're welcome to believe whatever you want to believe, but as far as I'm aware, that's a baseless fantasy that exists only in your mind and in the mind of right-wing conspiracy theorists. You can argue that their foundations (particularly the Clintons') provide a degree of publicity that boosts their cache and marketability, but as far as direct payments go, you're just wrong. The financials of these organizations are freely available.

https://www.obama.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-Form-990-BOF-public-disclosure-copy.pdf
PolitiFact - Democrat pundit: The Clintons 'take no salary,' get 'no personal benefit' from foundation

But you know who did blatantly use their foundation for personal gain?
Donald J. Trump Foundation - Wikipedia

whomp whomp

Do you really believe that Chelsea Clinton got a $900,000/year first job out of college because she was that much better than the other graduates?

No. But that's not relevant to what you asked, so I don't know what your point is.

Would other Presidents and candidates not run up big bills for campaign events?

I'm not talking about running up big balls for the campaign. I'm talking about his campaign running up big bills at properties that he owns. That's money that goes into his pocket.

Someone is making that money. Why wouldn't he use his own properties for these events. They are designed to his tastes. Would it somehow be more honorable if he ran up those big bills at someone else's properties?

Yes. Yes, it absolutely would be more honorable. Do you know what a conflict of interest is?

Should other presidents avoid staying at their own homes when doing campaign events? (they still need to be staffed, catered, etc...)

Yes, they need to be staffed. They don't need to charge $600/room/night to the secret service.

Was Obama more honorable for taking over other people's golf courses on his vacations to Hawaii where he didn't own any property?

Yes.

How about the couple whose wedding got bumped because of a last minute golf trip by Obama.

That's on the property managers.

Like it or not, it costs a lot of money to provide staff and security for ALL our presidents. Don't blame this on Trump.

I don't blame the cost of security on Trump (well.... he travels a lot more than other presidents, so some of it really is his fault). What I blame him for is directing his travel to locations where he profits from government expenditures.

I doubt that he hadn't considered being president at the point that he wrote that book...

Again, his first book came out in 1995. Who knows what he'd thought about then, but he wasn't even a state senator at that point.

however, how about the rest of everyone's books. They are all multi-millionaires without ever working in the private sector.

Writing books and giving speeches constitutes working in the private sector. Back in the day, Hillary and both of the Obamas worked as lawyers in the private sector. The Obamas also held positions in NGO's and universities.

I haven't bought any of their books. Again, people don't usually get multi-millions off a book unless they are phenomenal writers like JK Rowlings.

Maybe you should look up how many copies their books have sold. Maybe you should get their books yourself. Maybe you should pick up more books overall because you continue to get some really basic facts wrong. I don't know what you read, but it's obviously not good enough.

To tie this to a previous thread - this is exactly the sort of argument I typically have with fans of Limbaugh and similar commentators. Those guys give the illusion of educating their listeners when all they really do is pollute their minds with half-truths and innuendos.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
And, for the third time now, there were 3 witnesses at PRESIDENT CLINTON'S Senate trial who had not previously appeared before the House. So your claims about precedent are flat out wrong.

Okay...give me names of the 3 witnesses so I can research it for myself. I'm teachable and excellent at research.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was he just as sincere when he through his gay aide under the bus a few years back?

I am not going to judge his entire life....and frankly, this is just another diversion tactic.

• Haha
Reactions: blackribbon
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I have found the three witnesses heard in the Senate during Clinton's impeachment trial were Monica Lewinsky, Vernon Jordan, the Washington lawyer who sought a job for Ms. Lewinsky, and Sidney Blumenthal, a White House adviser to whom Clinton gave a false account of the relationship

Are you saying they never testified in the House portion before they drew up the Articles of Impeachment for Bill Clinton?

In the Chamber: Senate Moves Toward a Vote to Call 3 Witnesses in Clinton's Trial

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I have found the three witnesses heard in the Senate during Clinton's impeachment trial were Monica Lewinsky, Vernon Jordan, the Washington lawyer who sought a job for Ms. Lewinsky, and Sidney Blumenthal, a White House adviser to whom Clinton gave a false account of the relationship

Are you saying they never testified in the House portion before they drew up the Articles of Impeachment for Bill Clinton?

In the Chamber: Senate Moves Toward a Vote to Call 3 Witnesses in Clinton's Trial

Now again, tell me about the new witnesses used in Clinton's Senate trial and how my information was a half-truth, misleading, misinformed, or a lie.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Correct. All three had appeared before Starr's grand jury, but not the House. The House heard no witness testimony at all during its impeachment inquiry.

I'd also point out that the House doesn't appear to have had any witness testimony during Johnson's impeachment either. All witnesses were presented to the Senate only, at least as far as I can tell.

Impeachment of Andrew Johnson - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You mean an acquittal is an acquittal?

If that's it, then you are right. However, that assumes that nothing is made of how close the losing side came, and we cannot honestly say that nobody has been making that point.

The “losing side” is the United States...

Upvote 0